Dropping mining, should I go JC or Enchanting?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Dropping mining, should I go JC or Enchanting?

Postby Perrigrin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:16 am

One of my alts finally maxed mining - So 99% sure I'll drop mining on my pally and go for BS + either JC or Enchanting.

Opinions would be lovely - I'm not raiding, barely do 10-mans, so I'm thinking the trinket + gems from JC is a very good option. On the other hand enchanting benefits wont be competing to new non-bop gems that might get introduced ets.

I'm mainly prot, so tanking is the main concern, but I do tend to offspec both heal and sometimes even ret - so cross spec benefits are important to (one of the reasons I'm thinking it's a big upgrade to go from mining's sta boost to JC or enchanting).

Thanks!
Perrigrin

Postby majiben » Sat Feb 14, 2009 2:44 am

I'm a big proponent of JC. What may fail to account for with JC is that even without new BoP gems coming out, JC will remain very potent due to flexibility, additional socket bonus, Current trinket scaling, never having to sacrifice for meta requirements and a potential upgrade in trinket (speculative at this point). Even without a trinket upgrade when epic gems come out it would take a stamina trinket with 132 stamina to beat the current blue one (that is subtracting the additional stamina from using a prismatic gem over a 30 stamina one but including the 9 stam socket bonus. That is to say I accounted for opportunity loss).

Honestly if you only care about stamina I see no reason not to remaining as a miner because It's bonus is superior to enchanting and you'll rarely find yourself wishing you were a max level enchanter unless you're trying to corner the enchanting market which hard to do and not easy money. If you're looking to make money through DE then a lvl 350 enchanting alt can allow you to play the essence and dust market.

Finally we have no idea when the epic gems are going to be released, could be 3.1, could be 3.3, we simply don't know.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby phaqueue » Sat Feb 14, 2009 3:14 am

The only real reason I could see getting enchanting on your main over an alt is if you really want to be able to shard old gear as you upgrade...

otherwise - put enchanting on your alt - especially if you plan to level them to 80 eventually - the amount of enchanting mats you can get from sharding everything on the way up is amazing
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Amaranthea » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:13 am

Right now the question isn't "is JC good for me" it's "what is the best second profession to go with JC" - although this may change when epic gems are introduced, and/or if stamina trinkets start dropping from raids. I don't think epic gems will be coming in 3.1 simply because epic gems were released quite a bit later in BC, although there hasn't been any information released on this yet that I'm aware of.
Amaranthea

Postby Perrigrin » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:32 am

Amaranthea wrote:Right now the question isn't "is JC good for me" it's "what is the best second profession to go with JC" - although this may change when epic gems are introduced, and/or if stamina trinkets start dropping from raids. I don't think epic gems will be coming in 3.1 simply because epic gems were released quite a bit later in BC, although there hasn't been any information released on this yet that I'm aware of.

That pretty much sums it up for me -- now to find the energy to level it :P

thanks guys
Perrigrin

Postby Fayia » Sat Feb 14, 2009 4:34 pm

Enchanting is just soooo...painful to level..and that from somebody who was enchanter since day 1

So I say JC :)
Fayia

Postby Aubade » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:04 pm

I recently dropped Mining for Engineering on my paladin...

Now i know engy sucks for raid stats (and i do raid 5 days a week =[) But It's just so much fun, how can you NOT love Rocket boots, and Frost grenades and Saronite bombs and spynoculars + ret goggles = good for taking out stealthies in BGs.
- Awbade Level 85 Human Paladin - <Tsunami> Frostmourne - Retired.
Deliriously wrote:I prefer the, "Lonely Hand Approach" (trademark pending)
Aubade

Postby Jazmine » Sat Feb 14, 2009 5:42 pm

Wouldn't mining give more HP? You get 50 STA being a miner whereas enchanting really just benefits you because of 2 ring enchants of 24 STA (48 total). Unless you want Enchanting for the $$ from sharding stuff from quests.
Jazmine

Postby phaqueue » Sat Feb 14, 2009 9:53 pm

Jazmine wrote:Wouldn't mining give more HP? You get 50 STA being a miner whereas enchanting really just benefits you because of 2 ring enchants of 24 STA (48 total). Unless you want Enchanting for the $$ from sharding stuff from quests.

this is true - but the difference is minute... it's not really a big deal - things like JC/enchanting - though slightly less stam - give you the flexibility to be able to still have relevant stats - especially when dual specs come out...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice