Goddamn shields...

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

Which would you take? (Leaving out looks)

Titansteel Shield Wall
18%
Royal Crest of Lordaeron
53%
Crygil's Discarded Plate Panel
29%

Total votes : 68

Goddamn shields...

Postby Kelarik » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:00 pm

I've hit a wall... a mostly flat wall made from sheet titansteel...

I've got 2 shields at my disposal (and a potential 3rd) but I've got absolutely no idea which to go with. Titansteel Shield Wall, Royal Crest of Lordaeron (dropped tonight, yeay!), and I've enough spare badges to take Crygil's Discarded Plate Panel.

There's next to nothing between all these in terms of stats. They all have the same armour and block, Crygil's has the exact same Stamina and Strength as the Royal Crest, where Titansteel's down 2 Strength and 6 Stamina.

Then when you look at mitigation, Titansteel has the most defense (64), then Crest (49), and Crygil last (34). Crygil's is the only that offers pure avoidance in the form of 33 Dodge rating, while both Crygil's and Crest offer 25 hit rating.

I'm slightly leaning towards Crygil's because of the extra avoidance since I'm uncrittable with all of them, but is it really worth 35 badges when T7 gloves and chest still have to be bought?

I'm lost -.-
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby aleyona » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:35 pm

This is really a simple choice. Royal crest has more stam, and more avoidance than titansteel. titansteel is great if you need the defense to hit Minimum - but if you don't have that issue there's not much point.

As for Crygil's well... it's just a waste of badges imo

Please stop the spread of misinformation by using the the term "Defense cap." There is no cap, just a minimum -Majiben
aleyona

Postby Invisusira » Sun Dec 14, 2008 8:37 pm

The BS shield
The heroic Strat shield
The badge shield
The 10m Nax shield

All four of these shields are basically equal. You simply go with whichever one gives you what you need. Want more defense? Towards the top of the list. More block cap and threat? Go towards the bottom.
Invisusira

Postby rodos » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:18 pm

Well, you already have two very-nice-for-the-ilevel shields. Spending badges on a third seems silly. Unless your gloves and chest are already good, buying the T7 pieces would probably be more bang-per-badge.
rodos

Postby Veilan » Sun Dec 14, 2008 10:24 pm

Started using Titansteel, then moved to Lordaeron as it dropped (note: getting Titansteel forged guarantees a Lordaeron drop within the next 1-2 days) as I was comfortable with the def, and I would move to the badge shield over the Lordaeron one if I hadn't just wasted my badges on this yummy staff. With this formula, I wager it'll make love to me long time :shock:.

So, option three.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby Threatco » Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:36 am

I lost count of my H strat runs and still like 5 "greeds" and a couple others but no shield!

/slit wrists
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby Saeverud » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:11 am

I found Crygil's to be more useful for myself. I didn't need the extra defense, and Crygil's offered more pure avoidance than the Lordaeron shield. I also had issues getting the Lordaeron crest to drop, so spending the ample supply of badges for it was alot easier. Titansteel shield is pretty crap unless you're severely lacking in defense.
Saeverud

Postby MrDuck » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:12 am

Royal crest, definitely.

Simply 'cos it looks so great, i have lotsa badges to spare, got my T7 gloves+chest, yet i just can't go and replace the uber uber leet "L" on tha shield :>
MrDuck

Postby Gamingdevil » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:58 am

In terms of avoidance the Discarded Panel is definately the best, but if you still have to buy T7, then you should get those first and use the Royal Crest for now.
If it is weak, kill it before it gets stronger. If it is strong, weaken it.
Gamingdevil

Postby degre » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:41 am

Whatever please your eyes, cause there are plenty of ugly shields afterwards... -.-'

Invis covered the serious part pretty well, 'nuff said.
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby Barathorn » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 am

Saeverud wrote:Titansteel shield is pretty crap unless you're severely lacking in defense.

I disagree, its a guarenteed item, no waiting on Random loot and it has huge defence, which when you start moving into T7 gear you will need due to T7 having more avoidance and less defence. Dismiss this shield at your peril for that reason alone. I picked it straight away as I considered it easy to get and it has the best longevity as far as I am concerned.

I think Titansteel is the safest bet personally, but I also agree with Invis in that everyone's situation and needs are different.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby ulushnar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:39 am

The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby degre » Mon Dec 15, 2008 6:41 am

Ulushnar wrote:The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.

Stop wearing your skirt with this weather, it distracts you :P
On EU-Kadghar: Degre | Beldegre | Degrotto | Koshien | Sousuke
degre

Postby ulushnar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:29 am

degre wrote:
Ulushnar wrote:The Titansteel Shield Wall is the best use of Titansteel for a Tankadin. It's a healthy chunk of +defense which lets me swap the Loken trinket for the Lavanthor one to help with block-capping. The fact you can get it as soon as you hit 70 without relying on the RNG makes it just awesome.

Stop wearing your skirt with this weather, it distracts you :P

Thank you. Your input is both valued and insightful.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Macktruck » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:38 am

[quote="degre"]Whatever please your eyes, cause there are plenty of ugly shields afterwards... -.-'
[quote]

Sry but Hero's Surrender is the best looking shield. Don't be spreading lies lol.

I made the titansteel shield wall when I was ~78 and equipped it the second I hit 80. Shields always of course provide the biggest chunks of armor, and I upgraded from KHH. I net increase of ~2k armor was huge. Plus the fact that it's craftable and it is very useful until you get a better shield. It's worth every penny starting out.

I would definitely go with Lordaeron's Crest for two reasons:

1. I'm guessing you're currently not running Naxx or do not want to wait for the drops (You wanna guarantee the loot and not rely on RNG).

2. Badges can be spent elsewhere. Ignore the ~1% dodge on the Crygil's. Spend your badges elsewhere. Get your shield upgrade from Naxx if you can.
Last edited by Macktruck on Mon Dec 15, 2008 12:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Macktruck

Postby towelliee » Mon Dec 15, 2008 11:09 am

Heros Surrender and Skull of Ruin FTW.

I used the Royal Loredan Shield until I got Heros Surrender.
towelliee

Postby Pelendralaar » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:20 pm

you answered your own question when you said the royal crest dropped. That's money and badges you saved by having that drop, spend the badges on another upgrade and use the opportunity costs you have now saved not having to pay for or craft titansteel wall on something else.
Pelendralaar

Postby Lore » Mon Dec 15, 2008 1:29 pm

Handful of notes:

1. Royal Crest of Lordaeron does NOT have more avoidance than Titansteel Shield Wall. I'm not sure where it's coming from, but that's the second time today I've seen someone say it does >.>

2. All three are relatively equal to the point that I doubt you'd notice the difference regardless. I'd suggest following Pelendralaar's advice and just saving your badges and gold.

3. Even past the Defense minimum, it's the best avoidance stat to stack until you hit the block cap (including diminishing returns, which means you need something around 110% off the top of my head).

Lore how could you spread the misinformation? Defense minimum never a cap. This is a sad day :cry: - Majiben
Lore
Global Mod

Postby Eanin » Mon Dec 15, 2008 2:17 pm

Just for the record...having a Titansteel Shield Wall crafted does not in fact guarantee that the Lordaeron shield will drop, especially if you are an exceptionally vain Blood Elf who really just wants it for the looks.
Eanin

Postby Eleveneleven » Mon Dec 15, 2008 4:18 pm

Lore wrote:Lore how could you spread the misinformation? Defense minimum never a cap. This is a sad day :cry: - Majiben

Defense has a SOFT cap, which is defined at the point where it no longer effectively reduces crit chance on the mob +3 levels above you. If someone just says defense cap, do not assume they are meaning a HARD cap, unless they actually think it's useless to go beyond 540. If you were to read Lore's post correctly, you would see that he obviously knows that def is soft capped at 540. There is NOTHING wrong with the term cap as long as it doesn't follow the word hard.
Eleveneleven

Postby majiben » Mon Dec 15, 2008 5:07 pm

Eleveneleven wrote:
Lore wrote:Lore how could you spread the misinformation? Defense minimum never a cap. This is a sad day :cry: - Majiben

Defense has a SOFT cap, which is defined at the point where it no longer effectively reduces crit chance on the mob +3 levels above you. If someone just says defense cap, do not assume they are meaning a HARD cap, unless they actually think it's useless to go beyond 540. If you were to read Lore's post correctly, you would see that he obviously knows that def is soft capped at 540. There is NOTHING wrong with the term cap as long as it doesn't follow the word hard.
Actually there is an issue with the term for ever being used. It carries misconceptions with it that are damaging to new tanks and tanks who don't frequent theory crafting sites. I'm sure there are more "tanks" out there that think going past 540 is bad than there are those actually aware of the mechanics. I have nothing wrong with the term crit cap but I will fight the usage of crit cap tooth and nail for the health of the tanking community. I'm sure it was a slip of the tounge (finger?) for lore to use the term but it was damaging for him to do so exspecially as a tanking celebrity that many look up to.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Dazhbog » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:27 pm

I personally use the Discarded Panel because a) Lordaeron never dropped, b) I was saving titanium for goggles, and c) we were running heroics like MAD, so badges weren't a problem. The extra avoidance combined with the +hit (bit of threat) have stood me in very good stead, enough so that I passed a Hero's Surrender to our warrior since he needed the upgrade (I'll take the next one though ;) ).
Dazhbog

Postby Kelarik » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:58 pm

I've pretty much decided to stick with the Crest (though I hate the fact it takes durability damage... stop damaging my pretty shield!), but I'm keeping my Titansteel Wall in the bank just in case my defense drops when I pick up the T7 gloves and chest. Couldn't be bothered calculating how much defense I'd lose compared to my current gear factoring in enchants and gems so I figured it'd be easier to just wait and see.

I do wish the Crest had a little glow of some form, I liked the energy going into my Wall...

Also, love the engineering goggles and 81 stamina trinkets... but once I get an equivalent helm, I'm dropping it and going JC/BS, with Mining going on an alt where JC currently is.
Kelarik

Location: In front of the boss eating a chocolate cornet. Now, which side's the head?

Postby Treck » Tue Dec 16, 2008 12:05 am

Sry but Hero's Surrender is the best looking shield. Don't be spreading lies lol.

Cardoor of Azzinoth is STILL the no1 for looks!
Maly shield is a fair equivalent.
Altho, Pure statwise, Hero's Surrender wins for Pallytanks imo. Its hardly a shield, tbh would have thoughtit would be some offhand for mages/warlocks if i didnt know it was a shield.
Atleast give us a huge 90degree turned shield in Ulduar then!
Treck

Postby Petrus » Tue Dec 16, 2008 2:47 am

I'd go with Titansteel myself. I got that and the Royal Crest but dropped them both for my Wall of Terror in the end.

As for the "Defense Cap" falsehood, I prefer to say "uncrittable" because that's the point of 540 anyway. Beyond that we're talking about Defense as a good avoidance (dodge/parry/miss)/mitigation(block) stat to stack,
Petrus
Maintankadonor

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice