Remove Advertisements

Relatively new tank.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Relatively new tank.

Postby Ohmsford » Wed Feb 10, 2010 2:53 am

Hey all I rolled this tank back in the very end of BC. The guild I was in needed tanks and so I decided to roll one.

I leveled him to 80 first then shelved him to level my 3 other toons to 80.

I got bored playing them as dps is pretty rinse and repeat boring.

So in the last few weeks I have been powering down heroics and gearing the best I can.

I know my trinkets need work as well as a few other things. I am not in a guild so I don't have access to raid stuff. I am trying to get the best gear possible before applying to a raid guild.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Ohmsford

Here is a link to my armory.

I copied the spec from a decently geared pally on my server. It seems to work ok for heroics. I normally do not have trouble with threat unless I am rounding up the idiots in FoS. Once I got them its all good. I have read about a 9696 rotation a long time ago but never really used it.

If im pulling a pack of 2 I use HotR then SoR on one. I use Greater Blessing of sanctuary and Seal of Corruption. I judge wisdom. I leave AS free on small groups in case one gets astray or a pat roams into us.

Groups of 3 or more I open with AS then drop consecrate then HotR. Judging every cool down, as well as using my Holy shield/Divine plea. I also use my Lavanthors every cool down.

On boss fights I use the above with Avenging Wrath as my opener buff.

I seem to do ok and never really even drop below 75% health, heals are nice :P But I am wondering what I can do to improve with the limited resources I have.

I am going to get the 19 conquest badge neck and 25 badge ring. Working on the trinket from reg TOC 5 man. Is the 4 piece tier 9 worth losing my current gloves for? These seem to be better stat wise but like I said I don't know a whole lot.

My mitigation seems a little slanted towards dodge, is this normal? Should I bother gemming anything but stam?

Any help or pointers will be appreciated. I am open to criticism as long as it is constructive and not "lolllls nice gear scrub"

Thanks a ton.

Ohms.
Ohmsford

Re: Relatively new tank.

Postby Anorian » Wed Feb 10, 2010 3:23 am

Welcome maintankadin.

I'd say you're not a scrub with bad gear, you have some crafted items that cost quite a lot of money kudos for that even when not being in a guild.

Some pointers:

You're spec works no doubt about that, however it's not the optimized one. This link will provide you with all the information you might need on talents. The paladin you stole the spec from clearly hasn't read up the theory behind specs. While it works it simply isn't the best. There is some discussion on some talents, especially divinity has gotten some attention but in general 0/53/18 is the desired spec.

About 9696, This link has an explanation. 9696 is the best rotation you can follow optimizing threat while maintaining max survivability. This is however pointed towards boss tanking. In heroics aoe tools are better than non aoe one's since you will be tanking a lot of mobs at the same time. I generally still follow 9696 since it maxes the usage of your GCD's.

4 Piece tier 9 is nice, but just ask yourself how often are you using bubblewall. The answer will probably be almost never. so lowering the cooldown on something you hardly use isn't very worthwhile. Also note that there aren't any bossfights where it is required to have.

Your dodge will always be higher than your parry. You simply gain more dodge per rating than parry. The optimal ratio of parry vs dodge = 1-1.88 meaning for every 1% parry you should try to have 1.88% dodge. Gemming anything besides stam isn't very useful outside of activating your meta gem. Current game design favors Effective health, whether that is through armor or health. Since we can't gem armor health should be best in almost all cases.

Overall i'd say your doing good keep up the good work and apply to a raiding guild. You're fine tanking ToC and anything below.

and LOLSSS NICE GEAR SCRUB!1!1
Anorian

Postby Ohmsford » Wed Feb 10, 2010 10:08 pm

Anorian wrote:Welcome maintankadin.

I'd say you're not a scrub with bad gear, you have some crafted items that cost quite a lot of money kudos for that even when not being in a guild.

Some pointers:

You're spec works no doubt about that, however it's not the optimized one. This link will provide you with all the information you might need on talents. The paladin you stole the spec from clearly hasn't read up the theory behind specs. While it works it simply isn't the best. There is some discussion on some talents, especially divinity has gotten some attention but in general 0/53/18 is the desired spec.

About 9696, This link has an explanation. 9696 is the best rotation you can follow optimizing threat while maintaining max survivability. This is however pointed towards boss tanking. In heroics aoe tools are better than non aoe one's since you will be tanking a lot of mobs at the same time. I generally still follow 9696 since it maxes the usage of your GCD's.

4 Piece tier 9 is nice, but just ask yourself how often are you using bubblewall. The answer will probably be almost never. so lowering the cooldown on something you hardly use isn't very worthwhile. Also note that there aren't any bossfights where it is required to have.

Your dodge will always be higher than your parry. You simply gain more dodge per rating than parry. The optimal ratio of parry vs dodge = 1-1.88 meaning for every 1% parry you should try to have 1.88% dodge. Gemming anything besides stam isn't very useful outside of activating your meta gem. Current game design favors Effective health, whether that is through armor or health. Since we can't gem armor health should be best in almost all cases.

Overall i'd say your doing good keep up the good work and apply to a raiding guild. You're fine tanking ToC and anything below.

and LOLSSS NICE GEAR SCRUB!1!1

Thanks a million. I appreciate the advice and have already changed my spec.

A few more questions if you will permit me.

1. Glyphs, do mine look ok?
2. I have yet to tank HoR as I am afraid I wont do well. Is my gear decent enough to start in the reg version?

Thanks again :)
Ohmsford

Postby Barathorn » Thu Feb 11, 2010 1:16 am

Ohmsford wrote:A few more questions if you will permit me.

1. Glyphs, do mine look ok?

I generally run with the standard set of gylphs which can be found in the Talent Spec forum, along with the pro's and cons of the other Gylphs. Have a look in that forum :wink: and pick what suits you best.

2. I have yet to tank HoR as I am afraid I wont do well. Is my gear decent enough to start in the reg version?

Easily on normal. Get in there and tank the normal version a few times, get used to the instance. Knowledge is a weapon that all good tanks utilise. Once you 'know' the instance consider stepping it up through FoS, PoS and then HoR on heroic.

Have faith in your abilities and get a solid healer with you to try the instances. In HoR ensure Holy Wrath is used to interupt mass spellcasting and buy you some breathing time. 2 Paladins in the group make it considerably easier.

Good Luck.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Arnock » Sat Feb 13, 2010 1:15 am

If you're focusing mostly on gearing up through heroics at the moment, and are worried about taking out H HoR, I would switch one point from conviction to Seal of command, it's pretty amazing for heroics/aoe. Also, again for heroics, Glyphs of Hammer of the Righteous and Holy Wrath are amazing on many levels for speeding up/simplifying the runs, especially HoR, where the majority of mess ups and wipes I've seen were from poor add control on the tank's part.

As for gear, you seem to be coming along quite nicely, If I were you, I'd farm regular ToC a few times to get the Black Heart, and then move on to farming regular HoR for the shield (at least I think it drops from HoR)
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Postby amunstorr » Sat Feb 27, 2010 9:17 pm

Not a brand new tankadin but i dont know it all either. I too am gearing up through heroics and have questions on the gear thats available. Is the 75 emblem gear better than the t9. "Tier9" just screams at me but i still cant deny the stats on the 75 emblem gear. Chest and pants are all im seeing as a great upgrade as far as t9 goes? Arguments? lets compare http://www.wowwiki.com/Faceplate_of_the_Honorbound vs http://www.wowwiki.com/Liadrin%27s_Face ... ph_(heroic)

NM, i geuss just dont see the point for getting the t9 when just a few more badges will get you notably better gear.
amunstorr

Postby Vorianloken » Mon Mar 01, 2010 1:18 am

The prot paladin 4pcT9 is kinda meh. I only recall ever using it on Beasts10 heroic for only a week.

So for you, you should consider getting T9 legs/gloves with the crafted i245 chest/wrists and the triumph helm/shoulders.

Also consider how easy access you have to trophies for the 245 gear. I unashamedly admit that I have resorted to buying trophies off people in the ToC25's I put together every week. No more than 2, but I offer it to all the winners still :) Bought a couple last night for 800g each and a couple last week for 900g on my dk. Not winning trophies for four months (the regular way) really sucks >.<
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Postby Fetzie » Mon Mar 01, 2010 7:28 pm

Your gear is fine for all the heroics and things like ToC10 man, you may want to farm trial of the champion and azjol'nerub for the stamina trinkets, then you shouldn't have much of a problem getting into ToC25 as an offtank. Consider getting http://www.wowhead.com/?item=45825 to replace your i200 belt. Otherwise it's starting to look good, just keep grinding those triumph emblems and see about getting into ToC10+25 groups
Fetzie | Protection Paladin | EU-Anub'arak
Author of the TankSpot Protection Paladin Guide
Sagara wrote:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.

bldavis wrote:we are trying to extend it as long as we can...it just never seems to last very long
Fetzie

Postby Vorianloken » Tue Mar 02, 2010 10:23 pm

Best way is to make your own groups :)

3 tanks (you can get away with 2 if they are decently geared and dps is spot-on for things like Anub adds), 6 healers (I always like to have an extra healer who has a good dps offspec) and 16 dps spread evenly among ranged/melee.

And the fights are rather simple - mostly just moving out of ground-based AoE and tank swaps ymmv. Just take a few minutes to read up on fights on tankspot/bosskillers/wowwiki and make some notes that you can refer to during the raid.
Vorianloken - 80 Prot/Ret || Ajeet - 80 Frost Tank/Unholy DPS || Nunnaly - 80 Cat/Tree Druid || Bulveye - 74 Protection Warrior || Sherana - 80 Combat Rogue || Shadallas - 40 Demo Warlock

US-Medivh Power! 7th April 2010 - The day when Dual-Wield Frost Tanking was assassinated. R.I.P my dear friend.
Vorianloken

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice