Gemming help needed (Thick or solid)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gemming help needed (Thick or solid)

Postby lanerios » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:14 am

Hello,

Currently I only run heroics and normals with the following gear:

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character- ... =machadiel

(Got Liadrin battle helm, still show ocolus helm there)

Now I got the powerful earthsiege meta. And realised I only have yellow gems (+16 defense rating) in all slots.

I was wondering if it was feasable to just change them all to solid and still be able to tank heroics and normals. (at 536 defense with all gems)
lanerios

Re: Gemming help needed (Thick or solid)

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 5:15 am

Not until you get more +defense gear. You need 535 Defense for heroics.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 6:38 am

Ok, had an actual look at your armory.

Powerful Earthseige = doing it wrong. Get Austere in there (+2% armor is a damn sight better than a 10% stun duration reduction for PVE)

At 26k health, you definately can't leave yourself open to being crit in heroics. Just keep things as they are and as you upgrade slots with EoT gear then see if you have space to gem stamina rather than defense. Once you're in full T9/ICC heroics gear, chances are you won't need a single defense gem.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Radience » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:04 am

Having all your gear enchanted would a good start.
Radience

Postby Pannacea » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:52 am

Enchant your gear, put epic gems in, insted of cheeap ones. You will see a difference then.
Pannacea

Postby Njall » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:26 am

Pannacea wrote:Enchant your gear, put epic gems in, insted of cheeap ones. You will see a difference then.

Some folks are running under budget constraints. If they are running heroics and gearing up, the epics may not be worth the cost for something they may only have for a few days. So the Rare gems might be the best fit - though again the uncommon gems are the best ratio of bang cash - assuming the minimal thresholds such as 435 Def can be reached.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:42 am

Radience wrote:Having all your gear enchanted would a good start.

He's got the +def enchants to his chest, cloak and shield. I'll admit I missed the fact he hadn't done the rep-grindy enchants. Really no reason not get the AC head enchant since he's got the Rep for it.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Fri Feb 19, 2010 9:39 am

I disagree with the recommendation for the 2% armor meta. For someone who runs normals and heroics only, especially someone struggling with defense minimums, I recommend the eternal earthsiege. +5% block value will actually help you quite a bit on that content, and the +defense from your meta gem will free up space to start switching gems from pure def to def/sta.

Overall, go down my gem and enchant guide (link in sig) and look at all the gems and enchants marked with the level 1 logo (in green). Use those across the board and you should be in a better position to wrangle normals and heroics.

Good luck!
Digren

Postby lanerios » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:37 am

few pointers:

at 300G a gem, versus the 20G a gem for the blue ones, guess what I take when all I run are heroics and normals?
Meta, ok, agreed I will change it when I raise the 800G for that meta :p
Enchants, I just got most of the gear, so I didn't have time to enchant it, but some items are:

Stamina wrist enchant 300G
weapon: Mongoose (according to guides the most beneficial enchant) 600G
hands: I really have no clue what to do here, the threat one is 300G

Just got Seal of the pantheon (HoL normal drop) and finally changed everything to pure stam gems, got the +55 stam and agi legpatch (only one available on AH), and will get the head and shoulder enchant fixed tonight (normal shoulder enchant until I get the last rep for Hodir).

Just tanked PoS heroic partially (until after krick, healer d/c'd and everyone left) and had a great time. Healer commented on me barely needing any heals somehow.
lanerios

Postby Digren » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:17 pm

lanerios wrote:Meta, ok, agreed I will change it when I raise the 800G for that meta :p

The mats for an earthsiege diamond transmute should cost 35g MAX on your server. Offer to tip an alchemist 100g for their transmute, and offer a 100g tip to a jeweler for the cut. You'll have the finished meta for 235g in less than 15 minutes.
Digren

Postby Wrathy » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:53 pm

You sir, have a very over inflated economy you your server. My suggestion to you is to find a kind person who will do all that stuff for free. If you were on my server I would. There are people out there who dont care about money, and hopefully there is someone like that in your guild.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Kelaan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:08 pm

I use non-epic gems on my DK, too. Nothing wrong with that.

lanerios wrote:Meta, ok, agreed I will change it when I raise the 800G for that meta :p

Buy the raw gem, or get it transmuted, and then find someone willing to cut it. I know my DK (a JC) would level off of it, so I'd cut it for a pittance (or free).

Your wrist enchant sounds remarkably expensive. Consider looking at the cost of raw materials when bought in relative bulk (esp as you do random heroics and get materials).

A titanium weapon chain is a great enchant on a budget.
For your hands, the threat one is good, but so are the other ones. All are likely to be expensive, unless you're an engineer.

I agree, your server's prices sound horrendously overinflated. Consider being patient and watching the AH over the course of a week (when you login, when you logout, etc) to see if prices fluctuate. Look at the difference in cost between a cut gem and an uncut one, and look in trade chat (or guild!) to cut them for free or for a tip.
Kelaan

Postby Fiaraa » Fri Feb 19, 2010 7:02 pm

lanerios wrote:hands: I really have no clue what to do here, the threat one is 300G

Buy the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=38376
Should be about 10-20g on AH.

Edit: Or free if a guildie can make them. Or cheaper if you buy the mats and get a guildie to create them.

Seconding titanium weapon chain, too.
Fiaraa

Postby Torquemada » Fri Feb 19, 2010 8:54 pm

lanerios wrote:few pointers:

at 300G a gem, versus the 20G a gem for the blue ones, guess what I take when all I run are heroics and normals?
Meta, ok, agreed I will change it when I raise the 800G for that meta :p
Enchants, I just got most of the gear, so I didn't have time to enchant it, but some items are:

Stamina wrist enchant 300G
hands: I really have no clue what to do here, the threat one is 300G

Just got Seal of the pantheon (HoL normal drop) and finally changed everything to pure stam gems, got the +55 stam and agi legpatch (only one available on AH), and will get the head and shoulder enchant fixed tonight (normal shoulder enchant until I get the last rep for Hodir).

Just tanked PoS heroic partially (until after krick, healer d/c'd and everyone left) and had a great time. Healer commented on me barely needing any heals somehow.

You should still work to put epic gems in your T9 gear, by either running Wintergrasp and doing the quests every week and then selling your honor for gems in Orgrimmar, or by throwing extra emblems into gems in Dalaran. I suggest the honor method, as you should easily be able to clear 2 gems a week by running just WG once or twice. I'd suggest working on Jewelcrafting as your second profession instead of Herbalism, so that you can cut your own gems. It'll take some work to get it up to the level you need it, but it's worth the payoff. Otherwise, go Enchanter and when you run heroics you'll always have someone in group disenchanting drops and you'll have a shot at winning it yourself to supply you with mats for enchanting the rest of your gear.

I don't know how your economy is, but it sounds borked. Your cheaped weapon enchant of value is going to be the Titanium Weapon Chain, which is almost as good a threat enchant as Accuracy. Don't worry about Mongoose if all you're doing is heroics. The wrist enchants may be expensive in terms of mats, but if you run enough heroics with enchanters you should be able to pick up most of the mats. Otherwise, check the AH, as if your economy is anything like mine the mats market has been killed by "Free" materials from heroic runs. Then the issue is finding an enchanter in town to do it and probably tipping him/her a bit.

I probably would have gone for the offset Emblem of Triumph shoulders and helm(It's what I've done on my alts), with the gloves, legs, and chest from Tier 9 as you aren't raiding. Also not sure if you bought your neck recently or further back, but there's a better one for Emblems of Valor available.

The big issue you're running into with Defense is the fact that your chest and ring don't have any defense at all. If you were to pick up the T9 chest and say the Valor ring, it would go a long way to help your defense issue at present. That would clear you up for an Essence of Gossamer as your second trinket, and help with your survivability a good bit.
Torquemada

Postby Aedh » Sun Feb 21, 2010 5:43 am

As everyone has stated, 300g for a meta is ridiculous. Depending on the day of the week and whether I feel mean, the price of an uncut earthsiege diamond is between 35g and 50g on my realm. The most a cut meta goes for is 100g. This is on a backwater realm too.

If you are spending more than a tip for enchants you need to do more heroics. Almost all of my enchants have been almost free because of all the enchanting mats that you can get from running heroics.
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice