Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:20 am

Njall wrote:Fortunately, as an engineer, I have my own vendor. :D I shall have to see about doing this but my earlier ranted trinket woes have been somewhat mollified as I have a 245 Scarab and the EoT trinket.

Yeah, I do too. I should have just set up a PowerAura trigger for it whenever Jeeves comes off of cooldown. But again. Lazy Theck is lazy.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Meloree » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:21 am

Njall wrote:
Meloree wrote:Yeah, I concur. The on-use from Satrina's is generally more powerful and more applicable. The on-use from Skeleton Key is better than people like to make it out to be, though, especially now that it's doubled.

Making the best of a bad situation. Afterall, you're not going to tell anyone that the grapes you paid so much for turned out to be sour, right? :D

Not at all. I'll take 3200 damage reduced at the time of my choosing over an avoidance on-use, so long as avoidance on-use items are as anemic as they've been in Wrath. 20% dodge from a Pocketwatch was pretty decent. 7% dodge from a Glyph is nice enough, but I like some predictability in my on-uses.

Alternatively, I was happy enough to wear dual-satrina's, when the situation called for it. The on-use of the 245 Satrina's didn't exist in that situation. The Key's on-use is strictly superior to nothing.

I don't think the grapes are sour. The one piece that I'm missing from frost badges before I start buying up tier pieces that I won't use until they hit ilvl277 is the tier helmet. It's a lesser upgrade than the Key over Satrina's 245.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Shathus » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:47 am

theckhd wrote:
Njall wrote:Fortunately, as an engineer, I have my own vendor. :D I shall have to see about doing this but my earlier ranted trinket woes have been somewhat mollified as I have a 245 Scarab and the EoT trinket.

Yeah, I do too. I should have just set up a PowerAura trigger for it whenever Jeeves comes off of cooldown. But again. Lazy Theck is lazy.

Wait... you can sell emblem gear back to Jeeves for an emblem refund?! :shock: I've been teleporting back down to the ground floor all this time for nothing? sonofa
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:48 am

Shathus wrote:Wait... you can sell emblem gear back to Jeeves for an emblem refund?! :shock: I've been teleporting back down to the ground floor all this time for nothing? sonofa

Any vendor.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby Meloree » Wed Feb 03, 2010 12:41 pm

Flitter wrote:I don't know if you left them out on purpose, but if you're planing to stick with cat, there are some nice boots from 10 man Sindragosa: Scourge Fanged Stompers

It was not an intentional omission, I just missed them. I'll add them to the list. Thanks.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby fudomyou » Thu Feb 04, 2010 11:35 am

Not at all. I'll take 3200 damage reduced at the time of my choosing over an avoidance on-use, so long as avoidance on-use items are as anemic as they've been in Wrath. 20% dodge from a Pocketwatch was pretty decent. 7% dodge from a Glyph is nice enough, but I like some predictability in my on-uses.

So what would you do if I told you that it's not 1600... not 3200... but 6400? What savings! All thanks to a wonderful ninja buff.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Kiewii » Thu Feb 04, 2010 5:02 pm

It's still not worth the emblems.
I'd rather equip The Black Heart instead of that epeen-badge-trinket.

Meloree I just looked up your Armory and came up with some questions:

You don't gem for +12 or +9 staminabonus? Why not?
You use Blooddraining? Why?
Why didn't you skill Shield of The Templar, Divinity, Seals of the Pure but some deep Ret-Talents?
Kiewii

Postby Barathorn » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:26 am

Kiewii wrote:It's still not worth the emblems.

Why didn't you skill Shield of The Templar, Divinity, Seals of the Pure but some deep Ret-Talents?

Welcome to the forum Kiewii.

Mel can obviously give you the answers about why they haven't gemmed for bonuses and why they have that enchant so I won't presume to answer for them on those issues.

[I suspect it is because the socket bonuses aren't believed to be worth it at the level of progression Meloree is at]

With regard to the talents you mentioned the extensive research on these forums has shown that Divinity and Seals of the Pure are sub par talents for main tank duty. I believe this is explained fully in the talent spec forum in the sticky threads there if you need clarification.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Anorian » Fri Feb 05, 2010 2:52 am

imo the badge trinket outclasses that shitty black heart by far but thats just me rambling, welcome to maintankadin
Anorian

Postby badgermonkey » Fri Feb 05, 2010 7:53 am

The effective health of the Black Heart is somewhere in the region of about 170 stamina ish, I believe. 228 > 170. Also, my key does something about magic damage.

Crusade is more threat tha SotP, and Divinity is a waste and overheals.

On topic, thanks for the insights meloree. Guess I'll have to drop some money on the legs, though the 264 tier pants and gloves did drop for me this week :(
badgermonkey

Postby Meloree » Fri Feb 05, 2010 10:24 am

The spec that doesn't have Shield of the Templar is for running heroics. Go look at the other prot spec. Blood Draining always struck me as the least terrible of a bunch of terrible enchant options.
I gem for +12 stamina when it's one gem (hat). +12 stamina for 2 gems is the same as +6 stamina for one gem, bonus, and those aren't worth it to me. I'm generally on the fence about +9 for a single red/yellow right now. I've been skipping them, but I'm considering picking them up.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Kiewii » Fri Feb 05, 2010 11:23 am

Thank you for your quick answers.
Looks like i can improve my Talentspecc a bit now (:

I quite like this thread because it seems to be the only one around (jerks, tankspot etc...).
I'll finish my BiS list today and come up with some more gearingquestions.

Edit:

Will we still be able to equip the same item two times but with different itemlevel e.g. ilvl 277 Dreamwalker-Ring and 264 Dreamwalker-Ring?
Someone old me that it won't be possible.
Kiewii

Postby Xfighter » Sat Feb 06, 2010 1:36 pm

Kiewii wrote:Thank you for your quick answers.
Will we still be able to equip the same item two times but with different itemlevel e.g. ilvl 277 Dreamwalker-Ring and 264 Dreamwalker-Ring?
Someone old me that it won't be possible.

You won't be able to. They changed this functionality with ICC drops, i do believe.
Xfighter

Postby Screamin » Sun Feb 07, 2010 9:42 am

I made a pre-hardmodes BiS gear list here. Tell me what you think, I'm open to suggestions. Btw, my pally is a miner/engineer.
Screamin

Postby Garath.Gorefiend » Thu Feb 25, 2010 11:04 am

fudomyou wrote:

So what would you do if I told you that it's not 1600... not 3200... but 6400? What savings! All thanks to a wonderful ninja buff.

Not sure I agree with you...personally, I don't really care for either the Corroded Skeleton Key or Satrina's on use effects. And for main tanking, I just don't like to rely on proc effects...just cant trust that they will actually proc when you need them.

I tend to like the use of the older Heart of Iron trinket and the Glyph of Indomitability trinket. Most people don't seem to be aware that the on use effects for these two trinkets stack.

In ICC, that means I have an on-use effect that grants about 9% extra dodge for 20 secs...combine that with the 4pce T10 bonus of a 12% dodge gain for 10 secs by casting divine plea and you totally negate the effects of ICC radiance for 10 seconds.

When I compare that to the on-use gains provided by the higher stamina trinkets, the effects of which can be consumed in less than a single hit..well, I can only say I find them less than desirable.

So far in ICC, while the magic/AoE damage can hurt...it seems to be spike melee damage that kills tanks more than anything else.

I do stack two stamina trinkets on fights that have low melee damage and high burst magic damage, but prefer the other combination for most melee fights.
Garath.Gorefiend

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice