Remove Advertisements

Seeking Advice

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Seeking Advice

Postby Hotchner » Mon Dec 14, 2009 7:58 am

Long time lurker, first time poster. Love the site!

Used stickies/guides here as my focal points for gearing/talents/etc. Now that I've acquired some gear I'm looking for advice for continued character development.

Here is my armory profile.

My first goal was defense cap. Now I'm trying to boost my melee hit rating without sacrificing too much defense. Am I on the right path here? Need to think differently?

Heroics, badges, and quick 10-mans is my main availability right now due to work/parenting.

Thanks in advance for any advice!

- Hotchner
Hotchner

Re: Seeking Advice

Postby Digren » Mon Dec 14, 2009 12:36 pm

Why do you think you need hit rating? Are you trying to tank for people who outgear you, and are finding yourself struggling for threat? Or do you just not like misses when you taunt?

I see that you've already chosen to gem and enchant for strength and hit rating. I don't think this is the best choice. If you're having threat problems, go post here, preferably with a link to a log, and you'll get help in ways that don't include hurting your survivability to this large extent to gain threat.

I suggest starting out by reading my gem and enchant guide. There's a link in my sig. You'll find that the general recommendations for gems and enchants are very different than the ones you've chosen, and if you go with the general advice you'll find yourself healthier, more durable, and more agile, while still plenty able to keep the bad guys' attention.

Good luck!

|
|
|
V
Digren

Postby Hotchner » Sat Dec 19, 2009 1:26 pm

I was assuming I would also need to up my hit rating to at/near the cap. As my groups typically go, I do not have a problem maintaining threat over the group, but I'm also not sure I'm being as efficient as I could be.

My boss rotation is: judgement -> shield of righteousness -> holy shield -> hammer of the righteous -> consecrate (or I may skip consecrate if I'm low on mana)

I'm not sure if this is the best rotation, but it does keep me going nonstop without having to wait on cooldowns. If Divine Plea comes up during a boss fight, I generally use it in the place of Consecrate so as to not throw off my rotation.

I will definitely give your guide a close read and see what changes I need to make. I also plan to grab a mod for combat log tracking so I can get expert advice here on other changes I need to make to be a more effective/efficient tank.

Thanks for the input!
Hotchner

Postby Hotchner » Mon Apr 05, 2010 8:50 am

Armory profile

Looking for more feedback for character development. My guild started ICC10 one night a week recently with Saurfang being our top kill so far.

I have 60 frost badges I could spend now. Considering either Corroded Skeleton Key or Gauntlets of the Kraken. Or would holding out for Sanctified Lightsworn Handguards from VoA25 be a better hand slot choice?

I use a typical 9696 rotation to tank and vary it depending on the situation if it's called for.

Thanks,

Hotchner
Hotchner

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Apr 05, 2010 9:59 am

Hotchner wrote:I was assuming I would also need to up my hit rating to at/near the cap. As my groups typically go, I do not have a problem maintaining threat over the group, but I'm also not sure I'm being as efficient as I could be.

Tanking efficiently means doing being as easy to heal as possible while not threatcapping your dps.

Hotchner wrote:My boss rotation is: judgement -> shield of righteousness -> holy shield -> hammer of the righteous -> consecrate (or I may skip consecrate if I'm low on mana)
I'm not sure if this is the best rotation, but it does keep me going nonstop without having to wait on cooldowns. If Divine Plea comes up during a boss fight, I generally use it in the place of Consecrate so as to not throw off my rotation.

http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/ ... ic#p521490
You should be using your abilities in a 969 manner (numbers represent the Cooldowns). For example, the first few secs of a boss fight should look like:

Countdown from 5.
5 - Divine Plea
4 -
3 - Holy Shield
2 - (Prepot here if you want to)
1 -
0 - Hand of Reckoning + Avenger's Shield (Fight Starts)

ShoR -> Judgment -> HotR -> Holy Shield -> ShoR -> Consecration .... etc

ShoR and HotR are 6s cooldowns.
Judgment, Holy Shield, and Consecration are 9s cooldowns. (not really but you push em to 9.)

Hotchner wrote:I will definitely give your guide a close read and see what changes I need to make. I also plan to grab a mod for combat log tracking so I can get expert advice here on other changes I need to make to be a more effective/efficient tank.

Thanks for the input!

Grab a mod called Acheron Death Reports (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... heron.html)
It shows you the last few seconds of the life of any raid member (including you). It's a log viewer of deaths basically.
chinoquezada

Postby cds4850 » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:04 am

chinoquezada wrote:Grab a mod called Acheron Death Reports (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... heron.html)
It shows you the last few seconds of the life of any raid member (including you). It's a log viewer of deaths basically.

Slightly offtopic, but I've always wondered about the benefit of this particular add-on over utilizing the recount death querry mode. Through this, you can filter incoming damage, heals, auras, etc.
cds4850

Postby chinoquezada » Mon Apr 05, 2010 10:26 am

cds4850 wrote:
chinoquezada wrote:Grab a mod called Acheron Death Reports (http://www.wowinterface.com/downloads/i ... heron.html)

Slightly offtopic, but I've always wondered about the benefit of this particular add-on over utilizing the recount death querry mode. Through this, you can filter incoming damage, heals, auras, etc.

Never used the recount death query mode, so can't discuss about it.
But Acheron shows a timeline of death and you can identify lack of heals, stacks of a debuff, etc.
chinoquezada

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice