passive block cap set for Anub'arak

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: passive block cap set for Anub'arak

Postby Kaienn » Thu Oct 22, 2009 11:10 am

I've been single tanking all 4 adds for the past two nights now and we've got it to the point where that isn't a problem anymore.

http://chardev.org/?profile=307637

That is my gear set while having enough hit to get aggro on the adds, enough BV to mitigate dmg from the adds, all while maintaining passive unhittable.

I have a single hunter MD the right side adds (while facing anub from the entrance) to me, while i Hand of reckoning the back left add and AS (Glyphed) the front left add. The reason i make sure to do it in that order is so the back one does not get slowed to the point where it's out of range by the time it's casting shadow strike.

When I'm under AA waiting for adds to spawn, I have my camera angle in a way where i'm looking directly at the left wall. That's the best way to target the adds it seems like so i make sure to target the front left one quickly then go to an overhead camera angle and then pickup the back left add from that.
Kaienn

Postby slipey » Fri Oct 23, 2009 7:55 am

I'm curious how fast the 4 adds consume your holy shield charges. I have a set with fairly high BV (2700) but it only puts me over 101.6% when holy shield is up. Is this going to be enough to handle all 4 adds or do I really need passive 101.6%? How fast do they hit when all 4 are together?
Slipey of Nathrezim US
slipey

Postby Wrathy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 8:25 am

I looked at the combat logs specifically for when I tanked all four adds, and It looks like I took around 12 hits a second from the snap shot I was looking at, with all four adds up. So with that being said, your holy shield would be eaten up in about 3/4 of a second.

Edit: 2700 is not enough block value either. I have ~3300 bv unbuffed and I still take around 2.0-3k damage per add with no absorb at 3831 raid buffed block value.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 23, 2009 9:54 am

Wrathy wrote:I looked at the combat logs specifically for when I tanked all four adds, and It looks like I took around 12 hits a second from the snap shot I was looking at, with all four adds up. So with that being said, your holy shield would be eaten up in about 3/4 of a second.

Edit: 2700 is not enough block value either. I have ~3300 bv unbuffed and I still take around 2.0-3k damage per add with no absorb at 3831 raid buffed block value.

12 hits per second? That can't be right. If you're taking 2k-3k damage per add attack, and you're taking 12 attacks per second, you'd be taking 24-36k damage per second, in addition to leeching swarm.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby lythac » Fri Oct 23, 2009 10:42 am

theckhd wrote:
Wrathy wrote:I looked at the combat logs specifically for when I tanked all four adds, and It looks like I took around 12 hits a second from the snap shot I was looking at, with all four adds up. So with that being said, your holy shield would be eaten up in about 3/4 of a second.

12 hits per second? That can't be right. If you're taking 2k-3k damage per add attack, and you're taking 12 attacks per second, you'd be taking 24-36k damage per second, in addition to leeching swarm.

Must be 12 swings rather than hits, Wrathy's linked gear has him at 56.3% avoidance vs 82 which would be an average of 13.11k DTPS.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Postby Wrathy » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:00 am

Theck I would say that was pretty accurate. I was bouncing up and down like a ping pong with four adds on me. We actually, and as for P3, when I pop my lava talisman, i block all incoming damage so all i eat is leeching swarm.

You have to remember that on top of the blocked damage, I have disc priest bubbles, and quite a bit of avoidance, so I will have to look at the numbers for acutally damage per second. I'll link a combat log later, as our WoL is private.
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby theckhd » Fri Oct 23, 2009 11:47 am

Wrathy wrote:Theck I would say that was pretty accurate. I was bouncing up and down like a ping pong with four adds on me. We actually, and as for P3, when I pop my lava talisman, i block all incoming damage so all i eat is leeching swarm.

You have to remember that on top of the blocked damage, I have disc priest bubbles, and quite a bit of avoidance, so I will have to look at the numbers for acutally damage per second. I'll link a combat log later, as our WoL is private.

It would have to be 12 attacks then, as "hits" implies you didn't avoid the attack.

In any event, how in the world do 4 mobs put out 12 attacks per second? Is their swing timer really 330 ms? I've yet to do the heroic 25 version, but certainly in 10-heroic it's nowhere near that fast.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Meloree » Fri Oct 23, 2009 12:04 pm

theckhd wrote:It would have to be 12 attacks then, as "hits" implies you didn't avoid the attack.

In any event, how in the world do 4 mobs put out 12 attacks per second? Is their swing timer really 330 ms? I've yet to do the heroic 25 version, but certainly in 10-heroic it's nowhere near that fast.

2s swing timer. One stack of buff makes it 1 second. 2 stacks makes it 0.5 seconds. 3 stacks makes it 0.25 seconds. The haste buff scales multiplicatively, because they're all separate buffs (rather than stacking buffs which typically scale additively in WoW).

So, 4 adds on a 0.25 second swing timer makes for 16 attacks per second. If they have melee attack speed slow on them, it's about a 0.3 second swing timer, or about 12 attacks per second.

Wrathy, make sure someone is putting up Demo shout on all the adds for you, it'll make a huge difference. If the attacks are still landing for 3k, it's going to be tough to keep all 4 on you during P3, with leeching swarm also taking chunks out of your health.
Meloree
Maintankadonor

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:08 am

I understand the theory of why we would want to do this (I'm not in Anu-25-man-hard yet), but...

From what I have seen sofar, the problems on Anu are not our healing him too much, it's that the dps just isn't fast enough during the rest of the fight, or that people are stupid (or a lack of good raid heals - having 2 pally healers is not a good way to balance keeping the dps at under 40% health but not dying).

In my 25-man coalition runs, dps is the issue. It's taking far too long to get to phase 3.

I can see where this would make a difference on 20k wipes, but I don't see where it would make a real difference otherwise. Please tell me what I am missing.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:15 am

halabar wrote:I understand the theory of why we would want to do this (I'm not in Anu-25-man-hard yet), but...

From what I have seen sofar, the problems on Anu are not our healing him too much, it's that the dps just isn't fast enough during the rest of the fight, or that people are stupid (or a lack of good raid heals - having 2 pally healers is not a good way to balance keeping the dps at under 40% health but not dying).

In my 25-man coalition runs, dps is the issue. It's taking far too long to get to phase 3.

I can see where this would make a difference on 20k wipes, but I don't see where it would make a real difference otherwise. Please tell me what I am missing.

Well if you aren't doing hard mode there's really no need for the block set. The point of the block set is to handle the adds in P3 with one tank, and you can get a lot of adds built up. However, if you are doing normal mode only, then adds stop spawning when P3 starts. So you are right, this doesn't really apply to your situation.

You need to improve your DPS, if you are hitting the enrage, try to shooting for getting him to P3 without him burrowing a third time. If he burrows a third time, then the enrage timer will be a factor. That means blowing CDs and Heroism early, and possibly ignoring adds until he burrows.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby halabar » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:52 am

Fridmarr wrote:
halabar wrote:I understand the theory of why we would want to do this (I'm not in Anu-25-man-hard yet), but...

Well if you aren't doing hard mode there's really no need for the block set. The point of the block set is to handle the adds in P3 with one tank, and you can get a lot of adds built up. However, if you are doing normal mode only, then adds stop spawning when P3 starts. So you are right, this doesn't really apply to your situation.

You need to improve your DPS, if you are hitting the enrage, try to shooting for getting him to P3 without him burrowing a third time. If he burrows a third time, then the enrage timer will be a factor. That means blowing CDs and Heroism early, and possibly ignoring adds until he burrows.

How many adds in 25-hard? still 2 at a time? We have been running 3 tanks in reg 25, perhaps we need to go to 2, so we have that extra dps.
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby PsiVen » Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:40 pm

25 Heroic is 4 adds, one from every spot they can spawn from at once. As mentioned before, their auras stack for absurd haste and their damage debuff stacks to the max very quickly.
Gladiator Psiven, Retired Tankadin
WoW-sober since March 2014
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Trevize » Wed Oct 28, 2009 7:22 am

To kinda get this back to the point about the block set. There is a 22 page thread in the strat section that has a ton of in-depth strats for this fight.

On page 11
http://maintankadin.failsafedesign.com/forum/index.php?f=36&t=25850&rb_v=viewtopic&start=150

Absalom very graciously went into detail about his set. I think he was US Horde First on Anub.
He noticed that dropping ~2% below unhittable in exchange for 2 piece T9 with the extra Block Value yielded him much less damage taken over the entire fight.

Useful info if you are on the bubble about a piece of gear that might drop you below unhittable but give you a ton of block value. Simple answer is do it.
Trevize

Postby Wrathy » Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:11 am

I'll echo that. I dropped below using most of what he outlined last night and did not suffer any burst damage. I reduced my damage intake significantly by increasing my block value by ~200, bringing my total block value up to ~4k raid buffed.

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Vathral2 » Wed Oct 28, 2009 1:10 pm

I'm trying to make a passive block set as well for my alt paladin, and I have the majority of my items, but still missing some obvious pieces (Razorscale's belt, Freya's neck, maexxna bracers and the IC gloves).

One question however for those who have done this already. Since my paladin is just an alt, I have a very difficult time obtaining Fate's Clutch since our runs still haven't seen it often enough for me to request a shot at it (even though I'm our raid leader), but I however have the Band of the Traitor King off Anub'arak.

Going off the set Absalom wrote in that thread, does the socket in Fate's Clutch seriously push Band of the Traitor king that far away in regards to using it? Or do you guys think that if I had every other item in the list outside of the ring, that I should be fine?

Also, for weapons, would you guys recommend a Sorthalis, Blood and Glory, or should I hope Anub'arak drops a 2nd Ardent Guard for me to snag up to gem specifically for Anub? I noticed that some use Shiver, Blood and Glory, but I haven't been lucky enough to see both of those (yet I have the 258 cloak sigh).
Vathral2

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice