Boots of Kingly Upheaval - are they worth it?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Boots of Kingly Upheaval - are they worth it?

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:35 pm

Been thinking about these, and am wondering if they are really worth it? Compared to my 245 boots, I gain 645 health and a bit of armour, but, considering the price, and the excess of hit you'll likely have with them and loss in defense, I'm wondering if they are worth it at all? Is 645 health and excess hit worth 12k or so?.. not sure...
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Re: Boots of Kingly Upheaval - are they worth it?

Postby Apollya » Mon Feb 15, 2010 4:48 pm

halabar wrote:Been thinking about these, and am wondering if they are really worth it? Compared to my 245 boots, I gain 645 health and a bit of armour, but, considering the price, and the excess of hit you'll likely have with them and loss in defense, I'm wondering if they are worth it at all? Is 645 health and excess hit worth 12k or so?.. not sure...

Myself and our 2 Warrior Tanks compared These (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=49907) versus our 258 Dawnbreaker Sabatons (http://www.wowhead.com/?item=47430).

so the real gain is:

11 Sta
36 Armor
0.03 % dodge before DR
53 Hit

and loose:

22 Str
0.48% miss (From Def)
0.48% block (From Def)
0.07% parry before DR

I'd suggest doing similar for your 245 boots and seeing the numbers clear and Simple, Not sure which 245 boots you have either since not written in post :P. Don't forget to factor in the avoidance from defence too.

I'm sure it's obvious from checking the numbers above but we all decided that for us they were a 100% no go. It all depends though on what boots you're using and how you plan to gear. Due to the lack of defence you cannot equip these, Cataclysmic Chest, Pillars and Kraken without making some huge sacrifices elsewhere (like using a def trinket). If you raid either 25man or 10man and have a semi-confident group really might be best waiting it out for one of these below:

Grinning Skull Greatboots off Valithiria 25man - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=50190
Scourge Fang Stompers off Sindragosa 10man - http://www.wowhead.com/?item=51787
Apollya

Postby Torquemada » Mon Feb 15, 2010 5:31 pm

The question is, can your guild kill Valithria on 25 man? If so, shoot for those boots, as they're generally better and don't require crafting. If you can swing the pants, though, go for it. They're amazingly good.
Torquemada

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:18 pm

I've got the 245 Dawnbreaker greaves, so that comparison is:

9 Str
53 Defense (10.78)

vs

18 Sta
115 Armor
27 Dodge (0.69%)
19 Parry (0.39%)
53 Hit (1.62%)
1 Sockets

and as you said, it's the loss of defense, and the surplus of hit that becomes and issue. Technically they are an EH upgrade, at least in a vacum, but they don't match well in some sets.. thinking I might wait until after I get the Kraken. I also have the 245 heroic boots off Jax, might just use those for now...

halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:19 pm

Torquemada wrote:The question is, can your guild kill Valithria on 25 man? If so, shoot for those boots, as they're generally better and don't require crafting. If you can swing the pants, though, go for it. They're amazingly good.

I've got the 264 legs off marrowgar, so pants aren't an ugrent need, perhaps I should get the pants and boots together, so the boots can compensate for the loss of hit changing the pants.

halabar

Postby halabar » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:43 pm

comparing the stuff on wowhead...

http://www.wowhead.com/?compare=47677:47679:47698:50968:47570:48640:50991:49964:46997:50403:50790:47080:50356:50760:50466;47679:50968:47570:50991:50403:50790:47080:50356:50760:50466:47677:47698:50978:49904:46997;49986:50003:48640:49964:49907

First set is my current gear, second is a set with swapping stuff in.

I think adding Kraken + Pillars is a better overall change than getting the Kingly boots, at least until I get another up to bring up the defense and need the hit again.

But back to my original broad question, I can see them being left out of a lot of gear sets.

halabar

Postby fuzzygeek » Mon Feb 15, 2010 8:58 pm

Apollya wrote:It all depends though on what boots you're using and how you plan to gear. Due to the lack of defence you cannot equip these, Cataclysmic Chest, Pillars and Kraken without making some huge sacrifices elsewhere (like using a def trinket).

Sure you can.

I'm of the opinion gear now is better than gear later, especially when waiting on drops. If a craft is better than what you have, there's really very little reason not to get them. But then, I accumulate gold without thinking about it, so YMMV.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Awyndel » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:21 pm

The boots are a small upgrade, and really expensive at that. So the only thing that can really answer your question is your wallet.

However, if you don't have the crafted leggings yet there is no reason to buy the boots, you will just be wasting leg mats. And those leggings are a big upgrade, and best in slot.

And you need those now no matter what other leggings you have. Even if you had 277 leggings the crafted ones would STILL be a big upgrade.
Awyndel

Postby Alanyor » Mon Feb 15, 2010 10:35 pm

Apollya wrote:Due to the lack of defence you cannot equip these, Cataclysmic Chest, Pillars and Kraken without making some huge sacrifices elsewhere (like using a def trinket).

I use Kingly Upheaval, Cataclysmic, Pillars and Kraken.
Full EH socketing, no sacrifices. Where is the problem?
Alanyor <Bloodhound Gang> - EU-Nera'thor - http://www.alanyor.blogspot.com
Originator of 10 Paladin Karazhan, 10 Paladin Zul'Aman and 8 Paladin Naxxramas
Alanyor

Postby yappo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 5:29 am

Apollya wrote: Due to the lack of defence you cannot equip these, Cataclysmic Chest, Pillars and Kraken without making some huge sacrifices elsewhere (like using a def trinket).

Being one of the atrocious noobs who gem for socketbonuses I see zero sacrifice. ToC 25 gear left me with an absurd number of expertize and all but zero hit-rating. Guess where my yellow combo-gems went. With an unholy crapload of hitrating thrown after me with ICC-gear hit/stam -gems are just replaced with def/stam -gems as needed to stay over 540.

If RNG hates you (and it sure hates me) then crafted gere is always there for grabs. I've won a grand total of one (1) tanking item in ICC (VoA included). At least I know how to generate loads of WoW-gold, so making them boots was a nobrainer.

On a side-note, I'm now celebrating my first VoA anniversary -- one year without seeing (we're not even talking losing rolls here) a single tank-upgrade. As far as I'm concerned there are only uncomfirmed rumours that Ony 25 and Twins drop a 245 neck, not to speak of the obvious lie that Fact Champs are dropping a stamina trinket.
So, yes, for some of us them boots are definitely worth it.
yappo

Postby Apollya » Tue Feb 16, 2010 6:24 am

fuzzygeek wrote:
Apollya wrote:It all depends though on what boots you're using and how you plan to gear. Due to the lack of defence you cannot equip these, Cataclysmic Chest, Pillars and Kraken without making some huge sacrifices elsewhere (like using a def trinket).

Sure you can.

I'm of the opinion gear now is better than gear later, especially when waiting on drops. If a craft is better than what you have, there's really very little reason not to get them. But then, I accumulate gold without thinking about it, so YMMV.

Well For me the boots were never in my set since I do have a guild Killing Valithiria (Won boots on our 2nd kill) and I also had the 258 Dawnbreaker Sabatons which in honesty were better since such a minor EH change and the avoidance more than compensates for it. So never even really figured having, Cataclysmic, Pillars, Kraken and these in a set. The first 3 sure I considered :P but not the boots :P

I just remember reading places that using all of them would cause issues, obviously I read in the wrong places.

Despite being able to actually use them all (as so many have pointed out) whilst the other offset items are Clear EH winners, the boots simply weren't (since no extra armor like all the others). And being able to use them all are you putting def enchants on shield and chest or using EH enchants there too?
Apollya

Postby yappo » Tue Feb 16, 2010 7:33 am

Apollya wrote:Despite being able to actually use them all (as so many have pointed out) whilst the other offset items are Clear EH winners, the boots simply weren't (since no extra armor like all the others). And being able to use them all are you putting def enchants on shield and chest or using EH enchants there too?

Until I get to tank content where tank-death is an issue I'll continue to max out "gear-points", so, yes, def-chant to shield. Also chanting agi to cloak and gloves as well as +10 stats to chest. I'm even considering switching one hybrid gem for +10 all stats.

Given the content (in combination with the people I pug with) I see, I'm well over the health "cap", but I'll of course reconsider the day when my going down is the reason we wipe. As it is now I spend too much time turning my back to boss and sitting down after RL calls a wipe as it is. More health would only prolong that.

In all honesty, those of us who consider the boots, or as in my case already crafted them, most likely have enough health as it is, because otherwise we'd have better gear, and we would have gotten that gear from content where our untimely death was a concern.
yappo

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 am

Well, looking at the discussion, the input seems to be to buy every small upgrade I can. But at least right now, I still can't see paying 12k+ for something with wasted stats (+hit). It's a gain of 615 health, which is nice, but, until I start hitting the deep end of ICC again, is really meaningless as has been pointed out here as well.

So I'm thinking I will wait on these until:

a) I get another upgrade where I loose hit, and thus the hit becomes of value, or:

b) I actually start seeing real progression content where that 615 health is of real value.

Once the saronites get down to about 1500 (currently just getting under 2k), I might go ahead and get the legs and boots crafted together, since the loss of hit from the legs (switching from the marrowgar ones) would be made up for by the boots.

halabar

Postby Shathus » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:27 am

Just wanted to agree with what a number of people already said. Are they BiS slot, no probably not, but are they BiS to YOU with what gear you have available to you (or can expect available in the near future)? That's a different question. Crafted gear = 100% drop rate for me, and I know my guild won't be killing Dreamwalker25 anytime soon so I had the boots crafted (over my ToC25 boots) early in 3.3, followed by the crafted pants a few weeks ago. Now I don't have to worry about drops (except the damn tier tokens that don't exist!).

If you don't have an alt (or 3) to help get Saronite, yah maybe it's a little expensive then, I think I got 9 of the 13 saronites needed from alt emblems and was just too impatient to grind out the last 4.

In response to Halabar's post, I don't think the hit is completely wasted, since my only other source of hit right now is coming from my rings and weapon (depending on the gear set I'm using) but again, that just depends on what else you have equipped. (using the tier head, kraken gloves and crafted pants, so no hit from the ICC25/tier alternatives there)
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:53 am

Shathus wrote:In response to Halabar's post, I don't think the hit is completely wasted, since my only other source of hit right now is coming from my rings and weapon (depending on the gear set I'm using) but again, that just depends on what else you have equipped. (using the tier head, kraken gloves and crafted pants, so no hit from the ICC25/tier alternatives there)

Well I'm at 278 hit right now. Once I drop some other item with hit, then they may make sense.

halabar

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice