Remove Advertisements

Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Postby Meloree » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:42 pm

Kihra wrote:It's true that I mostly just want to wear the skirt for the looks, but I am curious what you would wear when you're completely maxed out. Will you basically just be sticking with Cat and Pillars even at the 277 level? It seems to me like sticking with Pillars also means sticking with Cat, and therefore not having the 4pc bonus.

Maxed out? Tier chest (277), Pillars of Might (264), and expertise boots. Tier hat, Tier Gloves (277). If I really need 4pc, It's more likely to be shoulders I'd swap in, but legs are possible.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Obor » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:46 pm

Yeah the calculations Theck did showed that even at 277 level the Pillars are a good EH trade against the tier legs .. wonder how long it will take Blizzard to decide that they really should have boosted the armor on the tier legs as well :shock:
Obor

Postby Kihra » Tue Feb 02, 2010 3:53 pm

Meloree wrote:
Kihra wrote:It's true that I mostly just want to wear the skirt for the looks, but I am curious what you would wear when you're completely maxed out. Will you basically just be sticking with Cat and Pillars even at the 277 level? It seems to me like sticking with Pillars also means sticking with Cat, and therefore not having the 4pc bonus.

Maxed out? Tier chest (277), Pillars of Might (264), and expertise boots. Tier hat, Tier Gloves (277). If I really need 4pc, It's more likely to be shoulders I'd swap in, but legs are possible.

So you'll be under expertise soft cap with that setup, right?
Kihra

Postby Meloree » Tue Feb 02, 2010 4:09 pm

Kihra wrote:
Meloree wrote:

So you'll be under expertise soft cap with that setup, right?

Err... no, but only because I'm a human. I completely missed out on that.

I still think both tier legs and cat chest are very expensive ways to get that expertise at the 277 ilvl, but it turns out that basically everything is. I like being over the softcap, but it's not mandatory. I'm not sure I'd make those expensive changes on hard-hitting progression bosses.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 02, 2010 6:39 pm

Meloree wrote:Err... no, but only because I'm a human. I completely missed out on that.

I still think both tier legs and cat chest are very expensive ways to get that expertise at the 277 ilvl, but it turns out that basically everything is. I like being over the softcap, but it's not mandatory. I'm not sure I'd make those expensive changes on hard-hitting progression bosses.

If we get the 10-man LK axe though, we won't have that extra 3 expertise.

I'm really undecided at the moment between T10 chest/gloves and Cat/Kraken. I'm realistically not going to see 277 tokens for at least a few weeks if not longer though, which would give me time to start accumulating badges to pick up the chest. If I were to pick up Cat/Kraken today, I only have the cloak to go (which I'll have enough for in about two weeks).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Call to Arms 5.x, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Flitter » Tue Feb 02, 2010 9:58 pm

I don't know if you left them out on purpose, but if you're planing to stick with cat, there are some nice boots from 10 man Sindragosa: Scourge Fanged Stompers
Flitter

Postby Zyster » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:25 am

Had to register so that i could say thanks for your view on gearing.

Appreciate the effort, well made and well thought through.
Zyster

Postby Barathorn » Wed Feb 03, 2010 1:59 am

Njall wrote:
Meloree wrote:
It might be cheaper, but it's also potentially worse. Kihra just really wants to wear a skirt, the Pillars of Might are going to be your go-to progression piece until Cataclysm.

Ah, the long lost days of tanking in a plate thong...

Very informative thread - hopefully it will be of use to me someday. :?

It is a great insight for me, it confirms what I thought about the 264 ilevel gear as I know it is unlikely I will see anything above that. So it's the Cat and Pillars for me with T10 Head and Shoulders and 264 Gloves as a 10 man normal raider.

It is just a great list and is exactly the sort of thing that along with Lieris's 10 man list that we need. Hopefully this weekend I will get chance to collate the information and finally get the forum sorted out.

Well done Meloree. Good job.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby steadypal » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:14 am

corroded key got its dmg absorb doubled FWIW..
steadypal

Postby Serv » Wed Feb 03, 2010 3:19 am

so it is 6400 absorb on use now? I can't find it in the notes and can't log in at work to confirm/deny.
Thanks to LAVE for the sig

www.rent-a-tank.net ...:::... www.nil-gilde.net
Serv

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:22 am

Serv wrote:so it is 6400 absorb on use now? I can't find it in the notes and can't log in at work to confirm/deny.

Yes, or at least that's what the armory says now. I didn't even think to check it in-game.

Sadly, it still pales in comparison to a 258 satrina. I'd take 5k health over a 6k absorb any day. A 10k absorb would make it a more interesting decision.
theckhd

Postby Meloree » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:51 am

theckhd wrote:
Serv wrote:so it is 6400 absorb on use now? I can't find it in the notes and can't log in at work to confirm/deny.

Yes, or at least that's what the armory says now. I didn't even think to check it in-game.

Sadly, it still pales in comparison to a 258 satrina. I'd take 5k health over a 6k absorb any day. A 10k absorb would make it a more interesting decision.

Yeah, I concur. The on-use from Satrina's is generally more powerful and more applicable. The on-use from Skeleton Key is better than people like to make it out to be, though, especially now that it's doubled.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 03, 2010 10:52 am

Meloree wrote:Yeah, I concur. The on-use from Satrina's is generally more powerful and more applicable. The on-use from Skeleton Key is better than people like to make it out to be, though, especially now that it's doubled.

Making the best of a bad situation. Afterall, you're not going to tell anyone that the grapes you paid so much for turned out to be sour, right? :D
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:11 am

Njall wrote:Making the best of a bad situation. Afterall, you're not going to tell anyone that the grapes you paid so much for turned out to be sour, right? :D

Eh, I still regret purchasing it as early as I did, despite the lack of a 258 Satrina's.

Of course, I could've been smart and just rented it during raids like a few others are. But I was too lazy (and pretty sure I'd forget about it for at least one period of 2+ hours).
theckhd

Postby Njall » Wed Feb 03, 2010 11:18 am

theckhd wrote:
Njall wrote:Making the best of a bad situation. Afterall, you're not going to tell anyone that the grapes you paid so much for turned out to be sour, right? :D

Eh, I still regret purchasing it as early as I did, despite the lack of a 258 Satrina's.

Of course, I could've been smart and just rented it during raids like a few others are. But I was too lazy (and pretty sure I'd forget about it for at least one period of 2+ hours).

Fortunately, as an engineer, I have my own vendor. :D I shall have to see about doing this but my earlier ranted trinket woes have been somewhat mollified as I have a 245 Scarab and the EoT trinket.
Flight to Peru: £1000
Camping gear: £200
Native guide: £50
Sledgehammer to break down stone door: £12.99
Awakening one of the Great Old Ones: priceless.

There are some things man was not meant to know. For everything else,
there's Mastercard.
Njall
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice