Spending Badges in 3.3

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Spending Badges in 3.3

Postby bldavis » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:19 am

Njall wrote:After being held down and brutally beaten by the other tanks in my guild, I apparently have the belt. At least they threw in a set of gems and a buckle too...

...and I finally clear 40K health unbuffed.

it took the blet for me to hit this point too

and at least you have other tanks in your guild, i am the second best geared tank, and the 4th best geared toon (and the 14th on my hunter) so no-one will beat me to get upgrades :(

Brekkie:Tanks are like shitty DPS. And healers are like REALLY distracted DPS
Amirya:Why yes, your penis is longer than his because you hit 30k dps in the first 10 seconds. But guess what? That raid boss has a dick bigger than your ego.
Flex:I don't make mistakes. I execute carefully planned strategic group wipes.
Levie:(in /g) It's weird, I have a collar and I dont know where I got it from, Worgen are kinky!
Levie:Drunk Lev goes and does what he pleases just to annoy sober Lev.
Sagara:You see, you need to *spread* the bun before you insert the hot dog.
bldavis

Location: Searching for myself. If i get back before I return, please have me stop and wait for myself.

Postby theckhd » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:38 am

honorshammer wrote:I have 70 badges right now.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... norshammer (ignore the weapon, I was using it in a heroic just before I logged. I have Marrow's mace)

We are a 10 man guild still a little ways from Arthas and Hard Modes. I still want the Kraken gloves, Cat chest T10 shoulders and Helm. Boots, and shoulders are my weakest pieces. Boots I should have Kingly Upheaval by the week's end. I could replace the Shoulders but I'd lose my 2pc T9 bonus. Would it be advisable to wait until I had 2pc T10 to break my 2pc T9?

So I was thinking save for the Cat chest since it's the most expensive thing I'm after at the moment.

The 39 STR you gain going to the 251 shoulders more than offsets the 2-piece T9 bonus (iirc 2pT10 is worth ~100 STR, so 2pT9 is about ~25).

It looks like the only badge options you need are (if you plan on getting Pillars crafted for legs):
-gloves (kraken or tier, upgrading from 232 tier)
-chest (kraken or tier, upgrading from 251 drop)
-shoulders (tier, upgrading from 232 tier)
-helm (tier, upgrading from 245 badge)

In your situation, the biggest defensive upgrades are Cat chest and Kraken gloves due to the armor. I'd personally wait on Kraken in case you get a lucky VoA drop. The shoulders are another reasonable option, though they don't give you a very large survivability upgrade. I'd save the helm for last - it's very good, but 245->251 isn't a huge leap and you're not gaining a lot of armor like you would with the chest upgrade. Chest->Shoulders->Gloves->Helm would probably be my purchase order in your situation, though Shoulder->Chest->Gloves->Helm would be fine too if you're not the limiting factor in wipes.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Knuckls » Wed Feb 10, 2010 11:50 am

theckhd wrote:Chest->Shoulders->Gloves->Helm would probably be my purchase order in your situation, though Shoulder->Chest->Gloves->Helm would be fine too if you're not the limiting factor in wipes.

This is pretty much the path I'm taking as well. The chest was my most recent upgrade and I had the crafted gear made at the same time. My next purchase will be the 2pc Head/Shoulders but still deciding whether to wait and do it at the same time or prioritize one over the other. Similar to many in this thread, I'm a 10 man raider that pugs 25 on occasion but not often. We're a ways from hard modes so tokens won't be coming my way for awhile.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Knuckls

Now if only a new neck and bracers would drop from the first wing.... :evil:

:mrgreen: :mrgreen:
Knuckls

Postby Taragor » Wed Feb 10, 2010 1:47 pm

Theck, thanks for the info in the previous posts about the str gain from 2pc t10 as opposed to keeping the 2pc t9. With that in mind, as well as the idea of possibly getting gloves in VoA, I am going to make my next purchase a new chest piece. Soooo my dilema right now is which chest piece would benefit me most.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... cn=Taragor

Also, since I have been lucky to grab the 264 versions of shoulders and legs from ICC 25. So I question how significant crafting pillars would be at this time, when my gloves and chest are still t9. Thus the chest seems to be the next logical upgrade. Any suggestions? Is the tier chest the best option, but can I afford to lose the def?

Thanks in advance all for your help!

My guild is a 25 man raiding guild along with 10's. I am one of 3 MT's in guild, so I am always on progression runs.
Taragor

Postby halabar » Thu Feb 11, 2010 8:55 am

Went ahead and got the cloak, so that is done.

Next is either Kraken (if Vault doesn't cough up gloves before I have 60 emblems) or the shoulders if Vault does cough up gloves. At the rate I am going on emblems, that might be 2 or 3 more weeks.. (12 emblems right now, /cry my ICC 10 only got 4 bosses down due to the lag boss messing things up).
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Apollya » Thu Feb 11, 2010 9:34 am

Hmmm.

So Originally I'd planned to have the gear profiled below as my main set for starting heroic Modes. I want the 4Set Bonus as I think it'll seriously help us while starting on hard modes.

http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20801275

Now here's the dilemma, I went on our weekly VoA 25 "PuG" earlier today and low and behold the 264 Prot legs drop (incidently the Prot Warr legs also dropped so we have a few happy tanks in our raid now). The issue now is I was looking instead of taking T10 legs over Pillars of Might and Kraken instead of T10 Gauntlets while still keeping the set bonus. But not sure exactly how it works out, although the idea of not having to mess about with 12 Titantsteel is appealing. For me I worry a little about dropping even more hit and around 1000 armor than I already had (not that threat is an issue but still).

Anyways Here's link to the 2nd Gearset to be able to Compare against.

Oh I also already have Belt and trinket bought with frost, 1 token and 245 badges ready to upgrade into T10.

http://www.wowhead.com/?profile=20801330

What do people think, both Viable enough? any suggestions on how to improve it at all?

Oh I also have already bought Belt + Trinket and have 1 token and 245 Frost Badges ready saved to upgrade into T10. (Yes I was waiting and going straight to 264 ilvl. Oh and as for Cloak, I know Badge cloak is BiS but am avoiding it for time being in order to keep Exp on current cloak.
Apollya

Postby Shathus » Thu Feb 11, 2010 3:03 pm

Is anyone even bothering to try and match sockets on the Krakken gloves? With the lack of a blue socket, I would guess not, since you lose 21 stam to gain 10 agi and 10 def.

Gonna try VoA this week to see if the tier gloves drop, otherwise grab these bad boys, stick 2 30 stam gems an my engineering enchant on em and enjoy.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Thu Feb 11, 2010 5:15 pm

Shathus wrote:Is anyone even bothering to try and match sockets on the Krakken gloves? With the lack of a blue socket, I would guess not

You guessed right :P
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Talderas » Fri Feb 12, 2010 12:58 pm

I'm trying to help my co-tank decide on which 60 Frost item to buy. He's gotten to two choices, Verdigis Chain Belt and the Key.

His upgrades are....
Girdle of the Nether Champion -> Verdigis
Black Heart -> Key

In your opinion, which is the more effective upgrade?
Vanifae wrote:Let it be known that on the morning of the 25th of March in the year of our Lord 2010, I agree with Minnerva.
Talderas

Postby Knuckls » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:29 pm

Talderas wrote:I'm trying to help my co-tank decide on which 60 Frost item to buy. He's gotten to two choices, Verdigis Chain Belt and the Key.

His upgrades are....
Black Heart -> Key

Is it the normal belt or heroic? I was in pretty much the same situation and upgraded the normal belt to Verdigris as my first badge piece. I upgraded my cloak and chest (The Cat) before I got the key and used Black Heart and Brewfest, however my raid wasn't/isn't suffering from my survivability and I am only raiding 10 man content so your mileage may vary.
Knuckls

Postby Shathus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 1:35 pm

Talderas wrote:I'm trying to help my co-tank decide on which 60 Frost item to buy. He's gotten to two choices, Verdigis Chain Belt and the Key.

His upgrades are....
Black Heart -> Key

Is he replacing the 232 or 245 version of the belt? If 232, then definitely the belt, you still gain a big chunk of stam but also get a bunch of armor and other stats. The 245 belt obviously lessens the upgrade amount some, but overall I think it gives a nice stat upgrade, especially if you won't be seeing another 264 belt from ICC25 (Festergut?) anytime soon. I probably won't pick up the Key until I get 1 more tier and another off-tier piece (currently using brewfest + heart of iron... damn you Juggernaught!
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby Relwynd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:00 pm

Oh mighty Theckhd! Bringer of numbers, pounding headaches, and deductively reasoned wisdom! I beseech you for your help! (And anyone else for that matter...)

Here is my current armory:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zangarmarsh&n=Relwynd

My dilemma is that I'm a 10 man raider (that is struggling, but that is something for the frustrations thread) and occasionally 25 guild alliance/pug. My original plan was T10 Helm/shoulders followed by off sets. Since getting the Saurfang 25 shoulders, my whole plan got shot down. I'm now torn as to what to do to secure T10 2 piece. I am slowly working towards getting the crafted Boots, as they look good (graphically and stat wise) and my drop options are limited there.

Can anyone help with this? Is it worth it to still try for the shoulders (and pray for a token) or should I go for another piece as it would be seemingly smarter?
Relwynd

Postby Shathus » Fri Feb 12, 2010 2:20 pm

Relwynd wrote:Oh mighty Theckhd! Bringer of numbers, pounding headaches, and deductively reasoned wisdom! I beseech you for your help! (And anyone else for that matter...)

Here is my current armory:http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Zangarmarsh&n=Relwynd

My dilemma is that I'm a 10 man raider (that is struggling, but that is something for the frustrations thread) and occasionally 25 guild alliance/pug. My original plan was T10 Helm/shoulders followed by off sets. Since getting the Saurfang 25 shoulders, my whole plan got shot down. I'm now torn as to what to do to secure T10 2 piece. I am slowly working towards getting the crafted Boots, as they look good (graphically and stat wise) and my drop options are limited there.

Can anyone help with this? Is it worth it to still try for the shoulders (and pray for a token) or should I go for another piece as it would be seemingly smarter?

With 264 in the shoulders, I'd say it's time to look elsewhere for upgrades, unless you're looking to use the 4pc bonus as soon as possible. If you think you might ever use the crafted pants, I would go for the tier gloves to complete your 2pc as you won't have enough defense with boots+pants+chest (with no +def) otherwise and with the armor upgrade, it's not a half-bad option. Especially since your current shoulders will make up some of the stam difference you lose not having the 2nd socket.

That's my 2 cents at least.
Shathus
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:16 pm

Yeah, my advice would be the same in this situation. If tokens are in short supply, grab the gloves to make the 2-piece.

Though I would save up the Cat chest first, you might get lucky with VoA in the meantime.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Feb 13, 2010 4:51 am

So, sitting at enough badges that I'd be able to buy the Cataclysmic Chestguard later today, last night I got the chest from Deathwhisper, as the last of five tanks in our guild to get it.

Now I'm in a conundrum. My emblem options are chest, trinket, helm, or shoulders (legs are off the list because of VoA, Saurfang drop, and the Pillars all being available). The chest is still the best upgrade for me compared to the other slots (232 Judgement Helmet, Shoulderplates of Enduring Order). I am going to end up purchasing the chest eventually anyway.

So... either I buy the chest anyway, and hope I get an opportunity to trade the Deathwhisper drop to our Holy Paladin before the timer runs out, or I buy the helm and wait another two weeks or more for the chest. I'm thinking this is going to have to be decided by seeing what drops in VoA today - if I can get the tier legs, then the 2 piece bonus might push things in the helm's favour.

I was surprised to see how little I will gain going from the 10 man Ony helm to 251 tier, to be honest. 127 armour and 68 parry - it's stamina neutral, and a big drop in Hit (I'm over cap anyway)...

Note: I am highly unlikely to upgrade any tier pieces to 264.
Temporarily playing WoW again.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice