When did you start Heroics? (Poll)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Sabindeus, Aergis, lythac, Digren, majiben

When did you start Heroics?

As soon as I hit 80, wearing whatever gear I happened to have.
54%
Once I hit 540 Defense, don't want to get crit!
27%
I waited until I was as geared as I could be from quests and crafted items.
11%
None of the above - let me explain in a post.
8%

Total votes : 151

Postby Digren » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:22 pm

I did my first heroic last night, summoned to it seconds after getting an enchant that put me at 535 defense.

I've been 80 for a while, but refused to run a heroic when it could make me look bad. I'm known to be a king among tanks for surviving longer than everyone else (thanks to some key boss fights over the past few years when I've been the only tank or only player alive with no healers for extended periods, and managed to hold on to win). Why hurt my rep even among friends?
Digren

Postby Pallypete » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:48 pm

I hit heroics as soon as I hit 80, but I had goggles + titansteel shield and boots, plus pretty well all the BOE tank gear there is waiting for me enchanted in my bank. I hate trying to run instances I can barely survive if I have gear options available to me that just require some gold or farming.
Pallypete

Postby knaughty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 5:54 pm

Pallypete wrote:I hit heroics as soon as I hit 80, but I had goggles + titansteel shield and boots, plus pretty well all the BOE tank gear there is waiting for me enchanted in my bank. I hate trying to run instances I can barely survive if I have gear options available to me that just require some gold or farming.

This.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Zoltar » Wed Dec 10, 2008 6:33 pm

Yeah I had all the craftables made, enchanted and in my bank. I hit 80, went to the trainer to tweak my spec and get the 80 talents, followed by the bank to get my gear out, vendored the crap I was wearing, grabbed my healer, advertised in /g for 3 DPS and went to H-Strat.
Zoltar

Postby knaughty » Wed Dec 10, 2008 7:05 pm

Zoltar wrote:Yeah I had all the craftables made, enchanted and in my bank. I hit 80, went to the trainer to tweak my spec and get the 80 talents, followed by the bank to get my gear out, vendored the crap I was wearing, grabbed my healer, advertised in /g for 3 DPS and went to H-Strat.

Mine wasn't even enchanted, because our enchanters hadn't reached the required rep/quest/skill levels.

And I'm not putting expensive enchants on pre-raid gear.

Some of my gear still isn't enchanted. EG: Keep forgetting to buy a head enchant. The content basically doesn't require it, I'm not going to bother until I have "best in slot", and that is simply in prep for zerging Uldaur.
This isn't the "Offtankadin" forum. My MoP FAQ: http://tinyurl.com/FAQ-5-0
- Knaughty.
knaughty
Maintankadonor

Location: Sydney, plotting my next diatribe against the forces of ignorance!

Postby Mishakal » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:23 pm

The moment I dinged 80 I was ready for heroics, that was only yesterday, 21K HP, 21K Armor, 560 Def ... So ready for Heroics, but tanking 10 mans tonight instead.
Mishakal

Postby Fedaykin98 » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:08 pm

I am now happy to report that I can contribute to my own thread. :)

I hit 80 last night, bought my new spells (still haven't remembered to spend that last talent point XD), and started gemming/enchanting for Def.

I was still wearing a ton of BC epics and had waaaaaaaaay less than 500 Def, to say nothing of 535. I swapped several of those out for quest/rep/crafted blues that were in my bank. Got the three Wrath Def enchants. Got the Honored inscription from Sons of Hodir (cheaper on Blackhand than the Exalted with Scryer). I was gemming with uncommon quality gems because I didn't want to break the bank on items that are soon to be replaced. Somewhere during all of this, a guildie offered 3 belt buckles to whomever wanted them. I took one and threw it on my belt, socketing it for Def as well.

When all was said and done, I was at around 527 Defense. I had enchanted everything pretty well except my helm - I'm very close to revered with AC, and didn't want to go to CoT and blow a bunch of gold for their much less sexy version.

I figured what the heck, the best way to get that last 4000 rep to revered is to run instances anyway - and I was going to get 5 more Defense skill naturally just by getting beaten up. So I walked into Heroic Violet Hold with about 527 Def and 20.7k hp unbuffed.

Piece of cake. ;)

We even got the Voidwalker and kiting bosses. No deaths except my wife's pet, which pulled aggro every time the final boss teleported us, and died twice on that fight. My wife got the epic gloves for her trouble, though.

As soon as I hit Revered with AC I'll enchant my helm and switch up to Wyrmrest - they still have a chest and boots for me.

Thanks for all the input - we'll hopefully be running a bunch of these tonight.
Fedaykin98

Postby Songblade » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:50 pm

I hit Heroic Strat as soon as I hit 80. I had 471 defense, and about 19k health. It was crazy. We ended up having to 2 tank it in order to clear the instance, but it was worth it, as I got 3 upgrades in there.

[Insert witty comment here]
Songblade

Postby Liquidant » Fri Dec 12, 2008 7:54 am

working on defense and enchants seeing as i never got chance to run
much in BC due to starting the pally and letting the rogue slip to one side..

So even though i'm commfortable running regular i'm still a bit scared to hit the heroics just in case i fail even though i'm gagging to.

still so much for me to learn

this is me now

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Magtheridon&n=Liquidant
Liquidant

Postby Monteverdi » Sat Dec 13, 2008 11:53 pm

I answered none of the above, but the better answer would have been all of the above. It isn't hard to be in all blues and have 535 or higher def right at the time you hit 80, especially if you had a decent set of gear to start with pre-Wrath. plus, if you'd been saving mats you've probably already got at least one set of crafted gear (if you're like me and leveled blacksmithing as you went, you should find that the level 78-ish blues help you level plus help you a lot in terms of def)
Monteverdi

Postby Doogiehowser » Mon Dec 15, 2008 8:52 am

Heroics? What are those?

Still "scrubbing" along at 76. Hopefully will be 77 this week...
Doogiehowser

Postby Logane » Mon Dec 15, 2008 9:44 am

I voted as soon as I hit 80, but in reality, it's a mixed bag. I dinged 80, got into a H Ahn'Kahet group and ran it. That was roughly 534 defense and 18.5 unbuffed health ( about 23k armor ). It was dicey at points, but overall a good run. Since then, however, I've been working on raising my HP, seeing as how I basically have to tell everyone what my stats are, get invited to the group, get to the instance, and then have at least 1 or 2 people leave before zoning in because my HP is too low. I got tired of that happening, and am now looking to make my future a bit smoother.
Logane

Postby Odius » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:03 am

As soon as I hit 80 this week I'll be diving into heroics head first. I've already got 2-3 healers in my pocket and my DPS friends are going spastic that I'm taking so long to level. We're all smart players and understand that you can't always lolchainpull. Can't wait!
Odius
Maintankadonor

Postby Fedaykin98 » Mon Dec 15, 2008 10:39 am

More thoughts on the difficulties of various heroics. For reference, I'm sitting at 550 Def, 23.4k unbuffed hp.

Utgarde Keep and The Nexus seem to be the two easiest (of the ones that I have run).

Violet Hold can be easy depending on the bosses you get. The water boss and the kiting boss are the worst for me. Kiting boss - seems like the only way to beat him is to kite him around the balcony. You apparently have to keep him (or yourselves, maybe) out of line of sight with his orbs, or they teleport and insta-wipe you. We start fighting him on the steps he spawns near, and then start kiting when he starts summoning the orbs. I've found that just backing up the whole time may be too slow - I eventually just turn around and run. Free shots at my back, but he doesn't hit hard at all.

I've only run Pinnacle once and it was super easy. We one-shotted everything but the final boss; got him on the 2nd try. Old Strat is pretty easy as well.

Azjol-Nerub - the last boss is a nightmare AFAIK. I've fought him at least 10 times and only beaten him once in all those attempts. Seems like the healer's mana regen and the DPSers killing adds quickly might be the key? It's tough.

Old Kingdom - we went into this one yesterday. No one in the group had done it on normal. For the first hour, we were giddy with the fun of exploration. It was like playing a different game entirely. We did cheat and read up on bosses. The 2nd boss took 3 tries. The 3rd boss took 4 or so - you really, really have to DPS the adds ultra fast. The final boss is a lot of fun, casting that Insanity debuff which is hysterical, where you fight copies of your party. Our poor hunter was quickly killed by the copies of our DK and Rogue - she couldn't get to range. I tanked my DK and rogue to nothing in no time flat, and then had to stun our healer while I killed my wife's (!) hunter. We lost another member along the way, but the actual boss phase is nothing. You don't have to fight members of your party who are dead, so the second insanity phase went really fast and we 3-manned the boss down with no trouble. And the heroic bonus boss was laughable. This is a really long instance, and probably will be even now that we know how to do it.

I haven't run Gundrak on heroic yet, and haven't run Draktheron Keep, The Occulus, nor either Halls of _________ on any difficulty.

I'd recommend someone just starting heroics to prioritize VH, Pinnacle, and Old Strat for the great epics you can get, as well as UK and Nexus for badges - and the Nexus has a good helm, too.
Fedaykin98

Postby TheBaldGuy » Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:06 pm

Fedaykin98 wrote:I haven't run Gundrak on heroic yet, and haven't run Draktheron Keep, The Occulus, nor either Halls of _________ on any difficulty.

I'd recommend someone just starting heroics to prioritize VH, Pinnacle, and Old Strat for the great epics you can get, as well as UK and Nexus for badges - and the Nexus has a good helm, too.

I hit 80 and that day was tanking Heroic Oculus. At 514 defense, and well lets not talk about how "much" health I had. Only died once the first trash area (someone pulled the next group during the fight) and once on the ring boss - the rest were on the drakes on the final boss.

That said .... I'd prioritize mostly the same way:

Nexus, VH, Utgarde, and CoS. If you've got a few hours at a time, in that order. Hit Nexus, hearth, hit VH. Fly to Utgarde and do Keep and Pinnacle. hearth, Culling of Stratholme. If your hearth isn't up, and someone has the key, go do Onyxia, then hearth back to Dalran.

A few runs through that sequence and you'll have the badges for some nice upgrades such as the Libram of Obstruction (15, so first cycle) and the badge neckpiece (40, so maybe the third run). If you are lucky you could also have the Helm, Shield, Sword, Legplates, a proto-drake, and Lavanthor's item. No, that didn't happen for me. :( I'l still waiting for every damned one of those. Well, maybe not the shield, I made the TSW. Curiously, it still has not dropped.

Oh, and you'll earn something like 8000 rep per cycle. I'd say Argent Crusade and/or Wyrmwrest would be good first choices.
TheBaldGuy

Postby Tiranknight » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:13 am

I waited a little bit after I turned 80, but not too long I bought some of the daunting pieces, and I'm pretty sure I had the Titansteel Shieldwall crafted before I stepped foot into my first Heroic.
Tiranknight

Postby amh » Thu Dec 18, 2008 4:34 am

As soon as I hit 80, wearing whatever gear I happened to have, which incidentally got me to 540.. before i leveled up defense-skill.

>.>

<.<

-_-
I used to play a paladin.
amh
Maintankadonor

Postby Thels » Thu Dec 18, 2008 6:09 am

I started running heroics the moment I hit 80, even without respeccing to Prot :P

Reason was that we wanted to do a bunch of runs with a tightknit group, and the other tank of the guild happened to be in the same group as well, so instead of running instances with 2 tanks and 3 healers, we had some of the people remain DPS specced for the sake of a couple of Heroic runs.

I ran my first heroic (pug) with 528 defense, 20k5 health with kings and 20kish armor. Went fine.
ImageImage
Thels

Previous

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice