Remove Advertisements

Was told my gear sucks

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Was told my gear sucks

Postby Zindra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:31 am

I was happily tanking a timed H CoS run and we wiped just before the Infinite boss, whereas I was told my gear sucks and I need to get better avoidance or whatnot...whatever! I still think the healer relying solely on spamming flash of light was the problem. but I will traverse the high road and take a look at my gear to see where I can improve. Thus I have come here, a place I have found very useful in the past. =) Honestly, I think I have decent gear for no raids, and especially since I started Wrath in late Jan, (quit WoW at sunwell release, game has changed a lot) and have only been tank-spec for a couple weeks.

The only upgrade (non-raid I can see is bracers in H OK). Am I right in thinking I am decently geared and perhaps the healer just wasn't up to par...or did he have a point and I need to find more lootz?

Any advice would be appreciated.

Here is my armory link:
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Praezin

Note: I still have 2pts unassigned for talents as I just re-specced, from a test spec the other day and still deciding on where to assign them.

Note2: I am un-guilded on Spirestone, thus I haven't had much, if any, experience raid tanking in Wrath. Can tank heroics like nobody's business though. :D And until I find a guild willing to take me (difficult so far), raid loot seems highly unlikely other than Vault.

PS. I can't seem to find the calculation (without the in-game script) to calculate my avoidance %. I think I have met it or are close to it (within a few percentages), but any help in that area would be great.

PSS. Incidentally, we didn't wipe due to me not knowing the pulls. My first time in CoS (heroic or normal) was a heroic timed run, got there with a few minutes to spare (with a Disc Priest, oh hot!). The other night was one of the very few I have failed at it...and I've run it quite a few times, almost every other night.
Zindra

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:38 am

Your gear is fine, but if I were in your shoes I'd change a few enchants and gems.

Bracer: cheap enchant, but I imagine you're saving for better gear.
Sword: 50ap is kind of bad. Agil might be better for you.
Shield: defense is better than using a TBC enchant.
Belt: pretty much any gem would be better than +4 stats. You could put a 24 stam gem here to offset changing the shield enchant.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby Zindra » Tue Feb 24, 2009 11:49 am

fuzzygeek wrote:Your gear is fine, but if I were in your shoes I'd change a few enchants and gems.

Belt: pretty much any gem would be better than +4 stats. You could put a 24 stam gem here to offset changing the shield enchant.

Sword, yeah had agility on there before. I'll put it back on or try to farm the mats for the TBC +strength (15 or 20, i forget).
Shield, had stam on there cuz at the time my stam was low for heroics (i was around 23k about 2wks ago).
Belt, put the +4 in there due to the slot being a prismatic, didnt even think of putting a non-prismatic in there. Thanks.
Last edited by Zindra on Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Zindra

Postby fuzzygeek » Tue Feb 24, 2009 12:11 pm

The belt socket from belt buckle is actually non-colored; if you ever pick up blacksmithing the add'l sockets from BS are also non-color specific.

Good luck, hope you find a non-stupid pocket healer.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby phaqueue » Tue Feb 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Zindra wrote:
fuzzygeek wrote:Your gear is fine, but if I were in your shoes I'd change a few enchants and gems.

Sword, yeah had agility on there before. I'll put it back on or try to farm the mats for the TBC +strength (15 or 20, i forget).
Shield, had stam on there cuz at the time my stam was low for heroics (i was around 23k about 2wks ago).
Belt, put the +4 in there due to the slot being a prismatic, didnt even think of putting a non-prismatic in there. Thanks.

as has been pointed out before- and I had to point out to someone earlier in-game...

(can't look at armory - but allow me to assume a little here)
you are probably using at least 1-2 yellow +16 def gems...

so you could enchant shield with 18 stam and put 16 def gems in 2 yellow slots...

or you could enchant 20 def to shield and put 2 +8 def/+12stam gems in yellow sockets

so why would you take 6 less stam and 4 less def for no reason?

just saying...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice