Remove Advertisements

Overcapped expertise, eek!

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Overcapped expertise, eek!

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 9:56 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Brutalicus

So... as you can see I have rather horrendously overcapped expertise. I will NOT be replacing my Broken Promise until Ulduar (it is simply too cool looking in my opinion, and I like slow weapons) and yet I need to dump around 10 expertise skill. Besides the http://www.wowhead.com/?item=40107 (Sand-Worn Band) there don't seem to be many items out there for me to dump my expertise rating.

So I pose this question to my fellow tankadins: how much of a waste is overcapped expertise? I feel as though I should be getting more dodge/parry out of the stat points that are spent on the wasted expertise. I'm not worrying about it too much but I feel like a goober with too much of a stat like expertise (560 defense I don't have a problem with, lol).
Brutalicus, Garona (Horde) Tankadin
Brutalicus

Re: Overcapped expertise, eek!

Postby fudomyou » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:21 am

I see you at 19 expertise on armory, which means that with the SoV glyph, you're at 29, only 3 above the cap. Losing the Signet of the Accord in favor of Gatekeeper, Sand-Worn Band, or even Titanium Earthguard Ring would shed that extra expertise pretty easily and round out your stats a bit better.
fudomyou
Maintankadonor

Postby Makaijin » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:25 am

Looking at your armoury, you have 19 expertise. Assuming you are using the SoV glyph, that makes it 29 expertise. The cap to eliminate dodges is at 25 expertise, while for parry it is much higher than that. Even with over 25 expertise you are still way off from capping parry. So after 25 you still benefit from more, but to a much lesser degree.

But like previously mentioned, expertise gives the least benefit for a tankadin. You only have 3 pieces of gear that actually have expertise ratings on them, which is the ring, T7.5 helm and the sword. As you have already mentioned, the Sand-worm is a good piece to get rid of the expertise, Last Laugh as well if it drops for you. And depending on your gearing strategy you could replace the helm as well.

Personally, if a given piece that has expertise is still an upgrade I wouldn't brush it off as an option, as an upgrade is still an upgrade. Expertise is nice to have, but I wouldn't purposely try to stack it or try to to avoid it.
Makaijin

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:19 am

Thanks for the replies guys, you've helped me out a lot.
Brutalicus

Postby majiben » Wed Mar 18, 2009 12:16 pm

Additonally that's only the expetise soft cap. You'll still gain a diminished value for expertise over 26.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 3:23 pm

I see, I guess I never did much research about expertise, but I was under the impression that the cap was a straight 5% (20 skill). The reason I made this thread was because I thought the rating points were 100% wasted past 20, so I'm glad you've cleared that up for me, Majiben.

p.s. Fallout 3 ftw
Brutalicus

Postby Brutalicus » Wed Mar 18, 2009 10:53 pm

passed on both the Gatekeeper and Last Laugh tonight, lol
Brutalicus

Postby Amaranthea » Wed Mar 18, 2009 11:52 pm

Brutalicus wrote:passed on both the Gatekeeper and Last Laugh tonight, lol

You really should pick up a Gatekeeper next time it drops. It's an extremely good ring (against physical damage, of course).
Amaranthea

Postby Brutalicus » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:48 am

Yeah, I'll have to grab all I can next Naxx, the reason I passed the stuff was because we're gearing up another prot warrior and he needed both slots bad. And then there's because Last Laugh looks so bad I dunno... It's like I'd be wielding Internet Explorer as a weapon. That unattractive.
Brutalicus

Postby Hammatank » Thu Mar 19, 2009 10:58 am

If you think thats bad, what do you think about t7.5 shoulders then? Shish-ka-bob skewers ftl!
Hamm
Dwarf Paladin
Moonrunner server
Hammatank

Postby Jazmine » Thu Mar 19, 2009 12:53 pm

You capped the chance of the mob dodging your atks. You still have parry to worry about, which is at a much higher cap.
Jazmine

Postby Treck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:27 am

What more than autoattack can be parried?...
Treck

Postby majiben » Fri Mar 20, 2009 8:34 am

HotR's deflect rate is tied to expertise as well. Expertise is a poor but not useless stat for prot paladins.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Treck » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:27 am

You mean that for the jumps? or the innitial attack aswell?
Ive been constantly checking our WWS after every reset, and the ONLY thing i see getting parried is autoattack. In the gear im tanking bosses in ive got 29 expertise, so dodge is pushed off, but ive never seen a parry on more than autoattack.
So id guess going for "soft" cap would still increase your tps by very low ammount, but after that its a very poor stat if you have anything to choose from.
Basicly only got maly25legs+vital protection+BoV ring, thats 66+36+21 rating. (then SoV glyph+talents=16expertise)
What attacks can be dodged then? My guess would be SoR and HotR, however never go anywhere with that low expertise.
Ive seen pallys going with the expertise trinket from malygos :S
Treck

Postby Valerius » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:36 am

If you ever see a "Deflect" that is in essence a ranged parry. Since Hammer of the Righteous has a ranged component, it can be deflected aka, parried.
Valerius

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice