Remove Advertisements

wait...what? Stamina question

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

wait...what? Stamina question

Postby Aeran » Mon Mar 09, 2009 6:04 am

Dear Ms. Lonely Hearts,

so traditionally I'd been putting the enduring forest emerald into all blue and yellow sockets, and the stalwart monarach topaz into the red or prismatic (in the belt). my HP wasn't anything near even Paladins who were similarly geared to me, so I decided to make a change.

yesterday I placed Solid Sky Sapphires in the Blues, Thick Autumn's Glows in the yellows, but had to settle on a Champion's Monarch since nobody was available to cut my Stalwart. I gained 100 HP...

I'll give that to you on a separate line again for emphasis

I gained 100 HP...

I was expecting to be at least 28k, but I'm still sitting at jerk of the world 25,8something, but NOW I've lost avoidance by not gemming in every slot for defense, I am just going to switch back.

I'm uncrittable, which is of course mandatory, but I'm also unhittable, which may be just OCD but I love

oh there is no question so I'll edit one here: what is everyone else doing that I'm not to gain all this HP?

sign me,

Confused in Connecticut
Aeran

Postby zelah » Mon Mar 09, 2009 7:52 am

well for starters, you're missing essence of gossamer, that'll put you to 27k, then the reason why you have lower hp is because all your gear is tier 7. you'll be getting a few thousand more with all 7.5 or ilvl 213 or whatnot. and from my personal take, i use 18 stam on gloves instead of parry and threat. the 2% threat is worthless in wotlk, and taking 10 parry over 200 hp is questionable.

lastly, regrettably, you are engineering, which means you are missing out of 48 stam from blacksmithing, or more from jewelcrafting
zelah

Postby Aeran » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:02 am

that trinket is really that important, huh? I would cut so much off either my block or my defense rating after switching to it, I had my sonic booster equipped for the longest time before I got the Seal of Pantheon, that was 81 stamina

I'm seriously considering getting blacksmithing instead of engineering or maybe instead of mining now that my Deathknight is in Northrend and can max out his mining, he's already a JC so I don't want two of those
Aeran

Postby MrDuck » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 am

25man gear does wonders on that. I was gemming exactly the same way all the way from heroics (actually from BC ones:P) till now, and still the difference between full epic 10man gear and full 25man will make a few thousands of difference. (that said,i'm still under 30k in my normal MT gear...stam gear rolls with more, but well that doesnt really have much use outside sarth+3)
MrDuck

Postby Mozen » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:22 am

If you're worried about stamina, then a stamina trinket is the quickest fix. Whether it's the right solution to your tanking needs, is another matter. But I find that people like to see you have this uber-have-it-means-you're-a-good-tank-and-knows-your-gear Essence of Gossamer trinket.

Personally, I'm still trying to maintain block cap while pushing up my avoidance, so I'm yet to find the true value of the Essence.

From other posts on maintankadin, I gathered that stamina is not the end-all stat for Wrath tanking. Although you also don't want to gimp your stamina to get more avoidance. Just gem and enchant reasonably and you'll have enough stamina for tanking.

The three gems I use are 24 stamina, 8 defense and 12 stamina, 8 dodge and 12 stamina. Then I'll re-gem pure defense when I need it. I do have mining though, so I've got some lee-way on gemming non-stamina in a few sockets without looking too bad.
Mozen

Postby amh » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:23 am

I´d keep mining and swap out engineering for JC/BS, both of which are brilliant professions for any spec.

That being said, you can gain a bunch of hp by regemming.

http://chardev.org/?template=145237
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lieris » Mon Mar 09, 2009 8:47 am

Your gear and stats look great for a 10 man tank. I would stick to 24 stam in blues and 12 stam 8 def in yellow sockets though and changing Engineering for JC or BS if you're really concerned but that's it. The only reason why you might think your HP is low is because you're comparing yourself to tanks in full 25 man gear. Don't! :)

I wouldn't equip Essence of Gossamer, it's really overrated.
Lieris
Maintankadonor

Postby Aeran » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:22 am

hey, you're from Hellscream too! my counterpart from across the ocean. I suppose you're right, comparing myself to people in all 7.5 isn't fair to me
Aeran

Re: wait...what? Stamina question

Postby Dorvan » Mon Mar 09, 2009 11:52 am

Aeran wrote:Dear Ms. Lonely Hearts,

so traditionally I'd been putting the enduring forest emerald into all blue and yellow sockets, and the stalwart monarach topaz into the red or prismatic (in the belt). my HP wasn't anything near even Paladins who were similarly geared to me, so I decided to make a change.

yesterday I placed Solid Sky Sapphires in the Blues, Thick Autumn's Glows in the yellows, but had to settle on a Champion's Monarch since nobody was available to cut my Stalwart. I gained 100 HP...

I'll give that to you on a separate line again for emphasis

I gained 100 HP...

I was expecting to be at least 28k, but I'm still sitting at jerk of the world 25,8something, but NOW I've lost avoidance by not gemming in every slot for defense, I am just going to switch back.

I'm uncrittable, which is of course mandatory, but I'm also unhittable, which may be just OCD but I love

oh there is no question so I'll edit one here: what is everyone else doing that I'm not to gain all this HP?

sign me,

Confused in Connecticut

So you went from

Blue -- 8 def/12 stam
Yellow -- 8 def/12 stam

to

Blue -- 24 stam
Yellow -- 16 def

Look at that again....is it really surprising your health didn't go up much? (It wouldn't have gone up at all except that you have more blie than yellow sockets) If you want to focus on stam but still get all socket bonuses, go

Blue -- 24 stam
Yellow -- 8 def/12 stam
Red -- 8 dodge/12 stam
Last edited by Dorvan on Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Re: wait...what? Stamina question

Postby Venoseth » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:01 pm

Dorvan wrote:...go

Blue -- 24 stam
Yellow -- 8 def/12 stam
Red -- 8 dodge/12 stam

^ this, exactly. I've taken to using 8dodge/12stam in all red/blue sockets, and 8def/12stam in all yellow. ^^
"Pleasure in the job puts perfection in the work."

"Education is an ornament in prosperity and refuge in adversity."
Venoseth

Postby Aeran » Mon Mar 09, 2009 12:21 pm

ok so enduring forest emerald but which one is the red socket gem?

nvm regal twilight opal
Aeran

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice