T7 is murdering me

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

T7 is murdering me

Postby Lewid » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:54 pm

Every time I get a T7 upgrade I end up having to make silly replacements that cut my def rating in half, despite the relative gain in mitigation and stats. After winning the gloves I had to regem entirely, and pretty soon I'll have to ditch any stamina gemming at all to stay above the line of uncrit. Anyone else having troubles with this?
Lewid

Postby Kensu » Sun Dec 14, 2008 11:45 pm

Yes and no, whenever I get a purple upgrade it seems that the Defense rating is lower than the blue item I prior to it. However the purple items have Sockets in them normally so its a simple fix for me to just gem them for defense and I am good. I do see how it would be easy to get items that would drop your defense rating too low however. I think I just lucked out for the most part when I got my upgrades... that and the JC BoP gems are easy to swap out to fix my defense when I need it.
Kensu

Postby HinataDestiny » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:04 am

Blizz doesnt want Tankadins to look like power rangers so they made the crafted pure defense gear have great amounts of defense and than they made the T7 have better overall stats at the sac of defense. Stam isnt our main issue anymore its def
Retired Wowhead since Feb 14th 2009

A4 - Anime Forums - Your Place to Talk Anime

Playing: Halo(Heroic), Halo 2(Heroic), Ill let you know if/when I get to legendary.
HinataDestiny

Postby Sonic » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:35 am

This is why I always try to pre-gear for what my set upgrades will be.

Really though, blizz has set it up so that certian peices will boot you up to the def cap real quick but you lose out on a good chunk of mitagation. At the start of WotLK raiding you don't have it all like we did back with badge gear and stuff in BC. It's a trade off, and you won't have the godlike tankign stats we did last time untill much much later if even that.

Really though, you need to look at the epic tank gear as a full set incluting non-t7 slots. Once you have everything you're defence sits pretty good to where you can simply choose a couple slots to enchant for defence then gem for stam in the rest if you so wish.
Sonic

Postby Janduin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:08 am

Sonic wrote: At the start of WotLK raiding you don't have it all like we did back with badge gear and stuff in BC. It's a trade off, and you won't have the godlike tankign stats we did last time untill much much later if even that.

First round of badge gear in BC was considerably worse than the items you can get now in Wrath from badges. I don't remember precisely, but it was like HS Libram and that was it. Expect more badge gear when there is another tier or 2 of raids in the game...the whole point of badge gear in TBC was to lessen the amount of time someone takes to be able to participate in the current progression-level tier. With only the entry-level raids available, I am frankly surprised there is as much badge gear as there is.
Janduin

Postby Belloc » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:11 am

The defense trinket and defense enchants (head, shoulders, chest, shield) go a LONG way towards hitting the minimum.
Belloc

Postby Crathus » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:20 am

I feel the pain also...

Got T7 Shoulders last night as well as the gloves from Faerlina. The T7 was fine with +3 defense over Pauldrons of the Colossus, but...

Daunting Handguards: 71def + 16def gem = 87 Def
Gauntlets of the Master: 38def + 16def gem = 54 Def

That was a huge ding to my defense, bring back down to exactly 540. I am only a few badge away from T7 Chest, but the defense loss from Breastplate of the Solemn Council is going to drop me below 540, with gemming two 16def gems in T7...

T7 Chest: 38def + x2 16def gem + 22def enchant = 92
Breastplate of the Solemn Council: 76def + 22def enchant = 98

I think it will all become a non-issue if I can get my hands on a WotLK Def trinket like Seal of the Pantheon. That will create a nice cushion in the defense department.

Note: Blacksmithing is worth every piece of copper; I wouldn't know what to do without the extra sockets :P

When an unstoppable force meets an immovable object...
Crathus

Postby Lewid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:05 am

Crathus wrote:I feel the pain also...

Got T7 Shoulders last night as well as the gloves from Faerlina. The T7 was fine with +3 defense over Pauldrons of the Colossus, but...

Daunting Handguards: 71def + 16def gem = 87 Def
Gauntlets of the Master: 38def + 16def gem = 54 Def

That was a huge ding to my defense, bring back down to exactly 540. I am only a few badge away from T7 Chest, but the defense loss from Breastplate of the Solemn Council is going to drop me below 540, with gemming two 16def gems in T7...

T7 Chest: 38def + x2 16def gem + 22def enchant = 92
Breastplate of the Solemn Council: 76def + 22def enchant = 98

I think it will all become a non-issue if I can get my hands on a WotLK Def trinket like Seal of the Pantheon. That will create a nice cushion in the defense department.

Note: Blacksmithing is worth every piece of copper; I wouldn't know what to do without the extra sockets :P

Yeah, I'm just glad I'm a JC, keeping the cap up would be a lot harder with the huge def rating gems to fall back on. Even still it is going to be frustrating to have regem in only one direction. I guess that is just the burden we have to accept right now.

I'd drop alchemy for blacksmithing, but I really like my 4 hour 1k hp flasks :)
Lewid

Postby plisken451 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:49 am

Crathus wrote:I feel the pain also...

^ This. If I didn't have the two extra sockets, I'd be dyin'. Had to rejigger my setup after winning the T7 shoulders (FUGLY) and chest.
ImageRetired

Mirraluun - Asmodian Chanter - Fregion Server - Eated by hackers
plisken451

Postby Maihes » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:35 pm

Keep in mind DKs have it far worse on defense capping.
Maihes

Postby Spectrum » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:55 pm

I've been having this issue just lately. I picked up the necklace and belt from Naxx that are a lot of block-related stats. They're an overall upgrade, but my defense dropped. I'll probably pick up the chest soon, so that's another drop for overall better stats.

I think in a way this could be slightly positive in that it makes our gemming interesting. We can't just gem all stamina anymore.
Spectrum
Maintankadonor

Postby Mikasha » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:58 pm

I've been pretty much gemmin T7 to go with the socket bonus's. Crossing my fingers for the naxx def trinket, cap is gettin tight.
Mikasha

Postby tbolt » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:05 pm

Maihes wrote:Keep in mind DKs have it far worse on defense capping.

Aren't they getting a sigil in the next patch that gives them 25 defense SKILL and a defense enchant to their weapon with runeforging? I don't know how much worse they're going to have it afterward.
tbolt

Postby Fridmarr » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:15 pm

Tbolt wrote:
Maihes wrote:Keep in mind DKs have it far worse on defense capping.

Aren't they getting a sigil in the next patch that gives them 25 defense SKILL and a defense enchant to their weapon with runeforging? I don't know how much worse they're going to have it afterward.

Yeah, I'm sure that will help, but it's still probably a month away at least, which is quite a while to be fighting that issue.

It seems to me, that blizzard was maybe a little too quick to start putting +hit and +expertise on gear when tanks tend to have pretty high baseline threat compared to DPS, when that could have made hitting uncritable bit easier.

I don't really remember seeing as much (granted expertise didn't exist) on Kara level tank gear, but it became needed in higher tiers as DPS got geared better.
Fridmarr
Global Mod

Postby Lewid » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:52 pm

yeah, i don't envy DK's right now.. there are a lot of misc non-set drops with shield block or block value... and as much as I love those items, I sympathize with the dk cause. Still, minus one slot isnt that big a deal, it just makes the balancing act that much harder.

I think you will be lucky if they remember to consistently design enough gear without block for you DKs.
Lewid

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice