Remove Advertisements

Am I Shooting Myself in the Foot?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Am I Shooting Myself in the Foot?

Postby Tunos » Tue Jan 20, 2009 10:29 pm

Ok, here's the armory.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ar&n=Tunos

I know there's a lot of talk on these boards about block rating and hitting the block cap. I know why. My complaint is that pursuing the block cap, at least from what I've seen thus far, is very hard to do. Instead of pursuing it I've chosen the old stamina, stamina, stamina mindset.

I've only been doing 10 man Naxx and Sartharion thus far and I'm our guild's main tank (when we have enough healers). I've never gotten complaints about being difficult to heal, or with threat (even when not using JoL).

My question is just how badly am I shooting myself in the foot by pursuing stamina over block rating? Am I shooting myself in the foot at all? Note, it's not that I'm ignoring block rating. I grab it when I can. But I'm not going out of my way or wearing blues to pick it up over higher stamina/ pure avoidance epics.

I'd love to move on to 25 mans someday but at present my guild forces me to operate with a lowest common denominator mindset - that is we can't do 25 mans becaus somebody is going to screw up and kill us all. So unless I move elsewhere I'll like never see anything past 10 mans, just putting that in for consideration.
Tunos

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:46 am

Honestly, in Naxx/OS10 it doesn't matter one way or another. Block capped is nice if you can get it, but it's far from mandatory. By the time you start Magylos, you'll want a bit more avoidance, since he hits for around the 10k mark, but you'll also need decent health as well.

If you're happy with how you do things, and your healers are happy as well, then do things that way. But be prepared to reassess your gear when you hit a roadblock.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Karaghiosis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 12:55 am

As a JC I cant seem to justify how you've managed to miss socket bonuses. Move the stam gem in helm to the blue socket in crab and you just gained a free 8 def rating.
put the epic gem in your chest in the yellow socket and the 24 sta in the blue socket and you get a free 6 block rating.
I would also change some of your blues to the enduring forest emerald (8/12) and get the badge shield. that should push your avoidance up as well as keep your stamina relatively close.
Karaghiosis

Postby Tunos » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:20 am

Karaghiosis wrote:As a JC I cant seem to justify how you've managed to miss socket bonuses. Move the stam gem in helm to the blue socket in crab and you just gained a free 8 def rating.
put the epic gem in your chest in the yellow socket and the 24 sta in the blue socket and you get a free 6 block rating.
I would also change some of your blues to the enduring forest emerald (8/12) and get the badge shield. that should push your avoidance up as well as keep your stamina relatively close.

Socket bonuses were missed due to my inability to complete the JC quest everyday. Since my gear came in slowly and my Crab has been the only consistent piece of gear it got the 41 stamina first and I haven't bothered to get the Dragon's Eyes which are rather expensive on my server, to min/max everything out = )

Though you're right... the chest is a bit embarassing.
Tunos

Postby Karaghiosis » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:34 am

Ahh ok that makes a little bit more sense then.

That being said, Thane's helm is one of the best helms in game so I don't see that being too much trouble to change (1 daily).

I'd probably pay for the other dragon eye and call it a stupidity tax mainly because it pisses me off to leave blatant errors. I do it once in a while when I respec back and forth between holy and prot - just gotta suck it up and toss away the extra 100 gold =(

ps: i hate mis clicking into sacred cleansing. it's happened at least 3 times so far! (you'd think i would learn).
Karaghiosis

Postby skrith2 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 1:52 am

here, look at my stuff. Its all out of 10 man content. I'm at 102.4% fully raid buffed.

I could prolly regem it to get some more stam out of it, but I'm broke and lazy.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Runetotem&n=Skrith

block cap > anything. I go OOM all the time cause I dont need heals. Who needs 10934151k stam when you dont take much damage?

I mean, once your in 25's you're gonna get hit a lot harder, but you can't get the gear for 25's without doing 25's so.... you gotta do 25's. Fully buffed atm I'm at 32k health, 34k with commanding shout. Thats plenty for the content I have access to. But I was at 27k buffed and not block capped when we started naxx, that didnt really stop us.
skrith2

Postby ulushnar » Wed Jan 21, 2009 2:59 am

The thing is, with the exception of Maexxna frenzying when you're stunned, or KT's guardians if your DPS sucks, there's nothing that hits hard enough in Naxx for it to make a difference one way or another.

Don't get me wrong, as a Block freak, I love getting block-capped, but his gear isn't exactly terrible and if his healers don't have a problem with him there's no special reason for him to change...

...Yet.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby jcamper1337 » Wed Jan 21, 2009 3:27 am

I use the block cap my self its Freaking Awesome if ur healers Suck (luckly mine dont) Its Just worth it in my book. Its less incomming dmg on all bosses which means ur healers are working less and have more time to maybe throw a dot or a holy shock at the boss. Im also sitting at 29k + unbuffed Hp. Im still unsure if at this current moment Im block caped Do to i just switched my cloak and weapon out for The bage cloak and the Last Laugh. So I would say Hit the block cap then worrie about stam. Also there right about JC's and socket bonuses. A smart Mod once told me AMOYM (Always Max out Your Migitation) So only use The JC gems u have in hard to fill sockets Yellow sockets Get either 16 defense or 8 defense 12 stam Gems, Blue Get Stam, Red get Either Solid Dragon Eyes or 8 parry/Dodge 12 stam Gems. ( i cant say im using it like i say just because I have a 41 stam in my shoulders just because I already have everything socketed and didnt have all 3 dragon eyes in) thats What I can suggest atleast
jcamper1337

Postby phaqueue » Wed Jan 21, 2009 4:41 am

Block capped is wonderful...

very nice to be able to basically have someone solo heal Naxx while the other healer DPS's (or doesn't bother to do anything - as has also happened)

one week we took a resto druid and resto shaman... the shaman did the bulk of healing while the resto druid was able to DPS and throw wild growth/hots as needed... but spent a good amount of time DPSing... (there were fights he was neck and neck with JoL healing)

this is a good thing IMO - and comes from taking less damage from bosses and such...

also - being able to survive bad pulls (such as the whole hallway before 4h... that we always somehow pull all at once) makes block capping very nice to have...

my suggestion is to not completely sacrifice one for the other (until you are making more specialized sets)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice