Remove Advertisements

Hi, I just started fine tuning my pally.

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Hi, I just started fine tuning my pally.

Postby Iboughtpower » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 am

I'm looking for some pro tips in getting my spec and gear up to par. I'm getting conflicting things mainly about my spec. I have read a lot of the guides here and looked through the builds. Right now I'm wondering what I should do for a basic spec as I'm being told different things.

Also, as far as my gear goes I'm about to get the Tier 9 chest piece and after that I'm kind of lost where I should go from there. Along with that I'm not sure if I need more parry or not. I'm trying to get it up to at least 21-22% with my dodge at 24-25%.
Iboughtpower

Re: Hi, I just started fine tuning my pally.

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:00 am

Armory link please.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Iboughtpower » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:02 am

Iboughtpower

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:10 am

Your spec is fine. I wouldn't use the hammer glyph, but that's a personal choice.

I think you could get rid of Repelling Charge since you defense is so high. What other trinkets do you have?

Upgrade your Signet of the Impregnable Fortress to Clutch of Fortification (35 EoT), upgrade your boot enchant to +22 stamina. Consider using agility/stamina gems. You're missing some +12 socket bonuses... I would definitely gem for those. And level your BS up to get the benefit of the crafted sockets.

Overall you're in decent shape though.

What's your end goal? End game raiding? Heroics? Farm content?
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Iboughtpower » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:20 am

Both end game raiding and heroics. It's the reason why i got the 2 tanking specs instead of an off spec.

I'm having trouble with the spec that has SoC it seems I'm losing a lot more mana then i was. I had it set for the 3R 5V and 3C combo they have in the matlab and it worked okay. This one is working amazing on threat but it for some reason eats up a lot of mana. (This is in Heroic OK that I used it. I haven't had a chance to test it anywhere else.)

O yeah and the only other trinket I have is the gossamer for tanking.
Iboughtpower

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:26 am

I can't see any reason why your mana intake would decrease with your SoComm spec. If anything, you should have MORE mana due to taking slightly more damage from not having Vindication. It's possible it was just the instance you were running at the time.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Iboughtpower » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:28 am

I was told that it could of been my avoidance was to high for the instance. However it was higher the other day around 26 dodge 21 parry and I didn't have any issues with mana. I'm not sure why i did then, and I'm wanting to figure it out before I pug up so I don't get into a bad situation.
Iboughtpower

Postby Nikachelle » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:45 am

Well there's a few things that you learn to manage over time that really only comes with experience. As you get more gear, the less effectively you get hit, which is of course a good thing, but it can make heroics rough. You end up having to maximize your threat output in comparison to your mana gains. Which typically means dropping consecration from your rotation if there isn't enough mobs on you. Or pulling multiple packs at once. Always ensuring Divine plea is up and DON'T give it time to drop off between packs. Potting is also another method (thankfully, I'm an alchemist and the endless mana potion means that I don't really have to balance my mana that much.)

Even the best geared tanks in this game can manage their mana enough that they don't ever have to drink between pulls. New tanks figure they need to blow all their spells at the mobs in order to keep them on them, which is really not the case.

Other issues can be what the players around you are doing. If the DK uses AoD and you're tanking NOTHING because of it, then you'll run out of mana. If ranged are pulling mobs off you, then you're not getting hit.
Nikachelle
Maintankadonor

Postby Iboughtpower » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:03 am

What heroics/raids should I be aiming for as far as getting decent gear? Also any idea what I need to be heading for to at least get 40k with sanc buff?
Iboughtpower

Postby Grehn|Skipjack » Thu Dec 17, 2009 11:11 am

You're past the point of heroics giving loot you need, though your shield could be upgraded in Reg HoR. For raids, I'd look to Uld25 or ToC10 if you server still does those. I think you need about 36k hp for BoSanc to push you to 40k by itself. Upgrading your 24stam gems to 30 stam gems would net you about 400hp, if you're willing to spend the gold. Also, running a second stam trinket like the Essence of Gossamer, the Heart of Iron, one of the two Brewfest trinkets if you have them would net you 1-2k extra hp.
The Seeker.
Grehn|Skipjack
Maintankadonor

Postby Iboughtpower » Sun Dec 20, 2009 8:48 am

I've gotten the Gossamer trinket, but I'm still short of the 40k HP. Right now the guild I am in is very small and I can't tank many raids because of mainly my HP. So is there anything I can do to improve my gear with out raiding? While I have main tanked nax10 and OS 10 thats about all I've been given the opportunity to do. I try to join as an OT but everyone says I need 40k first. So I'm stuck with heroics for the moment until I can get to the 35+ HP mark. That being said I'm making roughly 80-100 triumph badges a day. Is there any way I could improve my gear with these? Or do I need to start looking for a new server/guild?
Iboughtpower

Postby Shoju » Mon Dec 21, 2009 9:16 am

YOU DO NOT NEED 40K HP BUFFED TO TANK

Uld10
Uld25
ToC10
ToC25

You should be REALLY close or just over 40k for ToGC10, ToGC25, ICC10,

I don't think a single tank in my guild can hit 40k unbuffed and we have cleared ICC10, and are 1/5 togc10.

If you are talking about pugs, I'm sorry. PuGs are full of people that want to be carried.
Shoju

Postby Iboughtpower » Wed Apr 14, 2010 11:44 pm

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... oughtpower

Okay so I'm back again, and I upgraded my cloak. Since then I've been noticing I'm really squishy. I'll take huge crits a lot of the time, so I was wondering if you guys could take a look at my gear and give me some insight.
Iboughtpower

Postby lythac » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:30 am

Iboughtpower wrote:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=undermine&n=iboughtpower

Okay so I'm back again, and I upgraded my cloak. Since then I've been noticing I'm really squishy. I'll take huge crits a lot of the time, so I was wondering if you guys could take a look at my gear and give me some insight.

A crit is a melee hit that hits for twice normal damage. The only way for you to be critted at 557def is if you sit down or the mob has increased crit chance. Some trash mobs in dungeons have this but they don't crit large enough to notice really.

Looking at your statistics page on armory you have not faced any boss that should be hitting you hard.

Most likely you are being hit by special abilities that are meant to be avoided. The Sell Flingers in OK have an attack that hits for 80% of your HP (which should be interupted), Ingvar has an attack that can hit up to 20k (has a 10 yard range and a cast time, you run away from this), Anub'Arak has a pound that hits for 20k (you run away from the direction he is casting), etc.

I see you have the AV rep ring but not a recorded Marrowgar kill. If you have been noticing large hits on Marrowgar its due to the tanks not being close enough to each other.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Barathorn » Thu Apr 15, 2010 2:41 am

lythac wrote:I see you have the AV rep ring but not a recorded Marrowgar kill. If you have been noticing large hits on Marrowgar its due to the tanks not being close enough to each other.

I agree, it is most likely that you are being hit by 'cleave' like abilities that a few bosses in WotLK have that the tanks have to stack up for.

If it isn't that then we need to look closely at what abilities you are using and situational awareness because as a generalisation most healers agree that Paladins are the 'easiest' tanks to heal currently due to the predictable nature of damage and our block mechanic.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice