3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby theckhd » Fri Jan 15, 2010 2:04 pm

Digren wrote:Assume the 6% and 8% should be multiplied and not added (you know better than me on this), the correct result would be 1.0074. If they should be added, then multiplied with the kings bonus, the correct result would be the 1.0032 you just calculated.


No, they're definitely multiplicative. I should have noticed that when Meloree posted 1.14 in the first place - that's the problem with trying to make quick posts between doing actual work, I suppose.

Then again, I should also have known better than rounding something to 3 significant figures and then giving a result with 4 significant figures of accuracy in the first place.


So the proper conversion should be
275/10/1.1/1.06/1.08 = 21.8379 (health->stam)

which gives the 1.0074 ratio.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby TheBaldGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 3:46 pm

theckhd wrote:It's the ratio of the loss of avoidance over the gain in stamina. It's probably best explained by example.

Digren wrote:0.9333 : Replace [Enduring Eye of Zul] with [Solid Majestic Zircon] in a yellow socket, if the socket bonus is 4 points of avoidance rating


Pretend you have an item with a yellow socket that has a 4 dodge rating bonus. Here's what you have in each scenario:

Zircon: 30 stam, 0 avoidance
Eye of Zul, + 4 dodge from socket bonus: 15 Stam, 14 avoidance.

Diff: -15 stam, +14 avoidance

Ratio: 14/15 = 0.9333

In other words, to go from the gem that matches the socket bonus to a blue 30 stam gem, you lose 14 avoidance and gain 15 stamina, for a ratio of 14/15=0.933. The higher this ratio, the more "costly" it is to switch to stamina - you lose more avoidance per point of stamina gained.



Perfect, that is precisely what I needed. I thought I'd found it on Page 5 but my numbers didn't make sense (and neither did the formula I derived), so I asked. I'm kind of in between levels 3 and 4 at the moment, toes dipped in both pools if you will, so I'm taking a deeper look at improving what I've got and which upgrades make the most sense for me now that I'm back in a raiding guild that is actually raiding. It might help to put the formula in the main post when the opportunity is there.
TheBaldGuy
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby TheBaldGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:13 pm

Meloree wrote:
TheBaldGuy wrote:Obviously I'm missing it somewhere but how do I calculate that ratio to determine when I should swap an enhancement to stam?


On the offchance that Theck answered a different question than I think you meant to ask: In some ways, choosing the ratio you want to aim for is personal choice. Progression tanks on this board generally shoot for somewhere in the range of 1.4 to 2.0 as their ratio of choice. The ratios we calculated (okay, mostly Theck, I'm not trying to steal credit) primarily codified the optimal order for replacement.

A ratio of 1.4 or so is typically using optimal EH enchants, but picking up all +9 stamina bonuses. A ratio of 2.0 or so, my personal ballpark, will skip 9stam bonuses. There actually isn't a hell of a lot of difference between the two numbers. Things get more interesting as you dip down into the 1.1 ratio area (avoidance junkies), because quite a lot of enchants and gem choices are clustered around that tradeoff value.


Hmmm that is a different question than what I asked but it is worth exploring, or at least verifying I understand it. Sometimes (often) I overthink things, so the post may explain it and I may not see it for the pixels.

If I understand you correctly, if you favor avoidance you want to enhance for a lower number, and if you favor EH a higher number? I'll use one of the pieces I am looking at changing as an example. I have boots with a yellow slot for +6 stam. Currently I have 10str/10def because at the time I needed the defense and well just wanted the strength. ;)

So, if I replaced that with say a 10def/15 this ratio works out to .9 (or does defense have a different calculation? I'll assume no for discussion). Does that mean if I prefer avoidance I am better off with the hybrid, but better off w/the 30stam if I prefer stamina? Assume I maintain uncrittable in either case.

Also, the way it reads to me, the further toward end-game I am, the more I *should* lean toward stam in general. Did I get that right? And the "ratio of choice" means that you prefer enhancements that provide a ratio in that neighborhood, correct? Further, if say I decided to go for a 1.4 ratio, I would start with my lowest ratio enhancements and start replacing them with ones close to 1.4. If I decided to go the other direction and go for 1.1 I'd do the opposite by replacing those with a high number with those close to 1.1, correct?

Just making sure I'm not overthinking it. :D
Image
Image
Image
Image
TheBaldGuy
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Digren » Fri Jan 15, 2010 4:35 pm

TheBaldGuy wrote:I'll use one of the pieces I am looking at changing as an example. I have boots with a yellow slot for +6 stam. Currently I have 10str/10def because at the time I needed the defense and well just wanted the strength. ;)

So, if I replaced that with say a 10def/15 this ratio works out to .9 (or does defense have a different calculation? I'll assume no for discussion). Does that mean if I prefer avoidance I am better off with the hybrid, but better off w/the 30stam if I prefer stamina? Assume I maintain uncrittable in either case.


If your socket currently contains a 10str/10def gem, and you replace that with a 10def/15sta gem, you have not done anything related to the stamina conversion table.

1. You are still getting the socket bonus, so it is irrelevant.
2. You are replacing strength, a valueless stat (more or less)* with stamina.

Thus, were a ratio calculated, it would be closer to 0.

* Strength provides some benefit from block, but that's generally not considered worthy of consideration.

Also, the way it reads to me, the further toward end-game I am, the more I *should* lean toward stam in general. Did I get that right?

Yup, exactly.

And the "ratio of choice" means that you prefer enhancements that provide a ratio in that neighborhood, correct?


It means you want to convert everything with a lower ratio to stamina. That means you don't need the defense or avoidance from the sockets and enchants with a lower ratio, and would rather have stamina.

Further, if say I decided to go for a 1.4 ratio, I would start with my lowest ratio enhancements and start replacing them with ones close to 1.4. If I decided to go the other direction and go for 1.1 I'd do the opposite by replacing those with a high number with those close to 1.1, correct?

This is in the original post:
Digren wrote:
    Image To use the above tables,
    • Look through your gear, find the place where you can make a swap with the smallest number.
    • Verify that you'll stay above the defense minimum, then make the change.
    • Keep going until you reach the defense minimum, a health you're happy with, or an avoidance percentage you wish to stay above.
    • Revisit the table each time you get a new piece of gear, to see if your new stats let you make more changes.


I know it's hard to read; formatting is shit since the [list] tag isn't properly causing an indent.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby TheBaldGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 7:21 pm

Digren wrote:
TheBaldGuy wrote:I'll use one of the pieces I am looking at changing as an example. I have boots with a yellow slot for +6 stam. Currently I have 10str/10def because at the time I needed the defense and well just wanted the strength. ;)

So, if I replaced that with say a 10def/15 this ratio works out to .9 (or does defense have a different calculation? I'll assume no for discussion). Does that mean if I prefer avoidance I am better off with the hybrid, but better off w/the 30stam if I prefer stamina? Assume I maintain uncrittable in either case.


If your socket currently contains a 10str/10def gem, and you replace that with a 10def/15sta gem, you have not done anything related to the stamina conversion table.

1. You are still getting the socket bonus, so it is irrelevant.
2. You are replacing strength, a valueless stat (more or less)* with stamina.

Thus, were a ratio calculated, it would be closer to 0.

* Strength provides some benefit from block, but that's generally not considered worthy of consideration.


I know it's hard to read; formatting is shit since the [list] tag isn't properly causing an indent.


Ah so I need to reframe the test then. I should instead be determining if I am better off with a stam as replacement or with the hybrid, by assuming for calculation that I had the hybrid in and calculating it that way. Looking at it that way, its -9 stam for +10 defense for the .9 ratio, meaning the +30 stam is a better enhancement (assuming I stay above 540). Did I get it right that time?
Image
Image
Image
Image
TheBaldGuy
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Meloree » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:10 pm

TheBaldGuy wrote:Ah so I need to reframe the test then. I should instead be determining if I am better off with a stam as replacement or with the hybrid, by assuming for calculation that I had the hybrid in and calculating it that way. Looking at it that way, its -9 stam for +10 defense for the .9 ratio, meaning the +30 stam is a better enhancement (assuming I stay above 540). Did I get it right that time?


Unless we've gone and redefined something while I wasn't paying attention, the ratios have typically been given in terms of "stamina value". In other words, stamina is always the denominator. Your ratio there should be 10/9 for switching from 10def/15stam gem with a 6 stam socket bonus to a 30 stam gem, or 1.11.
Meloree
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 1420
Joined: Wed Mar 12, 2008 10:15 am

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby TheBaldGuy » Fri Jan 15, 2010 8:12 pm

Meloree wrote:
TheBaldGuy wrote:Ah so I need to reframe the test then. I should instead be determining if I am better off with a stam as replacement or with the hybrid, by assuming for calculation that I had the hybrid in and calculating it that way. Looking at it that way, its -9 stam for +10 defense for the .9 ratio, meaning the +30 stam is a better enhancement (assuming I stay above 540). Did I get it right that time?


Unless we've gone and redefined something while I wasn't paying attention, the ratios have typically been given in terms of "stamina value". In other words, stamina is always the denominator. Your ratio there should be 10/9 for switching from 10def/15stam gem with a 6 stam socket bonus to a 30 stam gem, or 1.11.



Ah, thanks.
Image
Image
Image
Image
TheBaldGuy
 
Posts: 67
Joined: Sun Oct 19, 2008 1:46 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Anubisknight » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:24 am

I'm not sure if this has been asked before. If it has been, I apologise.

1.1111 : Replace [Enchant Shield - Defense] with [Enchant Shield - Major Stamina]
Image A level four tank may choose to gem and enchant for stamina or armor at ratios up to 2.0, as ratios above that yield little benefit.




Shield Enchant


Following the reasoning in the first quote, shouldn't the stamina enchant be included in the Shield Enchants' list?
Image
Anubisknight
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:02 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Digren » Sat Jan 16, 2010 10:35 am

Anubisknight wrote:I'm not sure if this has been asked before. If it has been, I apologise.

1.1111 : Replace [Enchant Shield - Defense] with [Enchant Shield - Major Stamina]
Image A level four tank may choose to gem and enchant for stamina or armor at ratios up to 2.0, as ratios above that yield little benefit.




Shield Enchant


Following the reasoning in the first quote, shouldn't the stamina enchant be included in the Shield Enchants' list?

I haven't finished updating the enchant list to correspond with my 3.3 recommendations. I was working on it when the site broke, and I'm not touching anything until indentation is fixed.

It's on my list. =p Basically if the little images are missing from an enchant slot, it's still giving my 3.2 recommendation.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Anubisknight » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:32 am

Gotcha! Thanks :)
Image
Anubisknight
 
Posts: 364
Joined: Tue Apr 17, 2007 8:02 am
Location: Houston, TX

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby krick » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:49 pm

Digren wrote:
1.0092 : Replace [Enchant Chest - Greater Defense] with [Enchant Chest - Superior Health]


I think you mean [Enchant Chest - Super Health]
krick
 
Posts: 15
Joined: Sat Jan 26, 2008 10:41 am

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Digren » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:17 am

krick wrote:
Digren wrote:
1.0092 : Replace [Enchant Chest - Greater Defense] with [Enchant Chest - Superior Health]


I think you mean [Enchant Chest - Super Health]

Yeah, it's mentioned on the previous page. Thanks. I'll fix it when site formatting is no longer broken.
User avatar
Digren
Moderator
 
Posts: 2139
Joined: Sat Jul 26, 2008 2:41 pm

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby theckhd » Tue Jan 19, 2010 6:07 pm

Just noticed i used 0.84 in all of the agility calculations where I should have used 0.83. Normally it wouldn't make a difference, but we've been calculating these things out to four decimal places, so...

I'll go back and fix them when I get some time, probably tomorrow morning.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby Aedh » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:57 pm

theckhd wrote:Just noticed i used 0.84 in all of the agility calculations where I should have used 0.83. Normally it wouldn't make a difference, but we've been calculating these things out to four decimal places, so...

I'll go back and fix them when I get some time, probably tomorrow morning.


now is that 0.83 or 0.8300?
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:Whatever happened to Quebec seceding? If they do that, can we invade? America could really use the revenue from exporting syrup and hockey players.
Aedh
 
Posts: 495
Joined: Thu Jan 29, 2009 8:57 am
Location: Tacoma, WA

Re: 3.3 Gem and Enchant Guide

Postby theckhd » Wed Jan 20, 2010 6:34 am

Aedh wrote:
theckhd wrote:Just noticed i used 0.84 in all of the agility calculations where I should have used 0.83. Normally it wouldn't make a difference, but we've been calculating these things out to four decimal places, so...

I'll go back and fix them when I get some time, probably tomorrow morning.


now is that 0.83 or 0.8300?

It's technically 45.25018692/(59.88023952/1.1)=0.831245934.

(dodge rating for 1% dodge) / (agil for 1% dodge)



Also I've updated the numbers in my post, they should all be correct now (using all 9 decimal places of accuracy in the conversion, even).
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 6.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
User avatar
theckhd
Moderator
 
Posts: 8003
Joined: Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:06 pm
Location: Harrisburg, PA

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Klaudandus, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest

Who is online

In total there are 4 users online :: 3 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot], Klaudandus, Yahoo [Bot] and 1 guest