Underestimated heroics?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Underestimated heroics?

Postby Lirt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:38 am

So, after hearing people saying that WotLK heroics are fairly easy, I decided it would be fine to start them when uncrittable, even if a bit low on health (~20.4k).

However, yesterday's H UK run was a huge failure due to me dying way too easily. I was running with a ~1600 spellpower resto shaman, about half epic'd, and died midway through the first 4-mob pull. Later the healer kept saying that I take waay too much damage and was asking why, it's true that my health was spiking like crazy. In the end he told me that I needed better gear before doing heroics and the group called it.

Anyway my question is, should I stick to normal instances right now and keep grinding rep/scouring the AH for BOEs? Or give heroics another try? And what would help right now to make me easier to heal, since I hate feeling that the group failed because of me :( Here is a link to Armory if it helps: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Anetheron&n=Lirtaer
Lirt

Me too

Postby Splatus » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:56 am

Hey Lirt, funny, I posted pretty much the same story earlier today http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintankadin/viewtopic.php?t=19476

The advice I got pointed to my skill to play rather than the gear - I simply had assumed the mobs in the heroic instances behave like the the same mobs in regular instances - just bigger and meaner. This was probably foolish and I should have read up on it before I wiped my guild on some trash mobs....

Just a thought

PS. Our armory profiles look eerily similar :wink:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Trollbane&n=Blaubart
Splatus

Postby Pallypete » Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:33 pm

You can tank most heroics. However you CANNOT aoe tank every pull in them. You're gonna have to use at least some CC on big pulls at that gear level. Try to CC casters, or guys with really irritating abilities (the strategists in UK with their damn bombs are annoying as piss, either CC or kill em first). There's quite a few mobs that will surprise you with stuns, abilities that make you take extra damage, etc, and that's likely what's causing your health to drop quickly.

My advice is until you get some more gear and get more confident in what damage you can take, CC one mob every pull. (Providing there's more than 2).
Pallypete

Postby amh » Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:30 pm

Your biggest weakness right now seems to be your low health-pool.

Looking at how much over the defense minimum you are, consider regemming some of the hybrids to pure stamina. Also looks like you've still got a lot of BC-gems, swap'em out right away with some green wotlk-gems.

Regardless of gear-level, caster-mobs in heroics hurt a lot. More cc :)

(picking up http://www.wowhead.com/?item=37801 would allow even more stamina-gemming)
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Lirt » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:32 pm

Thank you everyone for the advice. I'll start bugging my groups to CC more now...beyond that, I think it's a question of how much practice I've had with these heroics.

To be honest, I got used to feeling overpowered while doing (insanely easy) normal instances, have to get used to the difficulty level being stepped up now :P
Lirt

Postby Lavnihs » Sat Jan 17, 2009 11:46 pm

It is quite possible for you to do H UK at your gear level. I respecced holy to heal a fresh 80 guildie pally while he was tanking it. He was at def minimum, and around 19,500 HP. I had around 1400 SP at the time in my holy gear. It wasn't easy and took us a little while (I'm not nearly the healer I used to be in TBC when I raided holy lol) and we always CC'ed 1 mob per pull, but it was doable. Took us about an hour and 25 minutes or so, but we made it with the only wipes being due to my rustiness at healing.

True your HP are going to seesaw all over the place. Healing you while trying to AOE the place will be very taxing and annoying to the healer. Cut him/her some slack and use some CC, HoJ/BE racial (if you are horde) to interrupt casters, and toss a Holy Wrath (undead pulls) when you are getting precariously low to buy the healer a little more time. Don't be afraid to pop trinkets every time they are off cooldown, bubblewall, whatever. There are no style points or cool kid points for not doing everything you can to keep yourself alive.

Stick to the easier heroics for a while to get a feel for things. H VH doesn't have any extremely hard hitting bosses, H CoS is perfectly manageable as long as you don't go crazy with your pulling and you use HW/HoJ to break up the damage. Old Kingdom is pretty easy as well if your group plays along, especially if you pull the 3nd boss to the steps and fight her there, makes the dps race / enrage trivial.

The only time I have big damage spikes in H UK is when I'm doing something stupid, like standing on bombs, not interrupting / stunning casters, etc. My pocket BE priest is a pretty sharp dude, he keeps an eye on my torrent cooldown and runs in to pop his to help me interrupt. Ask a DPS to help you interrupt as well, this can go a long way on casters.

Other than that go slow and be careful and you will be just fine.

Edit: Haha just noticed you're from Anetheron. Look me up sometime, I'm a BS/JC as well, and I'd be happy to do what I can to help you out however possible.
Lavnihs -BE Prot Pally, <Deceit> Anetheron

1/1 Hogger (pre-nerf)
Lavnihs

Postby phaqueue » Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:07 am

also... remember that you will take a LOT more damage from casters than anything else... since you can't dodge/parry/block anything from them...and armor does not apply here either...

you should always CC/kill casters first... if you have DPS that can interrupt tell them to do so (unless it's a healer they will need to interrupt heals instead)

hope this helps
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice