How are you tracking offspec gear?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

There is some offspec gear up for grabs, how do you decide...

I roll knowing its an upgrade, I have a list
19%
I roll and hope that it is an upgrade, it should be?
13%
I check before I roll for it as I am carrying my offspec gear
58%
I roll knowing its an upgrade I have another way to track gear [Please Explain]
10%

Total votes : 31

How are you tracking offspec gear?

Postby Mishakal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:16 am

Well I am guessing alot of you have multiple tanking sets, I do.

I am guessing alot of you have multiple spec sets, i.e Holy/Ret.

I have a list of tanking gear that I want, I am always carrying my tanking gear .. therefore comparing it to gear that drops is easy ... and on the rare ocassion I dont have my tanking gear I have the list.

I dont want to have a list for healing gear/ret gear to know what is and isnt an upgrade.

At the moment if its purple and its for holy/ret I just roll, often returning to the bank to find I have better or the actual same piece, and sometimes I have grabbed an upgrade.

For all those with mulitple sets for different specs I want to know how you track your gear for upgrades?

I dont want to have to make a list of my gear and stats to refer to, but if I have too I guess I will.
Mishakal

Postby warden » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:20 am

I voted that I check first, but I don't maintain a ret offspec, only a holy one, and I have a bag full of holy gear that I switch out at my bank before a raid with my bag full of various ores/eternals/crystalized whatever that I carry when farming.
warden
Maintankadonor

Postby Mishakal » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:23 am

Warden wrote:I voted that I check first, but I don't maintain a ret offspec, only a holy one, and I have a bag full of holy gear that I switch out at my bank before a raid with my bag full of various ores/eternals/crystalized whatever that I carry when farming.

I have a viable set for both specs, and also a subset for Holy that is forming ... so I cant carry them.

I am happy to do the leg work for my tanking gear and having a list etc, but for my "can you heal/dps tonight sets" I am looking for an easy way to track them.
Mishakal

Postby Egtheridon » Thu Feb 05, 2009 12:52 am

I always carry all three sets of gear on me. If you manage your bags its pretty easy to fit everything in there, i have three bags full of gear, and they are creeping into my fourth but there really isn't a lot of trash to pick up in the twenty five man content. edit:(i also carry my MC gear in my bags 5/8 lawbringer and full MC epics)

Before i do a wing i usually go through my bags and see if there is any piece of gear I need for one of my sets of gear, for holy its easy primarily because I never get mp5 gear and the list of plate healing gear without mp5 is pretty small.

For prot i pretty much snatch anything thats going to be disenchanted(we only have one plate tank in the guild and then it goes straight to offspec) because i like to have a block value/avoidance/mitigation/passive avoidance/stamstacked set of gear, and most of the time a piece of gear falls into one of those categories.

For my ret set, i tend to build my gear set around really nice pieces of gear that my melee passes on and then load it into rawr with those couple of pieces and just memorize the top three pieces in each slot and only go for those.

I think one thing to keep in mind is if your not rolling its going to be disenchanted its easier to just pay your guild a shard in trade for the item than to just let it go to waste.

Holy is pretty easy to gear for there are generally very obvious upgrades for each slot, but for Ret due to trying to hit cap you have to balance gear and at certain points choose which pieces will be your "hit" pieces and then probably just make a list of gear that is obtainable.(especially if its an offset)
Paladin/70/Rivendare
Egtheridon

Postby Levantine » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:24 am

I'm glad I only have two possible specs. I normally quest in my DPS set anyway, so I'll just flip my ratingbuster profile and take a quick look to see if it's an upgrade.
Levantine

Postby MrDuck » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:34 am

Well i always open my bank (with bagnon, addon that allows me to see bank wherever, just cannot work with it,only look) and compare. BankStack addon helps to keep bank sorted,so it's fast and easy to find these items :P
MrDuck

Re: How are you tracking offspec gear?

Postby amh » Thu Feb 05, 2009 2:27 am

Mishakal wrote:or the actual same piece.

Get arkinventory.

Tooltip:
-------------
Staff of Love
9001 dps
12 stamina
-
Kieras 1 (Bank 1) <- busted
-------------

Or:
-------------
Belt no-one wants
100 spell-power
11 stamina
-
Kieras 2 (Bag 1, Bank 1)
-------------

Because holy gear never stops dropping -_-
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Sanctify » Thu Feb 05, 2009 3:04 am

Get BankItems.

Problem solved.
Image Image
Sanctify

Postby Wolvar » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:46 am

BankItems is full of win.
Wolvar

Postby Dorvan » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:50 am

I don't have a manual list, just two loot rank lists:

Ret
http://www.lootrank.com/wr.asp?Cla=2&Ar ... &j1=0&j2=0

Holy
http://www.lootrank.com/wr.asp?Cla=2&Ar ... &k5=0&k6=0

I generally know if something is an upgrade when it drops, but when in doubt I just tab out to check the appropriate list real quick

WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Scriggle - 85 Fire Mage
Fizzmore - 81 Mut Rogue
Adorania - 80 Disc Priest
Dorvan
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Thu Feb 05, 2009 10:58 am

keeping track is fairly easy by just following the rules. see rule number 4 for an easy way to keep track if you need a drop or not. http://darklegacycomics.com/152.jpg

large image is large, so you get a link!
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Dread » Thu Feb 05, 2009 1:25 pm

ArkInventory.

I can easily refer to my ret set which is sitting safely in the bank and allowing me extra bag space to see if something is a clear upgrade or not. If it's not immediately clear if it's an upgrade, I can always refer to my Rawr.Retadin file quickly.
Dread

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice