Different specc for trash?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Different specc for trash?

Postby Dendrah » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:18 am

I'm not using my retri build anymore. So I was thinking if I couldn't do something fun with it for tanking. My current specc is the common known crusader build.

I was thinking about bringing more AoE splash damage from my seal of commander as well as adding some crits from conviction. I sacrifice Vindication and JotJ as well as guardian combo for it. On the other hand I'm picking up reckoning.

I would also use this build for heroics. What is your idea?

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#faNrqLUrIufBm,wpHe,11403
Dendrah

Re: Different specc for trash?

Postby Zobel » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:24 am

You need to keep at least one point in JotJ to maximize Seal of Command procs. And 5/5 reckoning is overkill for most trash fights (instead of 3/5).
Zobel

Postby yappo » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:31 am

I go by 0/54/17, which is the standard 0/53/18 with a minor mod:

The three "optionals" in the prot tree are all in Reckoning. 2/2 SA. One point in SoC in the ret-tree. Glyphed DP, SoV and Hammer.

Works wonders for 12 - 15 minute heroics, and I generate an unholy amount of dps when clearing trash in ICC. I should, however, probably spec prot instead of holy as my "second" spec in order to pick up a proper set of talents and glyphs for raid-tanking bosses.
yappo

Postby Dendrah » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:10 am

Zobel wrote:You need to keep at least one point in JotJ to maximize Seal of Command procs. And 5/5 reckoning is overkill for most trash fights (instead of 3/5).

I see no connexion between SoComm and JotJ... Would you care to explain that?

I'll think about the 3/5 reckoning. More crits form conviction mighthelp more
Dendrah

Postby Dendrah » Thu Feb 18, 2010 1:13 am

yappo wrote:I go by 0/54/17, which is the standard 0/53/18 with a minor mod:

The three "optionals" in the prot tree are all in Reckoning. 2/2 SA. One point in SoC in the ret-tree. Glyphed DP, SoV and Hammer.

Works wonders for 12 - 15 minute heroics, and I generate an unholy amount of dps when clearing trash in ICC. I should, however, probably spec prot instead of holy as my "second" spec in order to pick up a proper set of talents and glyphs for raid-tanking bosses.

You combine seal of command with glyph of seal of vengeance?

I didn't take 2/2 SA because I'm counting on sanctuary and divine plea or mana. In heroics your damage intake is so small that the mana from healing won't help you much anyway.
Dendrah

Postby yappo » Thu Feb 18, 2010 5:20 am

Dendrah wrote:
You combine seal of command with glyph of seal of vengeance?

I didn't take 2/2 SA because I'm counting on sanctuary and divine plea or mana. In heroics your damage intake is so small that the mana from healing won't help you much anyway.

Not all mobs come in packs (I consider 5-man bosses to be inlated mobs). So sealswitching. Also works well in ICC for them big skellies. Note as well that my second spec is holy, so I don't want to nerf myself TOO bad when tanking raids.

I have a pally alt tank with two prot specs. Speedrunning heroics with 0/53/18 was no fun at all due to manastarvation. I've basically come to the gear-level where I need 2/2 SA AND "pull more" to keep my mana running.
yappo

Postby theckhd » Thu Feb 18, 2010 7:33 am

Dendrah wrote:
Zobel wrote:You need to keep at least one point in JotJ to maximize Seal of Command procs. And 5/5 reckoning is overkill for most trash fights (instead of 3/5).

I see no connexion between SoComm and JotJ... Would you care to explain that?

I'll think about the 3/5 reckoning. More crits form conviction mighthelp more

The Judgements of the Just debuff application counts as a melee hit, and procs seals. Hence keeping at least 1/2 JotJ for a trash spec. If it helps, pretend the talent says "Also allows seals to proc off of your Judgement hits."

If you're tanking multiple mobs, or fast-swinging mobs, Reckoning will be a better point investment than Conviction. See the MATLAB link in my sig if you want pretty graphs.

I'm running two prot specs right now as well, though I've only shifted 3 points from DS/DG to Reckoning - the rest of the build is unaltered. The main difference is glyphs - I run DP/SoV/(HoSalv or RD) for my DS/DG spec, and DP/HotR/HoW for my "trash" spec.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Digren » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:39 am

I thought about replacing my healing spec with a second prot spec for trash, but really the only changes I'd make would be to move 1-2 talent points and switch 1-2 glyphs. I decided being a pinch healer when I wasn't needed to tank was better for my raid.
Digren

Postby Wrathy » Thu Feb 18, 2010 10:54 am

Yeah when it came down to it, and I went to respec my offspec for Lich King, I realized that moved two points around and had basically the same spec, however where the real utility lies is with the different glyphs. It is nice to have the ability to swap glyphs at random with out actually paying for tons of them. The last time i had an offspec which wasn't prot was back in Naxx. If your guild needs one of their tanks to go offspec to something else, that is another story (as dig suggested), but the other officers in my guild like to tell me that i get to go ret when hell freezes over, so dual prot it is...
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby rocket » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:20 pm

aww wrathy - you dont get to go holy for Dreamwalker? It is fun to stomp the other classes in healing!
rocket
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Wed Mar 03, 2010 12:25 pm

rocket wrote:aww wrathy - you dont get to go holy for Dreamwalker? It is fun to stomp the other classes in healing!

As the other officers say, it will be a cold day in hell when i get to offspec anything. I pick up ret offspec gear for tanking, i pick up extra tanking gear for tanking, and i have the honor, NAY the privilege to have dual spec prot and re-bless every other pull when i swap in and out of specs for different encounters.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Folstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 1:23 am

The first thing to 'sacrifice' is Ardent Defender- utterly useless for trash. Throw those points and DS/DG into Imp. HoJ and 3/5 reckoning.

Then you have to go 2/2 SA (or 4/5 reckoning) to get down the tree. 1/2 JotJ. Drop vind for more points in conviction (maybe PoJ too- if you can stand not having it!).

Glyphs: Judgement, Holy Wrath, HotR - 3% damage reduction is not even noticeable on trash or heroics
Folstar

Postby Vorianloken » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:50 am

Folstar wrote:The first thing to 'sacrifice' is Ardent Defender- utterly useless for trash. Throw those points and DS/DG into Imp. HoJ and 3/5 reckoning.

Then you have to go 2/2 SA (or 4/5 reckoning) to get down the tree. 1/2 JotJ. Drop vind for more points in conviction (maybe PoJ too- if you can stand not having it!).

Glyphs: Judgement, Holy Wrath, HotR - 3% damage reduction is not even noticeable on trash or heroics

http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin ... ,pwa,11623 works well too
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Folstar » Sat Mar 06, 2010 2:36 pm

Vorianloken wrote:http://talent.mmo-champion.com/?paladin#faNrqTh4VB511,pwa,11623 works well too

yup, just like that except the 3 useless(for trash) points in Ardent Defender moved to 2/2 Imp HoJ (maybe useful > useless) and 2/2 SA (infinitesimally useful > useless)
Folstar

Postby Necrolite » Sun Mar 07, 2010 6:11 pm

http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... Starcaller

Those are the specs i use. the first (active) spec is what i'd use for most things, trash, some bosses. the second spec is more of a survival spec with the points in Divinity rather than command / crusade.

I tend to keep 1/2 in SA in any spec i have, i never seem to suffer mana issues such that i'd need 2/2 Ardent defender has saved my ass on trash (!) a few times, so i'd probably never get rid of that either. So far im quite happy with how these 2 specs work out.

Any comments welcome :)
Necrolite

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice