A question of 102.4% - What does it actually mean to me...

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

A question of 102.4% - What does it actually mean to me...

Postby regression » Fri Jan 02, 2009 5:49 pm

how do I calculate it, and what should I aim myself for now?

I have read after reaching 540 defense the next step is to reach block capped. I am not sure what this is. (the %, that is)

I have a lot of upgraded gear, I think the only thing I can upgrade now from heroic drops/badges would be a trinket and bracers. I ask this because while reading various posts here, I see we are the only tank able to reach this 102.4% combined avoidance.

This is a link to my armory:

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... Regression

Unfortunately for me, I work nights on eastern time in america, so my ability to find a guild who raids naxx is pretty tough. So the best things I can get are from badges/heroics/lucky vault I guess.

I am after the block trinket, as I noticed compared to others, my unbuffed block isn't too high.

So, I understand 102.4 means something like combined avoidance. When I add up my Block%/Parry%/Dodge% it comes no where near 102.4% even accounting an extra 30% from HS.

If someone could give me an explanation of the formula or how the 102.4% is calculated, and where they believe I can go from here without raiding, I'd appreciate it.

Also, just wanted to say this website is essentially why I kept playing WoW. Dusted my holy pally off and decided to tank when WOTLK came out, now I love it.

Thanks for your help guys!

Regression
regression

Postby Invisusira » Fri Jan 02, 2009 6:42 pm

It's dodge+parry+block+miss. 102.4 IS block cap.

Use this macro:
Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)*0.20333)*0.04,1,0.5,0)
Invisusira

Postby majiben » Sat Jan 03, 2009 12:14 am

Invisusira wrote:It's dodge+parry+block+miss. 102.4 IS block cap.

Use this macro:
Code: Select all
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage("Need 102.4 combined avoidance. Currently at:",0.8,0.8,1)
/script DEFAULT_CHAT_FRAME:AddMessage(GetDodgeChance()+GetBlockChance()+GetParryChance()+5+(GetCombatRating(CR_DEFENSE_SKILL)*0.20333)*0.04,1,0.5,0)
Said macro does not take DR on miss into account so don't feel safe till you get 103.9 with raid buffs.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby regression » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:04 am

Thanks, should I be worried about this while doing heroics? Right now it spits out 94%. Seems like I am a long way to hitting that cap. I thought there was a certain cap on the block%, guess I was wrong.
regression

Postby phaqueue » Sat Jan 03, 2009 2:12 am

regression wrote:Thanks, should I be worried about this while doing heroics? Right now it spits out 94%. Seems like I am a long way to hitting that cap. I thought there was a certain cap on the block%, guess I was wrong.

what I think you're referring to here "block cap" doesn't mean what you're thinking it means...

block cap is the term being used to describe 102.4% now... since uncrushable is no long accurate...

what block capped means is that you are unable to take a normal hit... every hit you take will be at the least reduced by your block value.

block cap is a good goal, but not at the complete expense of things like stam and EH... for heroics... you most likely want a good balance.

watch your balancing act... being block capped is not a necessity IMO, but it helps a ton. It smoothes out your damage intake, making you easier to heal... since you won't take anywhere near as much "spiky" damage.

check out the FAQ thread in the basic training section of this forum... it should help answer a lot of questions...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby regression » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:12 am

phaqueue wrote:
regression wrote:Thanks, should I be worried about this while doing heroics? Right now it spits out 94%. Seems like I am a long way to hitting that cap. I thought there was a certain cap on the block%, guess I was wrong.

what I think you're referring to here "block cap" doesn't mean what you're thinking it means...

block cap is the term being used to describe 102.4% now... since uncrushable is no long accurate...

what block capped means is that you are unable to take a normal hit... every hit you take will be at the least reduced by your block value.

block cap is a good goal, but not at the complete expense of things like stam and EH... for heroics... you most likely want a good balance.

watch your balancing act... being block capped is not a necessity IMO, but it helps a ton. It smoothes out your damage intake, making you easier to heal... since you won't take anywhere near as much "spiky" damage.

check out the FAQ thread in the basic training section of this forum... it should help answer a lot of questions...

I see, I checked out the one thread, but it seems like it is level 70 info. I will check the link in there that says it is the most updated. I'm just trying to gain an understanding of this new part now that I am defense capped. I want to be the best I can be with what is available to me(heroics and maybe a vault or two).

Thanks for the info.
regression

Postby phaqueue » Sat Jan 03, 2009 4:33 am

regression wrote:
I see, I checked out the one thread, but it seems like it is level 70 info. I will check the link in there that says it is the most updated. I'm just trying to gain an understanding of this new part now that I am defense capped. I want to be the best I can be with what is available to me(heroics and maybe a vault or two).

Thanks for the info.

just for the record... there is no DEFENSE CAP... only a minimum...

not trying to nitpick - just following the rules

(see the "kill the misinformation" sticky in the gear forums)
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice