Remove Advertisements

ICC10: What to wear and why!

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: ICC10: What to wear and why!

Postby Lieris » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:51 am

Wrathy wrote:
honorshammer wrote:We generally run every fight with two healers so for 10 man raiders it might be a little different.

Do others run with 2 healers? I don't want to derail the thread, or go off on too much of a tangent but Lieris and Honor's subsequent post got me to thinking about what gear you would select for specific fights and It never occured to me that 10 man stricts run with 2 healers.

I'm in almost full 264 and we run with three healers for most of the end of the instance (all of crimson hall, FW hall and Lich King).

Yep same here, first half of ICC we use 2 healers then from Council onwards we use 3 (when I posted that Frostwing wasn't available and we had killed Council with 2 healers but later found it was far more controllable with 3). We'll see what hard modes bring.

As a personal aside, 1 badge off my Cata chest :(
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Wrathy » Fri Feb 12, 2010 9:53 am

Yeah we needed three for Lich King as well, but I guess that is expected. As for hard modes, a few more days and I will know, but I kept saying last night that its gonna take an amazing tanking and healing corps to defeat the lich king in 251 gear. I was getting my butt kicked last night for some huge hits.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:54 am

Wrathy wrote:Yeah we needed three for Lich King as well, but I guess that is expected. As for hard modes, a few more days and I will know, but I kept saying last night that its gonna take an amazing tanking and healing corps to defeat the lich king in 251 gear. I was getting my butt kicked last night for some huge hits.

Sounds good, if people follow this guide they should have a lot of 264 gear anyway. I have 36K armour now with devotion aura so I feel ready for him! :) I feel sorry for our raids healers though, from what little I know of the fight the damage looks relentless.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Abrams » Sat Feb 13, 2010 5:57 am

I love stamina but we don't have a decent stamina trinket to pair with the Key

25m sindragosa trinket is pretty much bis for those who favor stamina along with corroded key, use-feature on that item is incredibly usefully against any magic hitting boss.
Abrams

Postby Solare » Sat Feb 13, 2010 7:32 am

Wrathy wrote:
honorshammer wrote:We generally run every fight with two healers so for 10 man raiders it might be a little different.

Do others run with 2 healers? I don't want to derail the thread, or go off on too much of a tangent but Lieris and Honor's subsequent post got me to thinking about what gear you would select for specific fights and It never occured to me that 10 man stricts run with 2 healers.

I'm in almost full 264 and we run with three healers for most of the end of the instance (all of crimson hall, FW hall and Lich King).

It would be interesting to evaluate what gear would be most beneficial given your healing corps. Do you have a druid or not, if you have rolling hots on you, armor is king, if you dont, would you want to be able to soak more so that the next holy light bomb can hit. What are the normal 10 man healing comps?

My 10 group has always run with a 2-healing corps. Resto druid and holy/disc priest. So far, they've been able to 2 heal all of hard mode content up to now. However, we did have to make our enhancement shaman go resto for the Valithria Dreamwalker fight. (who has been soaking up all of the spell power mail for 3 tiers of content.) But that's not a healing issue, per se... more of a healing dps consideration. =D
Solare

Postby antiy4ho0 » Mon Feb 15, 2010 3:31 am

Just a warning but I am NOT a math person. With that said, is it generally understood to be better to not get your 4pc? To go with the pillars of might, catac chest and kraken gloves? I was planning on going 4pc as the 12% dodge clicky on a 1min CD looked very attractive, but I see this topic advising otherwise. It's not too late for me to go that route, I have not purchased any T10 yet, but I thought our t10 4pc was worth the lost ilvls. Am I wrong on that?
antiy4ho0

Postby Lieris » Mon Feb 15, 2010 6:23 am

antiy4ho0 wrote:Just a warning but I am NOT a math person. With that said, is it generally understood to be better to not get your 4pc? To go with the pillars of might, catac chest and kraken gloves? I was planning on going 4pc as the 12% dodge clicky on a 1min CD looked very attractive, but I see this topic advising otherwise. It's not too late for me to go that route, I have not purchased any T10 yet, but I thought our t10 4pc was worth the lost ilvls. Am I wrong on that?

The 4pc is okay and if you want to go that route I don't think it's a horrible one, I just think it's better to have the best gear possible pre-hard modes along with the most armour, stamina and soft capped expertise and for that the 3 off set pieces fit the bill. You're going to have a much easier time tanking Arthas in 264 gear than with 251.

Also consider the 4pc dodge on use and where it's useful as a tank cooldown: It's going to be okay on Festergut when he has 3 stacks but when Sindragosa casts her breath in P3 and when Arthas casts Soul Reaper it's going to be completely useless. For the most part it's a cooldown that helps reduce damage that is mostly healable, it's not going to help against the big tank killing abilities in ICC. You're also going to have to use it on the pull to get DP up (along with the 3% reduced damage) where it might not be that useful so it might be on cooldown when you feel it might help most.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Gyute » Tue Feb 16, 2010 12:06 am

MAIN HAND:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Rimefang's Claw, Crusader's Glory, Honor of the Fallen.

What you should be aiming to get: Bonebreaker Scepter (Heroic).

This fortunately drops from the first boss. Once you down Putricide and he drops The Facelifter (Heroic) you can upgrade to that for the expertise.

Just a friendly reminder to the dwarfs out there, the Bonebreaker Scepter is the better choice of the two weapons.
Gyute

Postby Harven » Tue Feb 16, 2010 8:15 pm

I found this post very interesting but it leads me to a question:

I'm often stuck as the OT within my guild during the ICC 10/25 runs. Our MT swears up and down that his shield block (mostly 213 gear) set is the best set to use for some of the bosses in both 10 and 25. I don't run a shield block set for ICC, I'm mainly focused on Effective Health.

So my question is, should I continue to laugh at him or take him seriously?
Harven

Postby antiy4ho0 » Wed Feb 17, 2010 1:33 am

Um, I'm definitely no authority on the matter but I don't think a block set is really worth it. The smaller the hit, the more valuable BV is, and while wearing more BV reduces your damage taken on these fights I would imagine downgrading from 232-251 gear to 213 you lose a big chunk of stam and armor for a minimal gain. Maybe for Gunship and Dreamwalker (I don't know if the dot from the worms applies if you block full or if they hit too hard to block full hits. Again, I'm no authority on the matter and just my point of view but BV sets don't seem worth using over running EH and having a nice big safety net.
antiy4ho0

Postby Barathorn » Wed Feb 17, 2010 2:05 am

Harven wrote:I found this post very interesting but it leads me to a question:

I'm often stuck as the OT within my guild during the ICC 10/25 runs. Our MT swears up and down that his shield block (mostly 213 gear) set is the best set to use for some of the bosses in both 10 and 25. I don't run a shield block set for ICC, I'm mainly focused on Effective Health.

So my question is, should I continue to laugh at him or take him seriously?

From what I have seen of ICC10 his way of thinking is incorrect. EH is the strongest choice for progression until you reach a level you are comfortable with, then a balanced set is your best approach.

Block sets are for :-

1/ gimmick fights
2/ heroics
3/ farm content

There is no reason to wear a block set outside of the 3 reasons given above. You definately shouldn't be wearing a 213 block set in ICC unless you want to lessen your raids chances of success.

Has he/she got caught up in thinking that gearing for Anub hard mode [passive block cap set] is the way to gear for progression content?

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Lieris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:33 am

Even for the big add zerg of ICC (Valithria) you want to be using your max stamina max armour gear especially if you're solo tanking it.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Arincia » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:11 am

I have a question concerning if lack of hit of these tank sets would effect my threat output? I have been doing 25 mans but have only just started clearing past Saurfang and have been lucky on getting some hit pieces of gear to put me to slightly over 8% hit cap. I was planning to upgrade to the bonus armor pieces as i could to get more effective health but was wondering if i should turn my hit pieces into a threat set for if i need more threat then Effective health? (hit on hands/legs/weapon/rings atm)I would love to move into EH sets but the thought of reduced threat is weighing heavily for me on 10 mans where 2 of our dps are very good and do lots of dps/threat does have me worried.
Arincia

Postby Harven » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:30 am

Barathorn wrote:
From what I have seen of ICC10 his way of thinking is incorrect. EH is the strongest choice for progression until you reach a level you are comfortable with, then a balanced set is your best approach.

1/ gimmick fights
2/ heroics
3/ farm content

There is no reason to wear a block set outside of the 3 reasons given above. You definately shouldn't be wearing a 213 block set in ICC unless you want to lessen your raids chances of success.

Has he/she got caught up in thinking that gearing for Anub hard mode [passive block cap set] is the way to gear for progression content?

Barathorn

No he's serious about this. It really gets kind of scary sometimes when he's running and the healers are working hard to keep him up but he swears by his SB set and has been griping over the lack of good SB pieces in ICC and ToC. I mention using an EH set and his response is often "what do we look like warriors?" and makes me want to bang my head on my keyboard.

Hell I've MT'd Anub in HM ToC in my EH set and I'm still less squishier than he is according to the healers.
Harven

Postby Lieris » Wed Feb 17, 2010 8:49 am

Arincia wrote:I have a question concerning if lack of hit of these tank sets would effect my threat output? I have been doing 25 mans but have only just started clearing past Saurfang and have been lucky on getting some hit pieces of gear to put me to slightly over 8% hit cap. I was planning to upgrade to the bonus armor pieces as i could to get more effective health but was wondering if i should turn my hit pieces into a threat set for if i need more threat then Effective health? (hit on hands/legs/weapon/rings atm)I would love to move into EH sets but the thought of reduced threat is weighing heavily for me on 10 mans where 2 of our dps are very good and do lots of dps/threat does have me worried.

If you're having threat issues then you're not getting the MDs you should be and they are not using their aggro resets intelligently. It's not for you to gear to compensate for other's failures. You can upgrade to the EH pieces with a clean conscience.

Harven wrote:
Barathorn wrote:

1/ gimmick fights
2/ heroics
3/ farm content

Barathorn

No he's serious about this. It really gets kind of scary sometimes when he's running and the healers are working hard to keep him up but he swears by his SB set and has been griping over the lack of good SB pieces in ICC and ToC. I mention using an EH set and his response is often "what do we look like warriors?" and makes me want to bang my head on my keyboard.

Hell I've MT'd Anub in HM ToC in my EH set and I'm still less squishier than he is according to the healers.

I feel sorry for you, you're in a very awkward situation. There's nothing worse than an idiot who is adamant that he is right.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice