Remove Advertisements

love some advice

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

love some advice

Postby nebulas » Mon Dec 22, 2008 11:42 am

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Nebulas

above is my armory link.

I just started running naxx 10 and 25 man. I am usually OT (the raids tend to use a warrior even though i have much better avoidance then both the 10 and 25 man warrior) and would love some advice on areas I should focus on.

As you can see I have reached the golden 540 def. I am VERY close 102.4 avoidiance. The last numbers I ran put me at 100.02. I feel like my health is really low...... love advice on how to get that up. been struggling with gemming def gems or stm gems b/c i dont want to loose avoidance.

Thank you!
Nebulas, Silver Hand, Alliance.
The Knights of Justice
nebulas

Postby Moideib » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:17 am

First off your HP isnt a glaring problem.

Easiest way to boost it up some would be through resocketing your helm with either 16 Defense Rating, or a 12 Stam 8 Defense Rating (grabbing socket bonus), re-enchanting your cloak with Titanweave (16 Defense rating), enchanting your shield with 20 defense rating.

This would give you the room to replace Dabiri's Enigma with a stamina trinket like Essence of Gossamer (111 Stamina).

Just my 2 cents.

Either way though, the 12 Stam 8 Parry gem in the helm is a less than optimum choice. Its a decent socket bonus, but even if you neglect that, the dodge hybrid gem (Regal) is superior. You are not anywhere near the point where parry>dodge yet.

Also putting 20 Strength on the weapon would do better for you than the AP. Though I do know enhanters were giving the attack power enchant away to get skillgain, so I cant blame you if thats the case.

Hope that helps!
Moideib

Postby Falibard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 8:43 am

I know the pain of regemming a lot, but I think you can get what you want by rearranging a bit. You and I have a pretty similar gear situation so take a look at what I did: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning%27s+Blade&n=Falibard

*Ignore my spec. I was ret on the weekend then respecced for a raid where there were many pallys and kings wasn't necessary. I was very underwhelmed by Reckoning.

You're currently using 2 +def trinkets, so you'll have to make up that difference in your gear if you want to replace them. If you have an essence of the gossamer equip that in place of dabri's since that will be the easiest one to replace. Defense to shield, Titanweave, and the def + block value meta are all good choices. Farm UP for Red Sword of Courage. Maybe even farm CoT for the shield I have? Oh, and since you're on the cusp of block cap you can either use your TBC libram (quick fix) or get the Armsman enchant for your gloves. These are all the things I did to free up my trinket slots so I could get 1) stamina 2) avoidance.

Also, don't feel too bad for the parry gem. I was pretty broke when I got my shoulders and the parry hybrid was just so much cheaper. :roll:
I actually have gold again, I'll try to remember to replace it when I get home from work.
Falibard

Postby amh » Tue Dec 23, 2008 9:14 am

Both Moideib and Falibard came with some excellent advise right there. Once you got the defense to use trinkets without defense-rating you're pretty much set to do whatever the hell you want :) Trinkets usually make a pretty massive impact on your stats, having one or even two trinket-slots you can mix around without dropping defense is very comfortable.
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Flashbane » Tue Dec 23, 2008 10:09 am

Base on my Armory http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Shadowsong&n=Flashbane

It shows:

Defense: 543 skill (rating at 708 + 143 def)

Dodge: 25.08%

Parry: 17.54%

Block: 21.09%

So my avoidance should be 104.43 with HS?
Flashbane

Postby nebulas » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:41 am

First, thank you all for the advice. This is exactly what i was looking for.

I used the gem in my helm to try to balance the meta gem requirement (red). I don't see a lot of good tanking red gems out there.. i used the Glimmering Monarch Topaz to grab the meta gem requirement and the socket one all in one shot. I do actually prefer the Regal Twilight Opal. What red gems do you all use?

I will work on upgrading my trinkets (i don't have the +111stm one) and my sword. One of my guildies just got the +16 def to cloak chant so i will check that out. I totally went with the attack power chat to help someone level, once i get a weapon upgrade i will swap over to the 20strgth chant, although i hope to see the new tanking chants come out soon.

Flashbane, The armory you are taking a look at is correct, since i posted this thread I actually got several upgrades which gave me the stats you are looking at. Now that I have my avoidance caped I am feeling a lot more comfy stretching out to other trinkets. I think with the shield enchant I can at least replace my 30 def trinket with the +111 stm one. I dont know if i will be able to drop my other def trinket though.

Question about the dodge trinket that you can get with heroic marks, i have heard that it isnt that great for pallies, is this true? I have the marks for it but havent gotten it due to comments I read saying it is not worth the drop in def.
Nebulas, Silver Hand, Alliance.
The Knights of Justice
nebulas

Postby Moideib » Tue Dec 23, 2008 11:53 am

For red slots, if I want the bonus, I use Regal Twilight Opal (Purple).
Eventually, when I dont need the stamina, I will switch to pure dodge rating since I will be working on losing block rating and gaining pure avoidance; this of course is talking about my avoidance set. Nothing better than high BR/BV for your trash/aoe etc set.

I also use the Defense/5% BV Meta. Adds flexibility and BV/TPS, and scales with my BV.

I am very unimpressed with the badge dodge trinket. I think its aimed more at druids and warrior, maybe death knights. I am however hax, and have the JC Crab trinket, and the Repelling Charge (Thaddius Naxx 10).

I actually compared the dodge trinket to my Repelling Charge last night, at least on my character, the defense wins (84 Defense Rating). Switching the two would gain about 1.04% dodge but lose that much in parry/miss and then more so in block (this is off memory, so I may be off slightly).
Moideib

Postby Falibard » Tue Dec 23, 2008 1:57 pm

Moideib wrote:For red slots, if I want the bonus, I use Regal Twilight Opal (Purple).
Eventually, when I dont need the stamina, I will switch to pure dodge rating since I will be working on losing block rating and gaining pure avoidance; this of course is talking about my avoidance set. Nothing better than high BR/BV for your trash/aoe etc set.

I also use the Defense/5% BV Meta. Adds flexibility and BV/TPS, and scales with my BV.

I am very unimpressed with the badge dodge trinket. I think its aimed more at druids and warrior, maybe death knights. I am however hax, and have the JC Crab trinket, and the Repelling Charge (Thaddius Naxx 10).

I actually compared the dodge trinket to my Repelling Charge last night, at least on my character, the defense wins (84 Defense Rating). Switching the two would gain about 1.04% dodge but lose that much in parry/miss and then more so in block (this is off memory, so I may be off slightly).

Well, a druid out rolled me for Repelling Charge, although I'm still not sure why he wanted it... I'm very happy with the badge trinket. It was easy to get and it's a good chunk of avoidance. Oh shit buttons are always a good thing. :wink:
Falibard

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice