Remove Advertisements

3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 3.2 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Robbert » Tue Aug 11, 2009 1:57 am

Robbert wrote:The Engineering cloak tinker 'Flexweave Underlay' was buffed in 3.2 to provide 23 Agi in addition to the slow fall on use effect. Ignoring the on use effect, this buff makes this enchant best overall tanking enchant to cloak.

Ok...so I finally applied this enchant to one of my cloaks (for my ret set in this case), and while the text for the tinker does say it increases Agi by 23, but the tinker text on the cloak says it increases crit rating by 43. If the text as shown on the cloak is correct, then this tinker is no longer at all viable for tanking.
Robbert

Postby Arnax » Tue Aug 11, 2009 2:11 am

I believe Titanium Plating now gives +81 BV instead of the old +40 BV on your shield.
Arnax

Postby Digren » Tue Aug 11, 2009 11:52 am

Robbert wrote:
Robbert wrote:The Engineering cloak tinker 'Flexweave Underlay' was buffed in 3.2 to provide 23 Agi in addition to the slow fall on use effect. Ignoring the on use effect, this buff makes this enchant best overall tanking enchant to cloak.

Ok...so I finally applied this enchant to one of my cloaks (for my ret set in this case), and while the text for the tinker does say it increases Agi by 23, but the tinker text on the cloak says it increases crit rating by 43. If the text as shown on the cloak is correct, then this tinker is no longer at all viable for tanking.

When I put this on my cloak a few days ago, I verified that it added 23 agility. It was not in the text, but toggling the cloak in and out of the slot changed my stat accordingly.

I do not know if they changed it in today's patch. I can check tonight.

Arnax wrote:I believe Titanium Plating now gives +81 BV instead of the old +40 BV on your shield.

Corrected. Thank you.
Digren

Postby Piety » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:48 am

Is blood draining still of questionable effect with the changes to AD?
Piety

Postby Digren » Wed Aug 12, 2009 12:13 pm

Piety wrote:Is blood draining still of questionable effect with the changes to AD?

Blood Draining was never of questionable effect. That myth was debunked months ago.

Now even that myth can't be used as an excuse. Blood Draining is good, and in my opinion the best pseudo effective health option for the slot. I use it.
Digren

Postby Veilan » Wed Aug 12, 2009 4:38 pm

For completeness' sake, you seem to have omitted the Nightmare Tear.

Even with the useless +10 spirit and negligible +10 intellect, at +10 agility, +10 strength and +10 stamina it can be a valid choice, at more useful item credit value and due to its prismatic flexibility. It's also rather cheap.

Might be worth a mention, just to round it out.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Digren » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:51 am

Veilan wrote:For completeness' sake, you seem to have omitted the Nightmare Tear.

Even with the useless +10 spirit and negligible +10 intellect, at +10 agility, +10 strength and +10 stamina it can be a valid choice, at more useful item credit value and due to its prismatic flexibility. It's also rather cheap.

Might be worth a mention, just to round it out.

I don't want to confuse people who aren't nuanced in gear selection. Only blocking sets need to gem for strength, ever, and in that case a +10str/+15sta gem is likely a better choice anyway. In regular gear sets a +10agi/+15sta gem would be preferred.

In a theoretical world where blocking was important for effective health, it could have uses. But I can just imagine new tanks posting the gear advice forum with gem slots full of those and complaining about how they have trouble reaching and maintaining the defense minimum and how their strength and block gear doesn't seem to keep them alive long enough.
Digren

Postby Wrathy » Thu Aug 13, 2009 11:32 am

For those interested, I have a brief opinionated rant on gemming theory for 3.2 - Gems, Sockets and YOU!
Dakiros wrote:Hear that sound? Its Wrathy breaking Wowhead and Wordpress while he quickly comes up with the Rival set.

Avenging Wrathy - A Protection Paladin Blog
Wrathy's Guide to Gear Sets

Wrathy
Maintankadonor

Postby Veilan » Thu Aug 13, 2009 12:53 pm

Digren wrote:But I can just imagine new tanks posting the gear advice forum with gem slots full of those

Heh, considering they're unique equipped, your imagination trumps mine here 8).

While I agree that usually other choices are better, the beauty of the prismatic stone is that it can provide you a slot bonus, and ease your meta activation, if that is a problem. Not that anyone should need that, but the option is out there and might deserve a place in a thorough guide. Possible confusion can be countered by accessible education in the gem's paragraph or description.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Tobyboat1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:23 am

Account Deactivated.
Last edited by Tobyboat1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 am, edited 2 times in total.
Tobyboat1

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:43 am

The parry you get from parry rating still diminishes in effect faster than dodge does. They only changed the starting point.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Tobyboat1 » Sat Aug 15, 2009 5:52 am

Account Deactivated.
Last edited by Tobyboat1 on Sat Dec 12, 2009 6:05 am, edited 1 time in total.
Tobyboat1

Postby Digren » Sat Aug 15, 2009 8:18 am

Tobyboat1 wrote:Ah I seeeee, thank you :).

I'm at 24% D, 21% P, 13% B with 35k health unbuffed, should I bother resocketing or just wait for new gear ^^? For instance my helmet has nothing but a bit of defense and 70 parry lol. Blah I dunno..

Oh and I know that my block is low, but when I'm always over 102.4% in raids anyway.. I want the lowest amount of hits that I 'avoid' to be blocks.. aslong as I can stay capped against full hits. Blocking makes me cry in my pants :(

Please ask this in the Gear Questions and Advice forum. Reserve posts in this thread for comments about the guide such as your first post.

thanks
Digren

Postby Pancakes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:42 pm

Still a little confused about taking 20 def to shield over 81 BV (105 with redoubt).. just from a theoretical point of view.

20 def rating / 4.918 = 4.067 def skill, *0.04, * 3 = 0.488% avoidance (miss/dodge/parry). + 0.163% block rating.

now with dr nailing that into the ground, that drops to 0.3ish. (ill using 0.25% avo after dr based on BiS Coliseum loots for the rest of my napkin maths)

So if we get hit 410 times that avoidance should stop 1 hit (given 102.4%), if we use BV (taking an 'uncrushability' of about 100% from bis list (so 2.4% chance to take a full hit)) we would have blocked 400 hits for 32400 dmg total. (if you were at .3% avo from 20 def it would be 27000)

so by that random terribad maths 20 def = 105 BV if you are getting hit for 42000 dmg after armour, which i think is IC hardmode with 5 ppl dead territory or super thorim mega death (highest Vezax hit i could find in logs was for 27000ish on our geared out the ass feral druid with many armors)

ok i may have lied when i said i was confused at the start, and i know there are holes in this hypothetical with spell dmg hits and such, just comes down to predicatable 105 dmg reduction vs 0.25 avoidance that could save you on every one of the 410 hits or not at all. Just looking for some feedback to my 3am theory.
Last edited by Pancakes on Mon Aug 17, 2009 11:19 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pancakes - Unholy - Thaurissan - US
Pancakes

Postby Pancakes » Mon Aug 17, 2009 10:52 pm

i realise now that i failed to consider that the 100% 'uncrushability' included proper avoidance and not just block%, so i guess a hypothetical based on a worst case scenario of only blocking stuff is correct, but with only 40% ish chance to block its only mitigating 16800 dmg over 400 hits which isnt quite as good if you're doing hardmodes.

also i may have misread my 'uncrushability'

PS: i know uncrushability doesnt really exist anymore, its just the word that comes to mind when trying to calculate around 102.4%

editted both posts for BV after redoubt. going to bed now
Pancakes - Unholy - Thaurissan - US
Pancakes

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice