QQing healer in Azjol

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

QQing healer in Azjol

Postby imwithstupid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:24 am

hi everybody!

I'm using this forum since the day I dinged lvl80 and it helped me a lot with choosing my gear.

Before yesterday I thought everything is OK with my gear (tanked a few heroics like utgarde keep, azjol, nexus, violette hold) and my pala healer - with whom I'm doing most of the heroics - was doing fine keeping me and the group alife.

Yesterday Azjol was the daily heroic on my server and I thought it would't be a problem - because I've tanked it before and we did just fine then (one trash wipe in front of the second boss --> no CC in group and I tanked the trash on the wrong spot --> so my fault there).
We entered the instance and wiped 3 times on the trash in front of the first boss *sigh* ... healer was a priest this time (with much better gear than my mate has with his pala). We finished the instance though the priest and all other members complaint about how much dmg I take. I marked the trash at all times - though I think they didn't always attacked the wright ones. I also lost aggro on the spiders at the beginning of the instance.

Could you pls look on my gear/stats and tell me what I am doing wrong/could do better?
I will already change my meta to +20def one and instead of the +111stam trinket I have the +65def one of HoL (normal) from Lokan

I already say thank you for any advice you can give me.
imwithstupid

Postby Lightstrike » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:55 am

Well, everyoen has to start somewhere, but the thing that stood out most for me was your lack of tanking libram.

It should have been your first port of call with badges tbh.

I wouldve picked the tattered castle drape over the cloak you have, and daunting handguards and burning skull pendants are nice cheap upgrades.

You would be better served gemming/enchanting for defense and avoidance over stamina at your level. Try to get stalwart monarch topaz, if theyre too expensive, pure defense would do.

Other than that just take the upgrades as they come, look up Zapachs gear list on these boards and work your way through :)
Lightstrike

Postby Balerion » Sun Mar 01, 2009 4:59 am

Aside from the meta gem you already mentioned, I cannot see anything wrong with your equipment or talent spec that would prevent you from tanking heroics.

AN is considered a little tougher than the average heroic but you've run it before with only one wipe. I reccomend the badge libram as your next badge purchase. Otherwise, keep running heroics, you're on the right track.
Balerion

Postby imwithstupid » Sun Mar 01, 2009 5:11 am

thank you for the advice, I'll get that libram asap :)
imwithstupid

Postby Mozen » Sun Mar 01, 2009 6:36 am

I don't see a significant problem with your gear.

If you've tanked other heroics alright, then the problem with AN first boss adds pack is usually a DPS problem, not a tanking problem. Look up the AN strategy threads in the five-mans forum. It's a known obstacle.

Essentially there are two Skirmishers in those three packs that do a fixate on a random player and becoming immune to taunts for the duration. (And if you turn your back to the Skirmisher then it does a back-stab that can one-shot clothies. I've seen a 18k backstab on a mage before.) With a group of good DPS, you'll never notice it. With bad DPS, they either die to the fixate or die to the poison. Choose one.

Next time also try chaining your HoJ and Holy Wrath on the Skirmishers. It will make it much smoother. (Similarly, ask everyone with a stun to help in stun-locking the Skirmisher.)
Mozen

Postby theothersteve7 » Mon Mar 02, 2009 12:59 pm

Big issue there. Your healer was a priest.

Azjol Nerub has some of the nastiest poisons in the game. Not being able to cure those is a big problem. First boss trash, second boss, and third boss trash are all serious poison issues. Get a shaman to run with you if you can, otherwise try to cleanse yourself as much as possible.

Get a hunter and have them tranquilize the Skirmishers; it fixes their lack of aggro table. Weird solution but it works.

AN is one of the harder heroics.

Your gear is fine. Get the Red Sword, badge neck, better shoulders (I recommend the ones in Gundrak), and a JC ring and you're more than ready for Nax.
Moo.
theothersteve7

Postby Howlindawg » Tue Mar 03, 2009 1:23 am

As has already been said, managing the poisons are one of the keys to a smooth run in AN, especially if wiping on the trash/waves before the first boss.

Set up a dispell self button on your actionbars and use it. If you can dispell others without disrupting your rotation then do so as it helps the healer a lot.

Tell the healer you'll dispell yourself. Let them decide whether to just heal through the rest or dispell, but it's usually easier to just heal through it.

Ask your pally mate what he does here. I'd bet that he dispells you and heals the rest.

The other thing the group need to be aware of is the need to prioritise burning down the webs. If someone, especially the healer or tank, gets webbed for a prolonged period without being released then you're in trouble.
Howlindawg

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice