Remove Advertisements

10 man Maly

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

10 man Maly

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 5:56 am

So my guild just managed to down Malygos 10 man (beating the timer by a scant 30 seconds) and I wasn't able to tank since our warrior tank is 'better geared'. He's sitting at 28.1k hp 20% dodge, 17 parry, 13 block ( i dunno how much his equiv of holy shield adds) with 22k armor... I'm at 27.3k, 22 dodge, 19 parry, 18 block (before holy shield ofc) and 26k armor...

I'm being told that I need to get better gear before I'm able to tank Maly because the hp difference is enough to matter.

I'm following the gearing guides (weapon not enchanted because hoping 75 stam appears asap and its a weak spot atm for chants) but thinkin I must have missed something to be considered so far behind. Saving up badges for the chest, then neck, but Im not sure what else to do since I havn't been lucky with Naxx drops as much as i'd like.

Armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... rstamendme

logged in heroic gear, switch in JC ring for uncrit over the dodge ring

Is there anything I can do to up my gear that I havn't thought of (i have 120 SoH items to turnin once thats made available so the shoulder chant is inc) or is my GM just biased because of that small hp diff?
firstamendme

Postby Pane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:03 am

Our pala tanked it with lesser stats than you, and I was gonna have a go with lesser stats than him. /shrug. It's not a hard encounter; you just need to not-fail at avoiding the fire tsunamis.

Unless you plan on keeping the adds up, then GL to you all. I hear that's the hardest thing you can do in the game right now.
Pane

Postby Targonis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:05 am

At the moment your crittable with 537 Defense, thats bad. You should also get the Emblem of Heroism neck... its amazing. Beyond that your upgrades need to come from 10 mans or 25 mans... and a link to the warriors armory would also help.

With the badge neck and 540 defense you would be fine to tank Malygos. However, the chance for success is always better the better your tank is geared. Malygos is one of those "best geared tank" situations, with warriors at an advantage if they are spec'd for Improved Spell Reflect for phase 2.
Targonis

Postby Targonis » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:07 am

Pane wrote:Our pala tanked it with lesser stats than you, and I was gonna have a go with lesser stats than him. /shrug. It's not a hard encounter; you just need to not-fail at avoiding the fire tsunamis.

Unless you plan on keeping the adds up, then GL to you all. I hear that's the hardest thing you can do in the game right now.

This would be for Sartharion, which is easier. Malygos is all by himself in the Eye of Eternity, and hits very hard (8-9k melee plus 14k arcane breaths) the breaths can't be mitigated by anything you have, so you need the hp's to soak the damage.
Targonis

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:08 am

Targonis wrote:At the moment your crittable with 537 Defense, thats bad. You should also get the Emblem of Heroism neck... its amazing. Beyond that your upgrades need to come from 10 mans or 25 mans... and a link to the warriors armory would also help.

With the badge neck and 540 defense you would be fine to tank Malygos. However, the chance for success is always better the better your tank is geared. Malygos is one of those "best geared tank" situations, with warriors at an advantage if they are spec'd for Improved Spell Reflect for phase 2.

Im not crittable, as I said I logged in my heroic gear. I bring in my JC ring to be above 540.
firstamendme

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:09 am

Targonis wrote:
Pane wrote:Our pala tanked it with lesser stats than you, and I was gonna have a go with lesser stats than him. /shrug. It's not a hard encounter; you just need to not-fail at avoiding the fire tsunamis.

This would be for Sartharion, which is easier. Malygos is all by himself in the Eye of Eternity, and hits very hard (8-9k melee plus 14k arcane breaths) the breaths can't be mitigated by anything you have, so you need the hp's to soak the damage.

is 800 HP really that signifigant a difference?
firstamendme

Postby Pane » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:20 am

Targonis wrote:

Ack, you're right. I fail at reading.
Pane

Postby Rhiannon » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:22 am

Well, on a typical melee boss your hp difference will be eaten up as soon as you're at 102.4% due to your max possible burst being ~3k lower than his (if he fails to avoid/block 2 hits in a row while you're at least blocking every single one) so straight hp comparison is meaningless without a mind to how the mechanics of each class work. So your raid leader, or whoever's telling you this, really needs to work on his understanding of tank mechanics, or ask himself why he's not using druids to the exclusion of every other tank class. edit: I take that back given the context is malygos, where more hp is definitely a big plus.

That said, a large portion of Malygos' damage is magical and can't be avoided or mitigated in such a way.

Looking at a WWS parse from last night (our progression kill on him):

22:25'50.422 Malygos melee swing hits Rhiannon for 7956 Physical. (1325 Blocked)
22:25'52.188 Malygos Arcane Storm hits Rhiannon for 7042 Arcane. (2054 Resisted)
22:25'53.672 Malygos Arcane Breath hits Rhiannon for 16289 #UNKNOWN.
22:25'53.672 Rhiannon is afflicted by Arcane Breath.
22:25'55.860 Malygos melee swing hits Rhiannon for 7809 Physical. (1325 Blocked)

As you can see, the storm + breath are the big spike and what you need to worry about really - consequently I threw on two stam trinkets, ditched my naxx 25 block boots for the lolstam blacksmith boots. I never really felt in too much danger and none of our wipes were due to tank death, but generally from hitting the enrage due to not knowing the encounter at all. Raid buffed my hp was at 37k hp or so, I don't think I'd have been in significantly more danger with one fewer stam buff though. The resistance + stats from gotw was very handy though.
Last edited by Rhiannon on Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:25 am, edited 3 times in total.
Rhiannon

Re: 10 man Maly

Postby lythac » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:24 am

firstamendme wrote:Is there anything I can do to up my gear that I havn't thought of

+22sta to boots, is pretty cheap
+22def to chest

I'm sure you have thought of it, but what are your plans for your JC gems? There is a reg socket on your legs just waiting to be filled with a +41sta/+27def gem.

Doing those 2 enchants and 1 gem results in -

+22def
+29sta
-8dodge

Added benefit is you also go above 540 def and can wear your dodge ring for raiding if you prefer.
Ryshad / Lythac of <Heretic> Nagrand-EU
lythac

Re: 10 man Maly

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:35 am

Lythac wrote:
firstamendme wrote:Is there anything I can do to up my gear that I havn't thought of

+22sta to boots, is pretty cheap
+22def to chest

I'm sure you have thought of it, but what are your plans for your JC gems? There is a reg socket on your legs just waiting to be filled with a +41sta/+27def gem.

Doing those 2 enchants and 1 gem results in -

+22def
+29sta
-8dodge

Added benefit is you also go above 540 def and can wear your dodge ring for raiding if you prefer.

I've been waiting for the 27 def gem ( i have the pattern) but i've been forced to spend all my daily trinkets on patterns for the guild and there are never any dragon's eyes on the AH :(

Thanks for that parse link, im not at ~102.4 yet but close.

Chest not chanted because im 2 badges from T7, and boots have tuskar's but i dunno why its not showing up in armory.

Looks like it will just be me trying to convince my RL that my BV adds into my EH for the physical, and 800 unbuffed hp is probably nothing after buffs do to scaling....

thx for the info :P
firstamendme

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 6:36 am

Actually I think the biggest hurdle now will be convincing my guild to wipe 1-2 times to let me learn how to tank it instead of taking the war who's done it a few times ><
firstamendme

Postby Aurelie » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:06 am

I tanked it just fine yesterday. Not once did I take a hit big enough that the healers couldn't catch up. If he accidentally ate a spark (doing it with no DKs can suck) I just Bubblewalled it. Tbh, the small discrepancy in health is a ridiculous reason to not let you tank.

This was my first time tanking him and we didn't have any wipes until we got to phase three, which doesn't involve my tanking at all. Just follow the strat, make sure the raid runs where they're supposed to and you run where you need to be and I doubt you'll have much of a tanking learning curve to deal with.
Aurelie
Maintankadonor

Postby Karador » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:43 am

Your stats should be fine. Yea he hits hard but nothing that your stats can not handle.

As far as the 800 HP difference in you and him..... /facepalm

Not even an issue. Anyone who thinks it is or says it is is a moron.

Your threat ( if you are both the same skill level ) should be way higher than his which makes a huge difference on fights like that where you can not build threat every second of the fight.

The " Tanking Learning Curve " for this fight looks like this

*Pull*------------------------------------*Phase 2* Pretty much one of the easiest fights to tank in the game imo. Just spin his back leg to be near the spark patch your DPS is standing in.
Karador

Postby firstamendme » Tue Dec 16, 2008 7:51 am

The threat issue was actually another concern as our dps isn't completely geared out yet and threat capping will definetely wipe us.

Thanks for the support, sometimes I doubt my gear level as this only became my main for the end of TBC/wrath and I fear I'm still a little green when it comes to stats even with all the reading I do on this amazing site.
firstamendme

Postby majiben » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:28 am

Your reported armor count is much higher which leads me to believe that you may be including dev aura in your calculations for yourself.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice