Remove Advertisements

3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 3.2 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Digren » Wed Aug 05, 2009 8:12 am

theothersteve7 wrote:I'm curious about the viability of Blade Ward with the new Parry changes.

There's a thread about it in the advanced forum. It's better, but AFAIK still not as good as Exceptional Agility for avoidance. The math isn't in yet, but it might also still be worse than Mongoose too.

I've gone Blood Draining as it's a ghetto EH enchant, the best I can get.
Digren

Postby Zeruvar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 9:50 am

from what i understood, after 1180 rating, did you mean try to balance out parry and dodge? or go for the 1.88 ratio?
Zeruvar

Postby Digren » Wed Aug 05, 2009 10:24 am

Zeruvar wrote:from what i understood, after 1180 rating, did you mean try to balance out parry and dodge? or go for the 1.88 ratio?

The 1.88 ratio of (dodge-10%)/(parry-10%) is required. I'd like to make sure that's clear, but I don't see how it's unclear given the current wording.

3. At higher gear levels (defense + dodge + parry > 1150 rating), gear so that your post-DR dodge and parry percentages come out as close to a 1.88:1 ratio as possible, using the formula:

(character_sheet_dodge_% - 10) / (character_sheet_parry_% - 10) = 1.88

Can you please explain how you interpreted this to not imply the 1.88 ratio?
Digren

Postby Zeruvar » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:25 am

i forgot to mention that from the patch notes it seemed like they were trying to balance out Parry rating and dodge. when i read your post saying to get 1.88 that confused me for a sec.

Oh that and just having woke up didnt help
Zeruvar

Postby Robbert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:42 am

The Engineering cloak tinker 'Flexweave Underlay' was buffed in 3.2 to provide 23 Agi in addition to the slow fall on use effect. Ignoring the on use effect, this buff makes this enchant best overall tanking enchant to cloak.
Robbert

Postby Braundo » Wed Aug 05, 2009 11:50 am

Robbert wrote:The Engineering cloak tinker 'Flexweave Underlay' was buffed in 3.2 to provide 23 Agi in addition to the slow fall on use effect. Ignoring the on use effect, this buff makes this enchant best overall tanking enchant to cloak.

...So, it's 1 more agility over the standard enchant?

Lame.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Digren » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:03 pm

Note that I haven't touched the enchant post at all yet for 3.2. Updating it for engie stuff is on my list, but wowhead has been down so it's probably going to wait until tomorrow.

Robbert wrote:The Engineering cloak tinker 'Flexweave Underlay' was buffed in 3.2 to provide 23 Agi in addition to the slow fall on use effect. Ignoring the on use effect, this buff makes this enchant best overall tanking enchant to cloak.

It's definitely the best avoidance enchant. As to best, many would argue that the armor enchant still fills that spot given that it's the best EH option.

Braundo wrote:...So, it's 1 more agility over the standard enchant?

Lame.

The extra agility is not supposed to be a benefit of engineering. The slow-fall tinker is supposed to be no worse than not having engineering. I'm thrilled with the change.
Digren

Postby Robbert » Wed Aug 05, 2009 12:52 pm

Digren wrote:As to best, many would argue that the armor enchant still fills that spot given that it's the best EH option.

Being fairly EH focused myself, I've been using the armor enchant...but I've done so knowing I'm passing up on the better overall enchant for the one that's the better EH enchant. Given back and gloves (for us engineers at least) are the only two slots with a competitive armor enchant, I've been happy to use armor on my cloak. I am looking to pick up a more avoidance focused cloak for added flexibility in gearing that I'll use the improved engy tinker on tho!
Robbert

Postby Digren » Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:24 pm

The enchant guide has been updated. I punted on the weapon enchant discussion by just leaving it as-is. This pretty much matches the preliminary analysis, at least with regard to Blade Ward and its relative quality compared to Exceptional Agility. Whether Mongoose is still better than Blade Ward hasn't been determined.

If anything major has changed, it's that Blood Draining now has NO down side whatsoever to use as an excuse. It still doesn't heal for much in the long run - and it is very difficult to compare to more hit rating or more agility - but it's leaning towards getting a best-of nomination.
Digren

Postby Barathorn » Thu Aug 06, 2009 2:06 am

Thanks for all your hard work Digren, I will be incorperating your new list into the consolidated sticky when I get home tonight.

Thanks again.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 12:22 pm

Excellent list, just one question - is there a limit on how many Solid Majestic Zircon (or any other crafted epic gem) we can put in our gear?
The Element of Forum Hyperbole
---
Flüttershy - Draenei Protection Paladin, Aerie Peak
Klaudandus - BE Protection Paladin, Feathermoon (Semi-retired)
Klaudandus

Postby Digren » Thu Aug 06, 2009 1:53 pm

Klaudandus wrote:Excellent list, just one question - is there a limit on how many Solid Majestic Zircon (or any other crafted epic gem) we can put in our gear?

Nope. Have at it.
Digren

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 3:44 pm

Digren wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:Excellent list, just one question - is there a limit on how many Solid Majestic Zircon (or any other crafted epic gem) we can put in our gear?

Nope. Have at it.

So, we're basically only limited by budget concerns?
---
Klaudandus

Postby Braundo » Thu Aug 06, 2009 4:28 pm

Klaudandus wrote:So, we're basically only limited by budget concerns?

Given how cheap the mats are for the epic gem transmutes (1 blue gem + 1 eternal for all except the Eye of Zul), after a few weeks I imagine that the epic gems will not cost all that much more than the blue-quality gems.
Braundo
Maintankadonor

Postby Klaudandus » Thu Aug 06, 2009 8:52 pm

Braundo wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:So, we're basically only limited by budget concerns?

Given how cheap the mats are for the epic gem transmutes (1 blue gem + 1 eternal for all except the Eye of Zul), after a few weeks I imagine that the epic gems will not cost all that much more than the blue-quality gems.

I can actually cut 'em - need to get the recipes for the regal purple one and the enduring green one
---
Klaudandus

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice