ICC10: What to wear and why!

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

ICC10: What to wear and why!

Postby Lieris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:48 am

There have been several gear lists to ICC10 but they've all been rather dry with no explanations nor guidance making them of limited practical use. This topic will endeavour to show what you should be equipping in ICC10 and how to spend your precious emblems with a progression mindset rather than a best in slot list (Who cares if Arthas drops a totally boss axe on heroic? At that point the game is finished!). I will also detail items you should be wearing before setting foot in ICC10 including many that are available without setting foot in a raid as a sort of baseline. For progression tanking I value stamina highest to provide a buffer for when shit goes wrong and to be able to take all that magic damage with armour a close second. Thankfully a lot of these items can be obtained from badges or are crafted meaning you can minimise reliance on drops and your limited income of tier tokens.

This took a bit longer than expected to do, I'll tart it up and add more wowhead links some other time. Any input appreciated.

HELM:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Faceplate of the Honorbound or Turalyon's Faceguard of Triumph.

What you should be aiming to get: Lightsworn Faceguard (Heroic).

This is our only option and thankfully it's a very well itemised piece of gear and a nice first step to your 2 piece bonus.

NECK:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Endurance of the Infernal

What you should be aiming to get: Marrowgar's Scratching Choker (Heroic).

If you are fortunate enough to have the TOGC10 neck that will last you until Marrowgar heroic, for everyone else this is a decent upgrade.

SHOULDERS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Pauldrons of the Silver Defender, Turalyon's Shoulderguards of Triumph or Shoulderguards of Enduring Order.

What you should be aiming to get: Lightsworn Shoulderguards (Heroic).

Along with the helm, this is the strongest candidate as part of a 2 piece T10 set. Small investment at just 60 badges.

alternatively

If you really don't care about our T10 bonus and want a little extra stamina Spaulders of the Blood Princes (Heroic) are a good option.

CLOAK:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Platinum Mesh Cloak, Saronite Animus Cloak, Cloak of the Unmoving Guardian.

What you should be aiming to get: Sentinel's Winter Cloak.

This should be the first thing you buy with your frost badges, a bargain at only 50. You won't replace it until Cataclysm.

CHEST:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Chestguard of the Warden, Turalyon's Chestguard of Triumph.

What you should be aiming to get: Cataclysmic Chestguard.

Despite the buffs to our T10 this is still the better option. You won't have to wait until you get an upgrade token to get a comparable item that still won't have as much stamina and this is a great source of expertise to boot.

BRACERS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Saronite Swordbreakers.

What you should be aiming to get: Gargoyle Spit Bracers (Heroic).

Our only upgrade and fortunately it's a great one and from an early boss. No complaints here!

GLOVES:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Turalyon's Handguards of Triumph/Conquest.

What you should be aiming to get: Gauntlets of the Kraken.

Again the buffs to T10 aren't enough to top these, they even got an armour boost at the expense of very little avoidance! Only 60 badges and no need for an upgrade token, these are a no brainer: Easy to get, highest avoidance, stamina and armour.

BELT:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Girdle of the Nether Champion, Shieldwarder Girdle or Indestructible Plate Girdle.

What you should be aiming to get: Verdigris Chain Belt.

Yet another badge item that comes out on top, easy to get and far superior to any drops in ICC10 heroic let alone normal mode makes this one of the first items you should buy for progression tanking.

LEGS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Turalyon's Legguards of Triumph/Conquest.

What you should be aiming to get: Pillars of Might.

These effective health monsters have no peer, they are however incredibly expensive to make. Unless you have a lot of gold to spend or have alts you can cannibalise for badges it will take a long time to get these made what with Primordial Saronites only dropping in heroic mode and competition in your guild for them. By the time you get the 8 you need a lot of progression may have passed you by.

alternatively

Lightsworn Legguards (Heroic) are a good alternative. While they don't have the bonus armour of crafted legs they will help you to hard cap your expertise for a smoother damage intake and added threat. They also drop in VOA so if you get lucky they could potentially cost you nothing!

BOOTS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Spiked Deathdealers, Sabatons of the Lingering Vortex.

What you should be aiming to get: Boots of Kingly Upheaval.

You won't get comparable boots until Sindragosa snuffs it on heroic mode by which time you have cleared nearly all content, making these crafted boots by far the best choice for progression. They will cost you however…

alternatively

Sindragosa drops the Scourge Fanged Stompers (Heroic) but as stated above, she is the penultimate boss of ICC.

RINGS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Clutch of Fortification, Loop of the Twin Val'Kyr

What you should be aiming to get: Ashen Band of Courage.

Frankly I am less than enamoured with our ring options in ICC10. The proc on the reputation ring will hopefully get buffed or changed eventually but did we really need 3 almost identical rings with +hit and no passive armour? If you have the TOGC10 ring I would stick with that.

TRINKETS:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Brewfest stamina trinkets, Royal Seal of King Llane, The Black Heart, Glyph of Indomitability.

What you should be aiming to get: Corroded Skeleton Key, Unidentifiable Organ.

Not much choice here! The on use of the Key isn't great but the absorption works okay in combination with Divine Protection as well as being a static buttload of effective health. The Organ could be better (the stacking proc is incredibly unreliable to the extent that it may as well not exist on certain fights) but the heroic version pulls ahead of our previous trinkets which frankly are starting to get a bit long in the tooth.

MAIN HAND:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Rimefang's Claw, Crusader's Glory, Honor of the Fallen.

What you should be aiming to get: Bonebreaker Scepter (Heroic).

This fortunately drops from the first boss. Once you down Putricide and he drops The Facelifter (Heroic) you can upgrade to that for the expertise.

SHIELD:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Bulwark of the Royal Guard.

What you should be aiming to get: Neverending Winter (Heroic).

If you have the shield from TOGC10 you will have to wait for ICC 10 heroic to get an upgrade, for everyone else this is a decent shield from a very easy boss.

LIBRAM:
What you should be wearing going into ICC10: Libram of Defiance, Libram of Valiance.

What you should be aiming to get: Libram of the Eternal Tower.

This should be bottom of your frost badge purchasing list. A not inconsiderable ramp up time for a small increase to dodge makes this "upgrade" very underwhelming. On the bright side it's cheap, you can buy/refund it every 2 hours for free and the icon for it is very cool!

The exception to the rule...

While the above gear will serve you well for every fight in ICC10, there is one exception that being Sindragosa: You will need to crack out the ol' resist gear for this one to be able to survive the frost breaths in Phase 3. Have all three plate frost resist pieces made if you haven't got them already, put 30 stamina gems in all the sockets and HP/Stamina enchants. For crit immunity use your Purified Onyxia Blood Talisman. This does mean that you won't be able to equip your Pillars of Might due to the absence of defence on them so this is where our tier legs (Lightsworn Legguards (Heroic)) become useful.
Last edited by Lieris on Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:46 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Re: ICC10: What to wear and why!

Postby Shathus » Wed Jan 27, 2010 11:58 am

Small note, you have the Heroic Saurfang 10 bracers linked, not sure if that was intentional or not since all your other gear (badge gear excluded) was 251.

Also, in terms of weapons, if you have the TOGC10 armor sword (since you've made reference to other TOGC10 items), I'm not convinced Marrowgar's mace is really an upgrade (unless you're dying for +hit). Just something else to mention.

So just small nitpicking, nice list and reasoning though.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Wed Jan 27, 2010 12:17 pm

Yeah I'll have the normal mode loot linked with a link to the heroic version in brackets when I get round to revising it.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby honorshammer » Wed Jan 27, 2010 1:07 pm

Libram of the Eternal Tower is a waste of badges at this point in the cycle. It's a tiny upgrade over Valiance, and it's got the same stacking mechanism that ruins the Organ.

And speaking of Trinkets, Glyph of Indomitability is solid EH with a very nice On Use. It's far more reliable than the Organ.
honorshammer

Postby sabedoriaclark » Wed Jan 27, 2010 4:38 pm

Great list and explanations. I have no idea how I'll ever afford the crafted items. I'm a BS and I have the boot pattern already, but they just seem insanely overpriced.

It seems a shame that for 10man the 4pc set bonus is never desirable enough to overshadow the badge gear. I wish they would end the ilevel apartheid against 10man raiding guilds who often have more difficult content for lesser rewards.
sabedoriaclark

Postby Halnoth » Wed Jan 27, 2010 5:22 pm

sabedoriaclark wrote: I wish they would end the ilevel apartheid against 10man raiding guilds who often have more difficult content for lesser rewards.

While I agree the ilevel differences between 10m and 25m are a little cumbersome especially when you factor in badge gear. I don't really think you should be comparing the apartheid to anything in WoW lol that is just a little much. Even if you took it at the literal dictionary definition it is a little bit much. OH NOES MY INTERNET CIVIL LIBERTIES ARE BEING TAKEN AWAY BECUZ I RAID TEH 10MANZ DOWN WITH THE OPPRESSIVE 25m RAIDERZ!!11!!!
Halnoth

Postby sabedoriaclark » Wed Jan 27, 2010 6:10 pm

Yeah. I was being deliberately extreme for comedic effect. They call it hyperbole or some shit like that. Obviously the Apartheid was a horrible horrible thing that no one should make hilarious effing jokes about.

But seriously - down with those oppressive 25man raiders!
sabedoriaclark

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 1:49 am

Excellant work Lieris, exactly what I was looking for as I intend to split the gearing guide into sections for 10 and 25 man raids. If you would be so kind as to insert the 10 man normal options in for the drops and [bracket] the heroic drops that would be awesome.

I just need the same written by someone for 25 man now. Anyone interested should PM me rather than just posting something as we have too many people just randomly posting guides currently and while I appreciate the effort and thought I do not have the time to collate everything at this moment so please PM me if you are thinking of posting a guide as I don't think it is necessary to have 4 BiS guides for ICC as an example, it spreads confusion and uncertainty.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Kisko » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:08 am

I don't see much point in strictly 10m lists, considering that even baddies can pug ICC 25m today.
I'm not exactly at the top progression server (#21 in US), but our PUGs reliably clearing first wing.

May be it will be more useful to create combined list of ICC 10 and ICC 25 gear.

So let's add i264 loot:

Head ... Broken Ram Skull Helm

Shoulders ... Boneguard Commander's Pauldrons

Wrist ... Bracers of Dark Reckoning

Legs ... Legguards of Lost Hope

Ring ... Juggernaut Band or Harbinger's Bone Band

All these you will get in a month or two, depending on your RNG luck.

Also I wouldn't recommend anything but stamina trinkets for ICC ... Corroded Skeleton Key + Satrina's Impeding Scarab (or ToGC version, if you lucky enough to have it).

Tier gear? Who needs it?
I mean, seriously, more threat for pally tanks is not a bonus at all, we already producing so much of it that you can pull from MT with auto-attack.
4-piece bonus is at least something, but unless your guild can guarantee you first four Marks ... it's a long wait for it.
Kisko

Postby Lieris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 4:48 am

Kisko wrote:I don't see much point in strictly 10m lists, considering that even baddies can pug ICC 25m today.
I'm not exactly at the top progression server (#21 in US), but our PUGs reliably clearing first wing.

May be it will be more useful to create combined list of ICC 10 and ICC 25 gear.

So let's add i264 loot:

No. If you're not a 10 man raider this thread isn't for you, go post on the many 25 man threads.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:00 am

Barathorn wrote:Excellant work Lieris, exactly what I was looking for as I intend to split the gearing guide into sections for 10 and 25 man raids. If you would be so kind as to insert the 10 man normal options in for the drops and [bracket] the heroic drops that would be awesome.

Thank you for the kind words. :) All done now.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:07 am

honorshammer wrote:Libram of the Eternal Tower is a waste of badges at this point in the cycle. It's a tiny upgrade over Valiance, and it's got the same stacking mechanism that ruins the Organ.

And speaking of Trinkets, Glyph of Indomitability is solid EH with a very nice On Use. It's far more reliable than the Organ.

I added the Glyph. I still think the heroic Organ is worth getting because of the passive armour, it pulls ahead of our previous trinkets through sheer ilevel difference not because it's well designed.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jan 28, 2010 5:42 am

Kisko wrote:I don't see much point in strictly 10m lists, considering that even baddies can pug ICC 25m today.

There are a lot of members of this forum in 10 man guilds or who PuG as casual players who have no wish to/the chance to do 25 man raids for whatever reason as well as 25 man raiders with no wish to do 10 man content.

Because of this it is my intention to have gearing guides for both 10 and 25 man raids, both normal mode and heroic, as well as a brief crossover guide for those people doing both sizes and types of raid.

I think this offers a lot more to the community in terms of 'understanding' as it is very easy to potentially give poor advice if your raid size is different to the person asking the question. This is something I am keen to avoid as much as possible. I want the lines to be clearly defined rather than murky and this is the best way I can see of moving onwards towards Cataclysm while providing clear information for the many people who use this site.

Hence me wanting people to PM me before writing guides, so we don't get 20 number 25 man guides and no 10 man guides at all. It is the intention that the guides tie in loosely with the 'stages to gearing your tankadin' guide which Digren has worked particuarly hard on. So that heroics - end game is covered in depth without being overwhelming.

I hope that explains a little better why we are moving this way. If anyone has any questions please PM me rather than responding in this thread.

Apologies for the highjack Lieris.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Giddeon » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:16 am

I for one never raid 25 man, unless it's a rare 25 man VoA after a more rare WG for the Ally side on my server. This is much appreciated Lieris. I was working on my own personal list so thanks for the work
Giddeon

Postby Bertman » Thu Jan 28, 2010 6:40 am

I am too a strictly 10 man raider with the odd VoA 25 pug.

Much appreciated Lieris!
Bertman

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice