A boot dilema

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

A boot dilema

Postby sfrog » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:01 pm

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ldum&cn=Ixí

Problem: I have a pair of boots from 10m normal ToC. I'd like to upgrade them. The issue is that I doubt very much I'll see a pair of tank boots from ICC 10 or 25 any time soon - and the last time I did a GDKP run in ToC, the boots went for way more then I can afford.
I have enough Frost badges right now to purchase enough Saronites to make the Boots of Kingly Upheaval. The issue is that I haven't finished my Frost Badge purchases. I still have yet to pick up the Kracken's or the Key. Given my limited Frost badge intake, is making these boots worth it ya think?
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Re: A boot dilema

Postby Barathorn » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:32 pm

If you won't upgrade the boots for a long time then go for the boots. If you have a chance of better boots from PuG's then don't go for them. I would personally get your 264 badge gear first and by the time you have that the price of PS will most likely have dropped and you can get the boots crafted cheaper.

That is my plan anyway, I have 232 boots, for now they will suffice.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby sabedoriaclark » Thu Feb 25, 2010 4:39 pm

I have the ToC 10man boots. I'm not likely to see the boots from Sindragosa, or even GToC, anytime soon. So I'm in the same position. I am currently saving money, planning to get the Primordial Saronite for the boots off the AH rather than spend badges. I wouldn't spend badges on boots unless you have all the 264 offset items already. I'm going to have all 264 offset AND T10 2piece before I'll put any badges toward Saronite.
sabedoriaclark

Postby Kisko » Thu Feb 25, 2010 8:05 pm

No ToC25 pugs at your realm?
Kisko

Postby Sedrea » Fri Feb 26, 2010 6:44 am

I went for the Pillars of Might for my first saronite purchase, used an alt to grab one, badges on my main for another, and bought 6 of them for 1.5k each. If you can pug TotC25 these drop off Lord Jaraxxus.

Dawnbreaker Sabatons
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47269
1700 Armor
+101 Strength
+139 Stamina
Red Socket
Socket Bonus: +6 Stamina
Item Level 245
Equip: Increases defense rating by 53 (10.78 @ L80).
Equip: Increases your dodge rating by 45 (1.14% @ L80).
Equip: Increases your parry rating by 53 (1.08% @ L80).
Sedrea

Postby sfrog » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:51 pm

There are GDKP runs for ToC 25. However as I said earlier, going to those are way out of my budget.

I can afford to make the boots because I'll be buying the Saronites with Frost badges and I have the rest of the mats already. Basically I'll be making the boots from things I've farmed up instead of spending gold.
Without Honor...there is no Hope.
sfrog

Postby Arjuna » Sun Feb 28, 2010 10:45 pm

if you get a shot at 10-man heroic toc there are a pair of boots dropping from the twins that are good too.
HUZZAH! How many points do I receive? :D
Arjuna

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:32 am

What I would do in your case is just to keep attending the G-DKP runs and building up your gold reserves. It's what I did on my dk for the few icc25 g-dkp runs I attended and I had enough gold saved to start buying trophies/gear in ToC25 hehe.

You gotta look at it this way.

Current gear? Next upgrades? Availability? Worst piece of gear?

For me, my ony10 helm is the worst piece of my gear so I am saving my badges to get the 251 helm. I am not raiding much of icc, a pug every 2-3 weeks, so I don't really care about building my 2T10 and will go for the cata chest once I get the helm. I upgrade my gear looking at worst piece of current gear and gear access. Keep in mind that EoFs will be flowing out of your hands come 3.3.5 when we have the Ruby Sanctum available.

As far as I can tell there are 3(?) bosses there. And if the final boss drops a 5-emblem bag like Sarth then you are looking at 6 definite + possible 10 EoFs more every week from there, assuming you can do both the 10 and 25 versions.

Not to mention the heroic settings if they work like ToC which I doubt however.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Sedrea » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:16 am

sfrog wrote:I can afford to make the boots because I'll be buying the Saronites with Frost badges and I have the rest of the mats already. Basically I'll be making the boots from things I've farmed up instead of spending gold.

I'd buy the boots if you don't want to wait to get the legs. The two other options drop from ICC25 and ICC10 heroic, but the itemization on the crafted boots is better if you need hit and don't need defense.

Are the boots the best EH upgrade for you? If you have enough EoF's for 5 saronite's I'd be tempted to compare your current chest and the Cata chest. If you're happy with your hit rating it might be better to upgrade that first then craft the boots.
Sedrea

Postby jathitimus » Sat Mar 06, 2010 4:14 am

The key here is that you are thinking of using your mains badges to buy the boots. If you break it down you are looking at spending over 100 badges to get some 264 boots. The badge chest is less than 100 and way more statpoints for the slot.

Get your other badge 264 stuff first, then consider the boots. If you have gold or alt badges to steal by all means go for it, but yo uare shooting yourself in the foot if you use your badges on the boots now.

the armory link didnt work for me, turns out it was the special character. Looks like you allready have all the badge stuff anyways and the boots and the legs so nvm :P
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." - Douglas Adams
jathitimus

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice