Remove Advertisements

Help with starting tank gear

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Help with starting tank gear

Postby Malakath » Sun Feb 14, 2010 3:43 pm

Im currently a lvl 77 tankadin and was wondering what i should do straight away when I hit 80. I have already got some good gear from Utgarde Pinnacle which might help in heroics but other than that I am stuck.
Malakath

Re: Help with starting tank gear

Postby Harmacy » Mon Feb 15, 2010 12:13 am

There's an old gearing thread in the stickies you should read. Farm the 5 pieces out of reg ToC, then the weapon from the Argent Tournament dailies, and then just fill up the rest of the slots using that guide, and you'll be good to go.
Harmacy

Postby econ21 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 2:41 am

I think Harmacy is referring to Eanin's gearing guide. The main items in it are crafted (esp. titansteel) and reputation pieces (esp. Wyrmrest and AC rep) that should get you to the defence minimum, if gemmed and enchanted as per Digren's guide. It will cost quite a bit of gold, so running dailies and continuing questing is good.

Yappo's guide will tell you how to spend the emblems you get from running random heroics, which should be your goal once you hit 80. Tanking random heroics can be intimidating, so getting experience of normals would be good (as tactics are pretty much the same in normals and randoms). Some recommend doing randoms as dps first, but if you have followed Eanin's guide, you are actually geared to tank heroics however much PUGS may sneer. Going with at least one person from your guild can help, whispering you advice if you are unfamiliar with the instance.
econ21

Postby Barathorn » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:14 am

econ21 wrote:I think Harmacy is referring to Eanin's gearing guide. The main items in it are crafted (esp. titansteel) and reputation pieces (esp. Wyrmrest and AC rep) that should get you to the defence minimum, if gemmed and enchanted as per Digren's guide. It will cost quite a bit of gold, so running dailies and continuing questing is good.

Yappo's guide will tell you how to spend the emblems you get from running random heroics, which should be your goal once you hit 80. Tanking random heroics can be intimidating, so getting experience of normals would be good (as tactics are pretty much the same in normals and randoms). Some recommend doing randoms as dps first, but if you have followed Eanin's guide, you are actually geared to tank heroics however much PUGS may sneer. Going with at least one person from your guild can help, whispering you advice if you are unfamiliar with the instance.

This is solid advice. We have been ensuring that for our newer tanks we run with at least 3 guild members per pug as it just ensures the other 2 PuG'ed people are kept in line.

Get in there and tank, it is the only way to learn.

Good Luck,

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Malakath » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:38 am

i'l check it out thanks for the advice
Malakath

Postby Taragor » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:54 am

Don't get discouraged. I have seen people eat tank and healers alive in heroics as they expect them to be perfect all the time. To me heroics are just a step yup from regular dungeons. They are just about as easy, but still a place to learn. It is just that people are mostly doing the randoms for the daily, and just want their 2 frost badges and GG. Most obvious thing is to keep your pug in line. Tell them not to blow things up right away so that you can generate threat. Be sure to be "aware" of random mobs getting away so you can taunt back. After almost two years of playing now, I still learn each day and see where I make mistakes or have successes. You have to allow yourself to "grow" as a tank, and can not expect to have it perfect. Stick to dungeons that you know what to expect and that have "easy pulls" (like VH) to start with.
Good luck!
Taragor

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:58 am

• Run with guildies. They'll tolerate your mistakes, and will be invested in Gearing You in addition to "get me my badges".
  • Get uncrittable ASAP. Wear crafted shield/wrists, and the daunting legs and gloves. (They have Large amounts of defense rating on them, which lets you swap in better-itemized-but-low-defense stuff, which some of the ToC/5 gear is.) Titansteel shield has lots of defense on it, and the boots are good for EH.
  • Save your first frost badges for the ilevel 264 cloak: it's high on effective health, and also has a LOT of defense rating on it. The belt is probably the next best thing to get, as it has buckets of health. (The tanking trinket is tempting, but you should be able to get the black heart and the Hadronox trinket as precoursers.)
  • Try to get an Onyxia head: the ++Defense trinket is very well itemized and will help you get and stay uncrittable.
  • Get 4x or 5x T9 as soon as possible.

Farm the following instances until you're sick of them.
  • Normal ToC/5: You want The Black Heart. You also can get ilevel 200 tanking boots, belt, legs, and gloves. Match socket bonuses with stamina hybrids, esp when a def/stam gem matches the color.
  • Heroic ToC/5: ilevel 219 Tanking neck, sword (no defense, though), helm, and shoulders. These plus the ones from normal ToC/5 should hopefully get you uncrittable (enchant and gem for defense if necessary).
  • Normal-mode Forge of Souls and Pit of Saron. These drop 219 ilevel loot too, and are farmable more than once a day. Most importantly, they also drop Triumph badges. You SHOULD be geared enough to tank these, but the PUG-o-matic will almost certainly have no people interested in it. Hence, get guildmates who want to gear alts with you from there. (Halls of Reflection is possible too but it's much harder.) These zones have good tanking gear: tanking legs, sword, boots, and mace from Forge of Souls, and Pit of Saron drops a tanking chest and waist. (The chest has no defense, though, which means you probably cannot use it yet.)
  • Normal-mode Halls of Reflection. Drops a defense cloak, gloves, and a nice shield. (You may still need Titansteel's defense, though.)
  • At this point, you should have a fairly good set of gear. As soon as you were uncrittable, you should also have been doing random heroic instances too. Do at least one a day, maybe two, and that will ensure that you get a relatively steady stream of Frost and Triumph badges. After you've done those, try to farm the ICC 5-mans some more that I mentioned above, simply because they drop Good Gear and badges, and because practice will breed familiarity, which means they may go more easily than learning the pulls on all twenty (or so) heroic instances.
  • Try to farm heroic ICC/5-man instances as much as possible once you are considered geared enough (by the group finding tool or by your guildmates). They drop ilevel 232 tanking gear which seem to be very well itemized. By this point, you can tank those, and then tank random heroics (or just do random heroics over and over) so that you can buy Tier 9 tanking pieces with your Triumph emblems.

I'm not sure whether it's better to try to tank ICC 5-mans, and then heroic ICC 5-mans, once you're uncrittable. Simply doing random heroics over and over should net you at least 5 triumph emblems per hour, and probably more like 7-ish, which means that your 210 emblems (for 5x T9 gear) would take ~30 hours of farming. The advantage of doing some ICC 5-mans is that they have a good chance of dropping ilevel 232 defensive gear which is Very Close to the Tier 9 gear. (Tier 9 has sockets and awesome set bonuses, so you eventually want them.)

As an example, My Death Knight alt has zero tier 9 tanking gear, and is in a mix of quest rewards and other dungeon drops. I've tanked at least once nearly every instance I've completed (except for Halls of Reflection ;)). I have a quest reward helm and neck, no tanking cloak, most of the ToC/5 items, a couple pieces from early Naxxramas bosses (from a weekly raid), defense gems nearly everywhere, and the onyxia trinket. (Without that, I'd be uncrittable.) Had I been building him specifically for tanking, I would have put effort into getting better tanking gear, and may not have needed the onyxia trinket (though it's still verra-nice). However, he's quite well enough geared to tank 2-3 random heroics a day, if I were so inclined.
Kelaan

Postby Kelaan » Wed Feb 17, 2010 11:59 am

I'm not sure why my [ list ] ... [ /list ] pairs aren't working above. :( I meant that as a bulleted list.
Kelaan

Postby Malakath » Thu Feb 18, 2010 11:29 am

Thanks Kelaan that will really help
Malakath

How to pursue better gear from ground zero

Postby daisuki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 12:00 am

This is my first post here and I must say that the guides were extremely helpful. I've spent many nights while leveling reading up on the guides.

However, the last time I played WoW was back when BC was rolling around and fresh from vanilla. :lol: So all these new items and terms and stuff really sorta confuse me. I've searched online as much as I could (yes, I feel pathetic for not knowing what "PoS" meant till 5 days later :oops: ), so I am just really confused.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Daisuki

Should I continue to farm Pit of Saron and Forge of Souls over and over for the purples that drop? Or do I still need better gear in order to tank?

I've read that I should try my best to hit 540 defense but I was hoping that 495 would be decent enough.

I would really appreciate some small advice while I continue to read the extremely helpful guides on here.

Thanks. :)
daisuki

Re: How to pursue better gear from ground zero

Postby Ragingsoul » Fri Feb 19, 2010 1:21 am

hi there, welcome to the board.
What you should do with your gear is just farm the ramdom hc as much as you can and buy T9 and offparts to at least get a better gear overall. 18k hp is kinda low for those new dongeons.
another thing that I saw: put the remaining points into your talent trees :P, and glyph them. that will help a lot already.

If you have some gold, or a way to farm to make some, you can craft the bracers, belt and boots already. chest is more expensive.
anyway, with your hp, you need to get defense cap to 535 at least for hc. it should be doable with 1 or 2 upgrades and enchanting your gear.

other than that, well , blizz has made it easy to catch up on gear, if you farm random hc for a couple days, you should have decent gear after a week for some raids.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby Barathorn » Fri Feb 19, 2010 2:05 am

I am merging the 'new' tank threads to keep all the advice in one place.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Kelaan » Fri Feb 19, 2010 4:34 pm

daisuki wrote:Should I continue to farm Pit of Saron and Forge of Souls over and over for the purples that drop? Or do I still need better gear in order to tank?

I've read that I should try my best to hit 540 defense but I was hoping that 495 would be decent enough.

You will need 535 defense SKILL (not rating!) to be uncrittable in heroics.
You DO NOT want to be crittable.
You CAN use resilience in place of defense rating; it's generally not as good as you don't get avoidance from it.

Download the Tankadin2 addon (See _Chloe's sticky in the UI mods forum) so that you can see what percent crittable you are. It should be either zero or a negative number at any time you are trying to tank.
Kelaan

Postby daisuki » Fri Feb 19, 2010 10:21 pm

Kelaan wrote:
daisuki wrote:Should I continue to farm Pit of Saron and Forge of Souls over and over for the purples that drop? Or do I still need better gear in order to tank?

You will need 535 defense SKILL (not rating!) to be uncrittable in heroics.
You DO NOT want to be crittable.
You CAN use resilience in place of defense rating; it's generally not as good as you don't get avoidance from it.

Download the Tankadin2 addon (See _Chloe's sticky in the UI mods forum) so that you can see what percent crittable you are. It should be either zero or a negative number at any time you are trying to tank.

I am approaching 526 defense. However, now what troubles me is my very low DPS against single targets (for simulating against a single boss). I only do about 950 dps. Surely people will kick me out for this right? :roll:
daisuki

Postby Ragingsoul » Fri Feb 19, 2010 11:58 pm

daisuki wrote:
I am approaching 526 defense. However, now what troubles me is my very low DPS against single targets (for simulating against a single boss). I only do about 950 dps. Surely people will kick me out for this right? :roll:

trust me, I have seen dps doing 500 dps in heroics, worry about being crit immune, then about threat and hp. You can't ding lvl 80 and expect to have 40k hp and making 8k tps. it will come with time.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice