Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Mel's 25-man Progression Gear Guide

Postby Roots » Thu Feb 25, 2010 12:47 pm

Garath.Gorefiend wrote:Not sure I agree with you...personally, I don't really care for either the Corroded Skeleton Key or Satrina's on use effects.

I'm not necessarily pleased with the 1 time absorb, but I may replace the HoI with they Key simply for the stam gains.

The thing I liked about Satrina/Juggs on use is the max level health persists, and can be healed up again and again over the duration of the use. The extra 4k does nothing to rng-reduce your incoming damage, but gives more wiggle room to healers during movement fights.
Roots

Postby Ragingsoul » Fri Feb 26, 2010 5:00 am

I'll link a balanced set you can use, less focused on progression, more balanced and for people that can't get the ilvl277 yet.

Here is the gear I'm planing to get (almost have all) before hard modes (we are working on LK25 still)

head : Sanctified Lightsworn Faceguard
neck :Bile-Encrusted Medallion
shoudlers:Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons
back : Sentinel's Winter Cloak
Chest:Cataclysmic Chestguard
bracers: Bracers of Dark Reckoning
hands: Sanctified Lightsworn Handguards
belt: Verdigris Chain Belt
pants: Legguards of Lost Hope
boots: Grinning Skull Greatboots
ring1:Ashen Band of Endless Courage
ring2: Devium's Eternally Cold Ring

end up with around 33k armor, 6.5% hit rating, 25 expertise before glyph, sand box not really working, but around 48k hp too. Weapons, shield libram are not included in the list through. I also go for 2xT10 for the set bonus, without too many sacrifices. you still have armor on the hands, loosing hp but gaining on shoulders.
Anyway, that's a balance gear for mid progression I would say, and you can replace the pants and a ring for more hardcore progression after that.

advantages of this set: the shoulders bracers and legs are easy to get in 25men ICC HC from a guild that did LK25, but that will still need some time for the other more difficult bosses, like ours.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby Khayne » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:09 am

Has blizz made us unable to equip both normal and heroic items at same time or why does your original post only have the hc version?

Attleast i'd gladly use double deviums instead of hc devium + some other ring like twin valks.
Khayne

Postby Roots » Fri Feb 26, 2010 10:12 am

Khayne wrote:Has blizz made us unable to equip both normal and heroic items at same time or why does your original post only have the hc version?

Attleast i'd gladly use double deviums instead of hc devium + some other ring like twin valks.

ICC reg/hard mode items are no longer unique to each other. No double equipping this time around
Roots

Postby daiceman » Fri Feb 26, 2010 2:00 pm

I'm still not sold on tier chest + offset shoulders vs offset chest vs tier shoulders in a 2pc setup.

As the stamina difference between both the tier pieces is 18 stam, you can ignore hp, the difference comes down to:

(69.9906-20)=49.9906% buffed avoidance (including all raid buffs) and 67.72% DR from armor
(68.9250-20)=48.9250% buffed avoidance and 68.54 DR from armor.

So you're trading around 1.07% avoidance for .82% reduction in physical damage.

Edit: You also gain 69 hit rating from using chest in addition to the avoidance, with the only other hit piece being marrogar's legs, I think this really pushes tier shoulder+off chest over tier chest combo
daiceman

Postby Ragingsoul » Sat Feb 27, 2010 6:56 pm

daiceman wrote:I'm still not sold on tier chest + offset shoulders vs offset chest vs tier shoulders in a 2pc setup.

As the stamina difference between both the tier pieces is 18 stam, you can ignore hp, the difference comes down to:

(69.9906-20)=49.9906% buffed avoidance (including all raid buffs) and 67.72% DR from armor
(68.9250-20)=48.9250% buffed avoidance and 68.54 DR from armor.

So you're trading around 1.07% avoidance for .82% reduction in physical damage.

Edit: You also gain 69 hit rating from using chest in addition to the avoidance, with the only other hit piece being marrogar's legs, I think this really pushes tier shoulder+off chest over tier chest combo

hit on chest? the offset chest for me has expertise and + armor, the Tier one has + armor. Concidering you can find neck, rings, back, weapon as offparts with hit rating on them, hit isn't a problem. expertise on the other hand isn't found that easy. The offpart chest with 10 expertise skill, even if it lacks some avoidance, is more than welcome on my gear to get some, if you're not using the T10 legs.
While tanking new content, one rule is important -- it's not about taking less damage; it's about being able to take more.
Ragingsoul, Palatank, Tsunadee, Resto Druid, Bisoul, Mutilate Rogue
Ragingsoul

Postby daiceman » Sat Feb 27, 2010 8:02 pm

Here is the general idea of what I'm looking at:

http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20900638
daiceman

Postby cds4850 » Wed Mar 24, 2010 9:30 am

Meloree wrote:Weapons:
This list is horribly incomplete, largely because we don't really know Lich King loot tables, and we're expecting some weapons there.

The Facelifter - Putricide 10
Bonebreaker Scepter - Marrowgar 10
Silverwing Defender - Anub'arak 25 - 25 attempts remaining
Crusader's Glory - Anub'arak 10

For now, Bonebreaker/Facelifter (heroic versions) are the high-threat options. Crusader's Glory is your best survival option most of the time. It's also probably the first thing you'ld trade out for threat, as opposed to an armor piece, as you'll generate very high returns on the trade with a slower, higher ilvl weapon. It's worth noting that your weapon options right now are basically all from 10-mans. Here's hoping the Lich King has a drop. Last Word may prove to be stronger than I give it credit for, once the mechanics of the proc are more fully investigated, and it's certainly a threat option. But if you can spare the defence, then you'll probably want Bloodvenom Blade for your threat set.

As we now have info suggesting a very strong uptime on Last Word's proc, as well as the release of LK loot tables, what's your thought on the weapon slot? It seems a lot of the community is planning on running pillars with 277gloves/chest for 2pc bonus, so it does not seemthat we'll have the defense to run Last Word in anything other than a trash/heroic setup. The Putricide 10m HM sword and LK 10m HM axe are looking very appealing for the progression set, but I don't remember what LK25s loot table has for us.
cds4850

Postby Meloree » Wed Mar 24, 2010 11:45 am

Yeah, that whole weapon section is out of date.

Personally, I still use Crusader's Glory most of the time. If Mithrios drops (LK25 tank weapon), it's liable to see some use. Last Word is a pretty solid threat weapon in the meantime, and it does work in all my setups (using 277 tier chest, and pillars of might)
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Nollars » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:07 am

So is the 4 peice worth it pre HM's? I havent really been the type to stam stack, I seem to like my balance of stats and the 4 peice attracted me because of how I can time it.
Nollars

Postby Meloree » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:43 am

You can go 4pc at 264, fairly easily. The pieces you want are hat, shoulders, chest, gloves. You're giving up 36 stamina over a 2pc setup, and trading away expertise, which it in somewhat short supply.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Tue Mar 30, 2010 10:52 am

Meloree wrote:You can go 4pc at 264, fairly easily. The pieces you want are hat, shoulders, chest, gloves. You're giving up 36 stamina over a 2pc setup, and trading away expertise, which it in somewhat short supply.

IMO just because you can doesnt mean you should (to clarify from my perspective). I had this discussion yesterday with a paladin tank on my server. The 12% dodge which is up 20% of the time and is not a guarenteed damage prevention is not woth those losses to me. In a world where we are min maxing gems to the point where we are taking a 4 stamina net gain over 10 agility, defense, strength or whatever, 36 stam and the expertise which is very rare on ICC gear is just not worth it for a 25 man Progression tank.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Nollars » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:00 am

Im all ready well over soft cap for both hit and exp at my current gear, and this is going off of a avoidance setup, see i was thinking helm/shoulders/legs/chest, then kraken gloves
Nollars

Postby Shathus » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:20 am

Nollars wrote:Im all ready well over soft cap for both hit and exp at my current gear, and this is going off of a avoidance setup, see i was thinking helm/shoulders/legs/chest, then kraken gloves

For the record/clarification, there is no soft cap for hit. Unless you're referring to the melee hit cap.

The reason people forgo the tier legs in the 4pc is because the Pillars have bonus armor while you can still get bonus armor from the tier chest/hands. Then Dreamwalker 25 boots and possibly PP10 sword to exp soft-cap.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Nollars » Tue Mar 30, 2010 11:24 am

Sorry yes I ment melee, currently at 349 hit and 22 exp without SoC up.. I knwo this will change when I move some gear around
Nollars

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice