Threat issues

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Threat issues? Help!

Postby Anch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:00 am

Hey guys I'm new here. Long time reader, first time poster. I'm being driven crazy. For the past week or so it seems that I'm not generating as much threat as I used to even with a perfect rotation on the same bosses.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Mannoroth&cn=Ceciliana
This is my current gear setup. The threat issues began after I made a few upgrades so I figured that had to be it except I didn't really lose anything that should have caused this substantial threat loss.
-I upgraded from ilvl232 T9 gloves to the pair I'm currently using.
-I also upgraded from my ilvl 245 T9 Chest to my current one and upgraded one trinket from the Ony blood talisman to the corpse tongue which is mostly situational.
- Upgraded from the 226 badge neck to the current one.

I've noticed a HUGE sink in my threat and I have no idea where it is coming from.
Admittedly I lost a slight amount of hit from the necklace and dipped under the hit cap by a little bit but this threat loss occurred before I upgraded that neck.

The only thing I can really think of is that my original gloves had +2% threat +10 parry and I didn't put those on this pair. I didn't think that enchant would make such a substantial difference in my threat generation.

Does anyone think they can help me out on this? It is driving me crazy.
Anch

Re: Threat issues? Help!

Postby lythac » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:25 am

Are you getting the same buffs, are the bosses getting the same debuffs?
Are you getting the same number of MDs/Tricks?
Has a warrior decided to start putting Vigilance on you?
What fight(s) are you seeing this on?
Is this threat reduction from eyeballing omen?
Is your threat reduction a reduction or are DPS closer to you making you think you have lost threat where in fact that are producing more threat?
CBH or cake?
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Shathus » Wed Feb 17, 2010 12:43 pm

Cake.

The glove enchant is the only statistical thing I can think of to cause a change in threat. The +hit from the necklace shouldn't be that big, plus you probably gained some strength as well for more threat.

As lythac covered, other than messing up your 969, is the external factors. Is it another tank catching up to you, or the dps and are you generating less threat, or just closer to the dps (did someone buy a bunch of tier/emblem gear recently, etc). If you were in ICC, have you not been using Glyph of Sense Undead and losing the 1% damage? Has someone been buffing with the kings drum (you'd lose 2% strength which could be less threat).

That's all I can think of other than logs for people to look at.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Anch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:09 pm

Pretty much the same buffs/ md and tricks amounts. Not being vigilanced.
I'm seeing this on fights where there aren't many external raid factors to deal with such as moving around and stuff. Things like Jaraxxus/Twins and even Anub. In ICC it seems about normal though and I've been using the sense undead glyph. The threat decrease is from eyeballing omen but before I started even glancing at omen it felt like something was off because Aggro is being more frequently pulled off of me and when I glance at omen sometimes dps are right there. This of course happened before but not to this extent.

I think its a combination of both threat reduction and dps being closer to me. Maybe it's that others are gearing themselves faster then I am so it's closing the gap.

To be quite honest I'm not exactly sure what you mean by CBH/cake

edit: and to answer the other question, I'm executing my 969 perfectly. Without slip-ups for an entire fight sometimes just to test and see what may be wrong. Also to Shathus: That's exactly what I was thinking the hit loss shouldn't even make that big of a difference because I've gained strength from it which should make up for it.
Anch

Postby Talderas » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:26 pm

Anch wrote:To be quite honest I'm not exactly sure what you mean by CBH/cake

Do you prefer child bearing hips or cake?
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Anch » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:23 pm

OH well now I feel silly. Cake.
Anch

Threat issues

Postby lralexl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 7:39 pm

As of the last raid or two(ICC25/10), I seem to be struggling to keep threat from our warrior OT and a rogue or two. I am over the hit cap and will be replacing my chest for the frost badge one to expertise soft cap me. Any other suggestions?

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Grevier
lralexl

Re: Threat issues

Postby blakk » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:54 pm

you could try using the 245 ret libram. it's a nice tps boost
blakk

Postby lralexl » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:06 pm

blakk wrote:you could try using the 245 ret libram. it's a nice tps boost

Thanks for the response.

I do have that libram, and you're right I should use it for non-heavy tank damage fights we have on farm. I forgot all about it :)

Any other suggestions welcome.
lralexl

Postby Ragingsoul » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:27 pm

well, IMO, it's nothing you can do about it, blizz again over did it.
I'm doing 800 more dps than our warrior tank, yet, he pulls aggro off me on queen with no effort. I'm using the ret libram too, but it's not enough. really starting to piss me off btw. not much more I can do to boost my threat, I'll switch to a slow mainhand dps weapon I guess, pretty stupid if it has to come to that, when you do that much more dps already.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby Blar » Wed Feb 17, 2010 9:35 pm

are the rogues using tricks on each other or on the warrior?
Blar

Postby Anch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:50 pm

Ragingsoul wrote:well, IMO, it's nothing you can do about it, blizz again over did it.
I'm doing 800 more dps than our warrior tank, yet, he pulls aggro off me on queen with no effort. I'm using the ret libram too, but it's not enough. really starting to piss me off btw. not much more I can do to boost my threat, I'll switch to a slow mainhand dps weapon I guess, pretty stupid if it has to come to that, when you do that much more dps already.

what exactly do you mean over did it? I'm not aware of any changes they've made and threat was fine before. Hell as a paladin we're generally threat rockets. It's just as of late I'm having the same problem
Anch

Postby Kisko » Thu Feb 18, 2010 3:47 pm

Anch wrote:what exactly do you mean over did it? I'm not aware of any changes they've made and threat was fine before. Hell as a paladin we're generally threat rockets. It's just as of late I'm having the same problem

May I ask what kind of TPS numbers you usually see at Omen when raid-buffed? Was it changing since your gear upgrades?

I remember it's typically 10-12k for me and I haven't seen yet DPS that can sustain that for a long time.
You can have a problem if you in 6-8k range.

Looking at your gear ... weapon is kind of weak, and someone will correct me, but I believe this white damage contribute quite a lot to your TPS.

DPS recently getting a lot of ICC loot, so their DPS and TPS increases and you may noticed that you starting to lag behind them.
Kisko

Postby Anch » Thu Feb 18, 2010 4:30 pm

I used to see at least 8-9k Tps on omen and now I'm struggling to even hit a stable 7k Tps.
Now for the past two weeks I am in the 6-8k range which is why this is such a problem. Even switching back to my old gear just to test it out its still low. I have not changed my spec or glyphs either. It's driving me insane I don't know what it is and this is with perfect rotation on bosses where you just have to pretty much stand still.

And just like you mentioned now that people are gearing up in ICC it's becoming even harder. Especially since I have been extremely unlucky with drops in both ICC10 and ICC25. Do you think maybe once I snag my 2PC T10 bonus that it will help cushion out this loss?
Anch

Postby Ragingsoul » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:59 pm

Kisko wrote:
Anch wrote:what exactly do you mean over did it? I'm not aware of any changes they've made and threat was fine before. Hell as a paladin we're generally threat rockets. It's just as of late I'm having the same problem

May I ask what kind of TPS numbers you usually see at Omen when raid-buffed? Was it changing since your gear upgrades?

I remember it's typically 10-12k for me and I haven't seen yet DPS that can sustain that for a long time.
You can have a problem if you in 6-8k range.

Looking at your gear ... weapon is kind of weak, and someone will correct me, but I believe this white damage contribute quite a lot to your TPS.

DPS recently getting a lot of ICC loot, so their DPS and TPS increases and you may noticed that you starting to lag behind them.

it's all on the pull and phase change. my mages (arcane) are pulling 15k dps right at the pull. even with AW, it's hard. I deflected hammer or shield slam, and they can overaggro me. Same with the warrior tank. shield block at the start, with the threat buff of shield slam, if it crits, well, let me tell you, it's insane.

http://worldoflogs.com/reports/k3kikf8r ... 268&e=8753
check Kélyclarkson dps at the start of putricide. 18.2k dps. I was at 5k dps with AW at this time. I'm really watching for my expertise at the moment. having 1 hammer parried at the start can really be shit.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice