I thought I had the gear for H VH

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby daemonym » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:11 am

Discus wrote:Tried Violet Hold and Nexus Heroic over weekend as first heroics - had 22k armour/HP unbuffed - 536 defense. Guildies insisted I needed 24k HP unbuffed, I refered them here. I got hammered by firsr bosses, not even close.

I guess I'm still wearing too much level 70 gear despite above stats achievement through daunting gear and crafted titansteel - my avoidance is terribad.

Whats the minimum stats a Druid Healer needs to WoTLK heriocs?

my frist heroics ran i had 22.4k health and 22k ish armor, like 84% or so into block cap. healers i ran with usually had 1300+ spell power. never had an issue unless they were in 90% level 70 gear. even the trees i had healing me.

We gave up at the first boss - no accidental pulls just our healer couldnt keep me up through first boss who appeared to be hitting for about 9k mellee.

depends on the boss you're talking about. when i run nexus the 'first boss' i fight is the stone giant guy. never hits fro that much without the enrage. the commander boss frozen in ice guy, his whirlwind does hit for that much and you can expect that. i'm in best in slot (nearly) pre raid gear and that's how much i take.

IMO, your healer simply just blows. use CC on large trash pulls, but for bosses you should be fine for most heroics.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Pallypete » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:26 am

If it's the birdman boss, were you killing his two adds? I'm pretty sure he gets buffed if his helpers die, making him hit quite hard. If that's the case just tank them all and burn down the boss himself. VH can be super easymode or can be semi-difficult depending on which bosses you get. Voidwalker and Ethereal guy kinda suck. Water guy's fairly easy except for when he enrages at low health (25%?), bubblewall through it and have your DPS go to town. Lavanthor's a joke, just make sure you move out of the pools of fire. End boss is probably one of the easiest ones in there too.
Pallypete

Postby daemonym » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:46 am

Pallypete wrote:Voidwalker and Ethereal guy kinda suck.

the etheral dude does suck indeed as RNG's seem to play a huge factor, but damn he's got a cool ass voice. the void guy is cake if your group knows to stop dps when he gets his buff up that gives you minus heals when hit. or get a mage to spell steal or a fel puppy to nom nom nom it away. he doesn't hit too hard and the aoe is light. a druid can just keep hots rolling and be fine, a pally can flash heal with a beacon on and go to town.

Water guy's fairly easy except for when he enrages at low health (25%?), bubblewall through it and have your DPS go to town.

he enrages? O.o
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Eanin » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:47 am

The ethereal hits like a truck when he gets buffed. He can kill just about any tank. Kite him around upstairs, so he's out of LoS of his void thingies.

He hit me for 11k yesterday. Ouch.
Eanin

Postby Pallypete » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:53 am

I just found a strat on wowhead for the ethereal guy that suggests tanking him in the water where Ichoron comes from, apparently they didn't have to worry about the orbs at all. I'll try it next time I get him.
Pallypete

Postby Danth » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:53 pm

I had about the same stats as other posters when I started heroics: Low 540's Defense and about 22K health. My wife--a Druid--had about 1200 spell power. Violet Hold was among the first heroics we did (along with Nexus). Both zones, and others, weren't too tough at that equipment level. Simply put, if your group is wiping, it's not your gear's fault. Don't let them blame their (or your) mistakes on your equipment.

As with Burning Crusade, most named mobs in Lich King are more about learning their gimmicks and executing the fight correctly than raw stats. That guy who killed you in Nexus? If you don't want to suck up his Whirlwind, you can just run out of range.

Knaughty: Why do you consider a Druid the 'worst' healer for 5-man content? I consider it an excellent dungeon healer at present. It's notable that I did consider Druids the worst during the Burning Crusade time frame.

Danth
Medivh server, on hiatus
Danth

Postby knaughty » Tue Dec 23, 2008 3:56 pm

Danth wrote:Knaughty: Why do you consider a Druid the 'worst' healer for 5-man content? I consider it an excellent dungeon healer at present. It's notable that I did consider Druids the worst during the Burning Crusade time frame.

We only have one tree in-guild at the moment, and I haven't had the chance to run heroics with him, so I could be stale and spouting TBC-era misinformation.

In TBC, the problem was that if the damage could be dealt with via stacked HoTs, they were OP, if it couldn't, well, you just died (unless they were PvP spec). Toolkit too small. Thinking about it, they did get some actual direct heals in Wrath? They usable in tree-form?

In a raid, rolling HoTs is awesomesauce, of course.

Also: "Worst" was probably a bad choice of word. "Least optimised for 5-man healing" is better, but really long.

There are four healing classes, five specs. They are deliberately a lot more variable than the tanking classes. I consider (holy) Priests the best 5-man healer, because they're the only class with every healing ability: HoTs, group heals, small fast heal, big slow heal. Then PoM, Shield, etc, etc. Shaman second, basically because of brain-heal + totems + bloodlust.

Someone has t be "worst" - that doesn't mean "can't do". In this case the OP was combing every single bad option (bad gear on whole party + new instance) all at once.
Last edited by knaughty on Tue Dec 23, 2008 6:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby looweez » Tue Dec 23, 2008 4:44 pm

Knaughty wrote:
Danth wrote:Knaughty: Why do you consider a Druid the 'worst' healer for 5-man content? I consider it an excellent dungeon healer at present. It's notable that I did consider Druids the worst during the Burning Crusade time frame.

We only have one tree in-guild at the moment, and I haven't had the chance to run heroics with him, so I could be stale and spouting TBC-era misinformation.

In TBC, the problem was that if the damage could be dealt with via stacked HoTs, they were OP, if it couldn't, well, you just died (unless they were PvP spec). Toolkit too small. Thinking about it, they did get some actual direct heals in Wrath? They usable in tree-form?

In a raid, rolling HoTs is awesomesauce, of course.

Also: "Worst" was probably a bad choice of word. "Least optimised for 5-man healing" is better, but really long.

There are four healing classes, five specs. They are deliberately a lot more variable than the tanking classes. I consider (holy) Priests the best 5-man healer, because they're the only class with every healing ability: HoTs, group heals, small fast heal, big slow heal. Then PoM, Shield, etc, etc. Shaman second, basically because of brain-heal + totems + bloodlust.

Someone has t be "worst" - that doesn't mean "can't do". In this case the OP was combing every single bad option (bad gear on whole party + new instance) all at once.

Thats one of my favorite things of the expansions. The reset of gear and new instances. Running through instances without even having to think or worry about wiping gets old fast. Doing instances for the first time with friends and/or people you dont know and learning as you go ftw
looweez

Postby Danth » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:38 pm

"In TBC, the problem was that if the damage could be dealt with via stacked HoTs, they were OP, if it couldn't, well, you just died (unless they were PvP spec). Toolkit too small. Thinking about it, they did get some actual direct heals in Wrath? They usable in tree-form? "

Perhaps slightly off-topic, but information is always useful:

With the changes since 3.0, Druids can use their largest direct heal in Tree of Life form (healing touch--comparable to a priest's greater heal). Regrowth received major improvements and serves well as a direct heal in dungeons, too. Druids also gain Nourish at 80, which is effectively a flash heal. Wild Growth (an AOE heal over time) was another major addition to their arsenal. My wife tells me that it feels like a whole new class now--for the better.

I agree with what Looweez said. The first time my friends and I did Heroic Utgarde Pinnacle, none of us had been in the zone before, not even on normal mode. That we managed to defeat Skaldi without wiping means more to me than any of Blizzard's official 'achievements'. We managed to hang on by the skin of our teeth, out of mana, out of cooldowns, two battle rezzes used (two druids in the group), half the party down, the remainder almost dead--but victorious. That's what makes these games fun.

Danth
Medivh server, on hiatus
Danth

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:05 am

Yeah was a healing issue - took the Guild priest to Utgarde Keep Heroic last night and had to keep checking I had it set on heroic. No wipes, almost walk through with enough close moments to make it interesting.

I can now enjoy Christmas as I hope you all do :o
Discus

Postby Worldie » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:11 am

So i'm the only one who knows only exceptional resto druids who are probably my favourite healers?
theckhd wrote:Fuck no, we've seen what you do to guilds. Just imagine what you could do to an entire country. Just visiting the US might be enough to make the southern states try to secede again.

halabar wrote:Noo.. you don't realize the problem. Worldie was to negative guild breaking energy like Bolvar is to the Scourge. If Worldie is removed, than someone must pick up that mantle, otherwise that negative guild breaking energy will run rampant, destroying all the servers.
Worldie
Global Mod

Postby majiben » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:19 am

Worldie wrote:So i'm the only one who knows only exceptional resto druids who are probably my favourite healers?
Nope I have a great one in my guild who I adore running with (their name happens to be adoranore).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby phaqueue » Wed Dec 24, 2008 4:50 am

My roommate is an amazing resto druid... has the gear for it too

also have a friend on the server who is a merc glad resto druid... and probably one of the best resto druids I have ever played with...

Honestly - I have to agree with the above posters here... you took the worst possible combination (lack of gear/lack of experience)

while it is possible to survive this through tricks and such... it makes it MUCH harder than it actually should be

my first few heroics as a tank - I had no idea what I was doing... but I was running with people who had done them enough to know what's going on...

honestly - your stats are about where mine were when I started - and I pugged a lot for a the first week or so...

just keep plugging away - read up on some strats (there are some good guides in the 5-man forum here on MTadin)

another thing that will help a ton that people tend to not do... when you wipe... don't just say "ok well - let's try harder next time" actually figure out why you wiped... remember - no matter what role you're in - there are things that other people see/do in the fight that you will never see

when you wipe - the first question should be "what happened that caused us to wipe" if it's RNG... so be it... if it's a boss ability - figure out how to survive/avoid that ability... if someone made a mistake - they need to fix it...

this is the best way to overcome things like this - especially if you don't know the instance completely yet...

make sure you make it clear to people that you aren't singling them out when you say "why did you die" tell them that you are just trying to figure out what happened to fix it...

hope it helps some
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Discus » Wed Dec 24, 2008 6:22 am

I should clarify - the original resto druid is a top bloke and guild GM :lol:

In TBC he was the guild's best healer but has just hit 80 so hasn't yet had chance to gear up. The priest on the otherhand has been 80 a while and has had lots of luck with drops. So it's not a fair comparison.
Discus

Postby amh » Wed Dec 24, 2008 7:54 pm

Your armory: http://eu.wowarmory.com/character-sheet ... s&n=Discus ?

Your guildies are wrong; your gear is fine. Bosses hit hard on heroic, that's just something your healer has to get used to. Block-value is good, but using a trinket-slot on it just isn't worth it. Drop the blockvalue-trinket to get some stamina (got Essence of Gossamer, Commendation of Kael'Thas?) or anything else, really :)

Which nexus-boss was it? The frozen commander-guy has a whirlwind that hurts, Ormorok throws out ice spikes for 10k damage. Anomalus hits like a truck (+ magic damage). Telestra is just a pain. Keristrasza... Keep that bubble-wall off cooldown. This entire instance is a dirthole full of burst-damage to counter.

Edit: Apparently I skipped page 2 when reading through this >.>
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice