Ratanna's 3.2 TTL Best-in-Slot Guide. Hard Mode Loot Incl

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Ratanna's 3.2 TTL Best-in-Slot Guide. Hard Mode Loot Incl

Postby Treck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 6:26 am

Theres a few parts i cannot really make sure of tbh.
First off the head:
I cant seem to decide if id prefer the added BV, or the extra avoidance + expertise on the other badge one. Ofc the 258 tier head beats it hands down, but im nowhere near getting anub on heroic.
So mostly trying to figure out what to wear now.
Ive never been a fan of expertise, and infact basicly go /rofl whenever i see a paladin gemming for it, however after reading Thecks reasoning about it beeing 80% as effective as dodge in reducing incomming attacks, im not sure (still wouldnt gem for it, but a lot of gear has shitloads of expertise).
The head counts towards the Set bonus, where the 2set would be slightly usefull, and ofc the 4set very nice aswell. But given the gear out there compared to how hard Anub is, my guess is that it would prolly be better to go with maybe the 2set bonus with T9, then rest offsets 258 instead of tier 9 (245).
Shoulders:
Theres a pair with Def, Parry and BV from Jaraxxuz 10man Heroic, with 2sockets instead of one as the Tier, Not counting for the Setbonus, id say those would prolly be "better". or?
Boots: The Twins boots from 10man Heroic are superior to the 25man Normal Jaraxxus boots imo.
Shield: The Bulward of the Royal Guard seems superior to Crystal Plated Vanguard Heroic to me, only the armor that would maybe put it over the top.
But mainly, would the 4setbonus really mean THAT much to sacrifice 258 offsets for 245 tier? The 2setbonus is easy to fit in since there isnt any real upgrades from the Head and Gloves T9 (245), but im not convinced 4set would be worth it, ofc good to have to swich around a bit depending on fights (highly usefull on algalon ^^)
Last: Moongoose, is it really better than blade ward? Any math on this in that case or such? I dont like Blood draining, but could it be usefull?
Great list, very handy.
I just made this "wishlist" for myself. It only includes gear that I personally can get atm since were progressing on Twins Heroic (thus no loot there or forward).
http://www.chardev.org/?template=253212
Treck

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 7:55 am

http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 322#buffer 01:50 48%
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 793#buffer 02:47 74%
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 855#buffer 01:17 59%
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 079#buffer 03:25 66%
http://www.wowmeteronline.com/combat/de ... 058#buffer 01:42 53%

and more. most of these are koralon or jaxxarus because there are no stun mechanics involved and you are constantly tanking and never offtanking.

so thats 48-74% of the fight while actively tanking that i had
~2% Haste
~1.32% Dodge (off my own buffed DR)
264 armor
2.53% Crit

it should be also noted that this hit/expertise will increase your uptime on mongoose. At the moment i have 38 hit rating 1.16%, and 19 expertise rating unbufffed (29 with sov). And i did not have a draenei in my group for hit buff.
winner winner chicken dinner
Ratanna

Postby Marvel » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:26 am

Nadir wrote:If you're after TTL in ToC raids, why on earth are you going for anything but 30 stamina gems (and the mandatory 15 STA red)? The two most stressful tank encounters, Heroic Beasts and Heroic Anub'arak, vastly favor higher health over avoidance or minimal armor gains. Threat isn't a major consideration at this point in time even with top of the line DPS.

^
Marvel

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:38 am

Marvel wrote:
Nadir wrote:If you're after TTL in ToC raids, why on earth are you going for anything but 30 stamina gems (and the mandatory 15 STA red)? The two most stressful tank encounters, Heroic Beasts and Heroic Anub'arak, vastly favor higher health over avoidance or minimal armor gains. Threat isn't a major consideration at this point in time even with top of the line DPS.

^

prismatic works well in the helm as the helm is 1 red socket and a 12 stamina bonus.
what is there to not understand? i lose 6.27 stamina in exchange gaining

12.65 Strength (6.325 BV, 25.3 AP (27.83 with unleashed rage))
11 Agility (22 armor, ~.12%-.15% Dodge (depending on dr), .21% Crit)
11 Int (165 Mana, .075% spellcrit, 13.75 mp5)
11 Spirit (bleh)

pretty easy decision imo. HP is good for burst and bleeds, AD. Anub, icehowl stun. The only defensive things you have working for you is AD, Stamina, Armor, Miss. Block/dodge/parry are all inactive at this point. BV takes a back seat once again in progression. I have not died while MTing on beasts northrend or anub'arak. The add tanks seem to be dying the most. Our best attempt so far on anub hard mode 25 is 37%.
Ratanna

Postby Treck » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:44 am

As you can see on my "Wishlist" Chardev i made in my previous post you can see i do agree on this.
Put it this way.
One (red/yellow) socket gives you the socketbonus of 6sta.
What would you choose? youll get 15sta in any case, but 10agi/def +6sta or 15sta?
So basicly, would you choose 10agi/def or 9sta?
In this case, id choose stamina. Thus going for a 12sta bonus, changing 2 gems, would be the same, 6sta/gem, thus pure 30sta imo.
But if the socketbonus was 9sta? then it would be eather 10agi/def +9sta or 15sta, thats 10agi/def vs 6sta. In this case, i would favor agi or def tbh, but its close.
And if the bonus is 12sta, putting a 30sta there would imo just be wrong, even if you would get 3more sta, 10agi/def would surely be superior.
Treck

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 8:47 am

http://img524.imageshack.us/img524/1637/sshp.jpg

picture of me determined not to die with my assigned healer dead and at 11%. sealed the deal lol @ 60k hp.
Ratanna

Postby theckhd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:41 am

Ratanna wrote:prismatic works well in the helm as the helm is 1 red socket and a 12 stamina bonus.
what is there to not understand? i lose 6.27 stamina in exchange gaining

12.65 Strength (6.325 BV, 25.3 AP (27.83 with unleashed rage))
11 Agility (22 armor, ~.12%-.15% Dodge (depending on dr), .21% Crit)
11 Int (165 Mana, .075% spellcrit, 13.75 mp5)
11 Spirit (bleh)

With 30 STA gem:
37 STA (37.78, but stat functions are floored)

With 10 AGI / 15 STA gem:
34 STA (34.0006, floored)
11 AGI (24.7 armor, plus about 9 dodge and crit rating)

With Nightmare Tear:
27 STA (27.7, again floored)
12 STR (12.65, floored)
11 AGI (24.7 armor, plus about 9 dodge and crit rating)
11 INT/SPI (bleh)

So you're giving up 10 stamina to gain 25 armor (roughly 2 STA worth of EH) and a little dodge and STR by choosing Nightmare Tear over a blue gem. You're giving up 7 Stamina to gain 12 STR and useless INT/SPI by choosing the Nightmare Tear over the purple gem. In neither case is the Nightmare Tear a TTL increase - it's consistently a decrease.

Ratanna wrote:pretty easy decision imo. HP is good for burst and bleeds, AD. Anub, icehowl stun. The only defensive things you have working for you is AD, Stamina, Armor, Miss. Block/dodge/parry are all inactive at this point. BV takes a back seat once again in progression.

All of which are argments for going with stamina over avoidance, inconsistent with your choice of the tear. Who are you, and what have you done with the old, "STAMINA STAMINA STAMINA" Ratanna?

Also:
Ratanna wrote:btw there is no parry hasting against bosses/mobs

er... what?
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:57 am

i could be wrong, but i recall a blizzard blue post saying they turned it off
Ratanna

Postby majiben » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:58 am

For particular bosses, Kologarn and patchwerk from what I recall correctly.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby theckhd » Tue Sep 08, 2009 9:59 am

Ratanna wrote:i could be wrong, but i recall a blizzard blue post saying they took it out.

They have disabled it on some bosses, but not all of them. They most certainly never took it out.

For example, all of the bosses in the Northrend Beasts encounter have parry-haste enabled, but Jaraxxus does not. Neither do Patchwerk or Ignis.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:00 am

Majiben wrote:For particular bosses, Kologarn and patchwerk from what I recall correctly.

yeah you're right

found the post

http://forums.worldofwarcraft.com/threa ... 3275&sid=1

"The reduced swing time for a creature's next swing after it successfully parries an attack still exists in the game, and the vast majority of all creatures in WoW use the mechanic. Note that we have the ability to flag specific creatures to not be affected by this mechanic if we so choose for balance purposes. An example of such a creature would be Patchwerk, a very high melee damage dealing raid boss. "

edited. thanks for the correction
Ratanna

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 10:15 am

i'm too lazy to go through my parses. can you tell me if twins/anub and anub adds parry haste?
Ratanna

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:03 pm

woot 4pc
Ratanna

Postby steadypal » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:28 pm

DANG GRATS, u get lucky with korolan?
steadypal

Postby Ratanna » Tue Sep 08, 2009 11:36 pm

yup. wish he droppe dthe gloves instead of the legs though