Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

going oom in heroics

Postby niki1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 8:24 pm

basically i go oom alot and dont know if its cuz my gear or what
just want to know what i need to work on
http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... ong&n=Niki
niki1

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:26 pm

can't view armory at work... but here are the reasons why people go OOM in heroics:

Aren't using Blessing of Sanctuary
this is the big one... most pally tanks I see go oom in heroics are making this mistake... sanc is your buff of choice for heroics... unless you so vastly undergear the content that you are taking tons of damage and getting enough mana through SA to not need it (in which case... you are way undergeared)

[b]Aren't tanking enough things[b/]
is your health bar staying full the whole time? not getting back mana from SA from heals? you need to tank more mobs... pull more or stop CCing...

these are the 2 big ones... also - make sure you are using pallyvate every cooldown... it's 1 minute... with this - you should never have mana problems... no matter your gear
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby Spamdrew » Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:40 pm

Also remember that you are the tank. This means that sometimes you have start cutting back on dpsing after you have generated a good threat lead. Remember the second consecrate is a luxury that sometimes you can't afford and don't really need. But yea apart from that sanctuary and pallyvate ftw.
Spamdrew

Postby niki1 » Sat Dec 20, 2008 10:17 pm

ty 4 da davice is der anything i should work on gear wise?
niki1

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:14 pm

No clue since you didn't include a link to your armory.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Threatco » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:26 pm

You could.

Spec Benediction.

Don't spec kings.

Use Judge, bash, hammer, bash, other, bash [repeat] rotation.

Don't forget your mana regen skills.

Cheap BC pots are effective for us.

SA glyph.

Judge light and seal twist wisdom/corruption

Bring shamans, paladins, spriests, mages.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:59 pm

All good ideas from threatco...

I have noticed the biggest killer of my mana regen... even with sanc up... is crowd control

I only crowd control if it's absolutely necessary (read - if not CCing the pull will kill me - haven't found any of them yet as long as your healer is compotent)

basically - CC kills your mana regen... more things hitting you means more damage taken (mana from SA healing) and more things blocked/dodged/parried so more mana from Sanc...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby kp3t3houg » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:34 am

im having the same problem only if i run with Paladin healer. Some of them are using Sacred Shield on me all the time, and the shield absorbs almost 2k dmg every 5 secs, so i basiclt barely take any dmg :)
kp3t3houg

Postby phaqueue » Sun Dec 21, 2008 12:45 am

if you're having the problem with taking too little damage cause of SS - pull more - at worst - you will take a little more damage... but at least it will give you more incoming hits to block/dodge/parry for more mana from sanc
phaqueue

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:10 pm

Benediction/SA Glyph/etc are all known as: Speccing and glyphing for easy content

Then you go do hard content.... and you're specced and glyphed wrong.

I'm about 3 pieces from "full 25-man epics", mostly best-in-slot. And my three "bad pieces" are still epics.

I have no mana efficiency glyphs or talents. I do not go OOM.

How to run heroics you outgear, 101

• Put up Sanctuary instead of Kings.
• Stop using CC.
• Pull more.

The end

If SA+ Sanc aren't returning enough mana, you're not tanking enough. Start tanking more, and taking more damage.

It boggles the mind that people can be going OOM. I never have this problem, and I have better gear than 97.327%† of the people complaining about going OOM. I drink a couple of times per instance, once at the start after buffing, occasionally before a boss, no other time.

† Scientifically tested number I pulled out of my ass.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Holyday » Sun Dec 21, 2008 4:33 pm

All of the above and Divine Plea was a godsend. Use it.
Holyday

Postby azraelfrost » Sun Dec 21, 2008 5:03 pm

Completely agree with Knaughty.

I was used to tanking in BC and got myself 3 stacks of Water-watchamacallit-thingies. That was like 4 weeks ago when I hit 80 and I still have 1 stack and 18 in my inventory. At most I have to drink 4-5 times in an instance - usually when I choose to rebuff or to be at max mana before a boss pull.

Honestly, the WotLK heroics are in no way to compare to the BC heroics. Trash is way easier to take. Bosses hit hard and you should get enough mana from SA, just pull some more trash and and have BoSanc up all the time.

I must admit I actually did specc BoK but it was more that I didn't know what to expect in raid instances that made me specc it and now I am sticking with it as we don't always bring that Retri with us that has it specced too. But if I run instances I never buff myself with anything but BoSanc. (I must admit though that I took Benediction but will think about going back to SotP after the next patch.)
azraelfrost

Postby Mishakal » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:09 pm

Knaughty wrote:Benediction/SA Glyph/etc are all known as: Speccing and glyphing for easy content

Then you go do hard content.... and you're specced and glyphed wrong.

I'm about 3 pieces from "full 25-man epics", mostly best-in-slot. And my three "bad pieces" are still epics.

I have no mana efficiency glyphs or talents. I do not go OOM.

How to run heroics you outgear, 101

• Put up Sanctuary instead of Kings.
• Stop using CC.
• Pull more.

The end

If SA+ Sanc aren't returning enough mana, you're not tanking enough. Start tanking more, and taking more damage.

It boggles the mind that people can be going OOM. I never have this problem, and I have better gear than 97.327%† of the people complaining about going OOM. I drink a couple of times per instance, once at the start after buffing, occasionally before a boss, no other time.

† Scientifically tested number I pulled out of my ass.

After reading this you are also in the top 3% of <insert remark here>. /lol
Mishakal

Postby knaughty » Sun Dec 21, 2008 6:22 pm

Mishakal wrote:After reading this you are also in the top 3% of <insert remark here>. /lol

NOWAI!

I'm easily in the top 1% of elitist arseholes on this board.

About 1500 people actually post here, I'm 21st by post count, and it's debatable that there's a single person in the top-20 who's more of an arse than I am. :twisted:
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Threatco » Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:22 pm

I agree that most (95%) of the time onheroic 5 man content that the 3 things knaughty said is enough. But 5% of the time its not.

3% = To many casters to round up, too few melee attacks.
2% = Many bosses who do too few melee hits and have more spread out aoe damage then focused on the tank (less SA)

First case think the first few pulls of oculus. Nothing but caster dragons who are almost impossible to round up so you have to drop all your highest cost skills to keep aggro.

Second is fights like oh say magistra from nexus. Spend all my time flying around taking magic damage can pinch my mana.

100% agree this is not for 10 or 25 man content. But for people paying their heoric dues its not hard to switch spec and glyphs as needed.

And although debatable I would say you lose next to nothing for getting it the talents/glyph. The best for raid ret talents seem clear but outside of raiding there is alot of flexability with those ret points.

Every time I try to use a spell and I hear my whiney blood elf say "I don't have enough mana!" I go into nerdrage. Preventing this from happening on my endless heroic grinds out weighs possibly being able to survive the same content with lesser healers. I think that is what the OP is thinking too.

So in the end yes, it is easy content speccing. But doesen't mean you shouldent spec it for easy content :wink:
Last edited by Threatco on Sun Dec 21, 2008 9:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice