Titansteel. Do I need it?

Yes!
52%
Drop it like it's hot!
48%

Total votes : 27

Titansteel. Do I need it?

Postby Threatco » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:20 am

So I'm a miner and I can make this stuff my self. Not sure if I need it or should just sell the cool downs. The purple shield seems like it's expensive enough to just wait for a better one from something else.
Last edited by Threatco on Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Guild Leader of <Oblivion> on Arthas (PvP) US.
Glory of the Icecrown Raider 10 man 03/18/10
Glory of the Ulduar Raider 10 man 08/17/09.
Limitation strictly defined by motivation.
Threatco

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:41 am

Just picked up my titansteel Ret stuff (mace, helm, boots)

Still debating on the tanking gear tho... I really don't like the fact that the helm doesn't have a meta socket... and I picked up the shield from Heroic: CoT Strath... so I don't really see the point to the titansteel shield either...

I think it's definitely possible to replace the Titansteel tanking stuff pretty easily... so I would say sell the cooldown while it's expensive (or get the mats, make and sell bars) then when the rush dies some - if you still want the gear... pick it up at that time...

there's definitely some good gold to be made selling the bars on my server...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby HinataDestiny » Sat Dec 06, 2008 3:47 am

The tanking stuff is really nice for getting 540 Def faster than the blues but you will be looking at downgrades on defense from the epics you will see
Retired Wowhead since Feb 14th 2009

A4 - Anime Forums - Your Place to Talk Anime

Playing: Halo(Heroic), Halo 2(Heroic), Ill let you know if/when I get to legendary.
HinataDestiny

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:06 am

Completely worth it. See if there are any friendly miners /BS in your guild too. What I did was give three of my CDs to another tank in the guild who in turn gave me 5 of his which helped both of us gear up faster than if we had gone in alone. He was 80 already while I was still leveling when this deal was struck.

The titansteel pieces have less than their tempered saronite counter parts but are a huge boost to stamina and armor. Use all the wotlk armor enchants and it shouldn't be an issue.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby phaqueue » Sat Dec 06, 2008 4:44 am

Seen somewhere arcane shielded helm ranked higher that Titansteel tanking helm... thoughts?

I'm pretty sure it has at least in part to do with the meta slot on the arcane (IIRC it has a meta slot)

what is the general consensus on the stats needed to overcome the lack of a meta socket?

just wondering...
"Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so." -Douglas Adams
phaqueue

Postby majiben » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:28 am

If gemmed properly the arcane shielded helm is better over all by a small margin. Of course part of the issue is that one is a drop and the other is crafted.
majiben

Postby Lewyn » Sat Dec 06, 2008 5:45 pm

made my shield the day I hit 440 and I never looked back. But that's because I have horrible luck with drops and haven't seen the shield drop yet in CoS even though I've done it nearly everyday.
Lewyn

Postby Veilan » Sat Dec 06, 2008 7:34 pm

The titansteel shield was my first WotlK epic. In hindsight, it feels I only had it crafted to guarantee the Strath shield to drop. Such are the laws of probability.

I find the titansteel gear generally useful for a little later than just 80, when you have the defense covered, and the armour and stamina becomes really neat.
Ythalaine - Die Aldor EU
Veilan

Postby kenshin648 » Sat Dec 06, 2008 11:46 pm

It may be good to make/have someone else make the Titansteel Bonecrusher.

Anyone else feel like seconding this?
Give me blood
kenshin648

Postby majiben » Sun Dec 07, 2008 10:29 am

kenshin648 wrote:It may be good to make/have someone else make the Titansteel Bonecrusher.

Definetly not for tanking, and not for dpsing as ret. A very costly subpar piece for tanking.
majiben

Postby Pallypete » Sun Dec 07, 2008 12:24 pm

I had the shield and the boots made (didn't get helm cause I'm an engineer and made goggles). I definitely don't regret it, simply because I've always liked being as geared as absolutely possible even if it costs me a good chunk of gold. I've been running heroics but relying on drops just plain sucks, and I've taken several beatings in a few of them that I'm quite sure I wouldn't have survived without all the extra stam/armour from my epics. If the Stratholme shield drops, I'll use that for maintanking, but I'll hang on to the Titansteel one to put a shield spike on or something.
Pallypete

Re: Titansteel. Do I need it?

Postby shindo1234 » Sun Dec 07, 2008 2:54 pm

get the titansteel shield until u can get a better one, like the one in H COS (that one is SEXY)
Alexstraza (Horde) Santcuff Lvl 80 - Blood Elf Paladin
shindo1234

Postby halabar » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:30 pm

Majiben wrote:
kenshin648 wrote:It may be good to make/have someone else make the Titansteel Bonecrusher.

Definetly not for tanking, and not for dpsing as ret. A very costly subpar piece for tanking.

But the spreadsheet is showing it very high on threat?.. we don't want threat?.. or is the the lack of +def?
Amirya wrote:... because everyone needs a Catagonskin rug.

twinkfist wrote:i feel bad for the Mogu...having to deal with alcoholic bears.
halabar

Postby majiben » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:58 pm

The lack of defensive stats (not defense itself) is a big no no. Yes It might be able to do 25 more tps than the red sword of courage but you've lost a good chunk of avoidance and mitigation. And that additional 25 tps is mostly wasted unless it's the difference between your dps pulling aggro and not (not going to be the case). The largest blow against it really has to be that it costs a lot and it's benifits, while not unwelcomed, don't enhance your ability to tank as opposed to a blue lvl 74 tanking weapon.
majiben

Postby Brand » Fri Dec 12, 2008 1:21 am

Majiben wrote:The lack of defensive stats (not defense itself) is a big no no. Yes It might be able to do 25 more tps than the red sword of courage but you've lost a good chunk of avoidance and mitigation. And that additional 25 tps is mostly wasted unless it's the difference between your dps pulling aggro and not (not going to be the case). The largest blow against it really has to be that it costs a lot and it's benifits, while not unwelcomed, don't enhance your ability to tank as opposed to a blue lvl 74 tanking weapon.

Also, by having straight AP instead of Str takes a little away from our scaling threat stat and the additional BV we would have gotten (something like 11 or 12 BV from RSoC). Doesn't seem like much, but having more of a versatile and scalable stat is much better than having a bit more of a non-scalable and non-versatile stat, IMO.
"I wonder if there's beer on the sun." - Zap Rowsdower
Brand

Postby Thornir » Fri Dec 12, 2008 6:59 am

Titansteel is about Stamina stacking. Its not good for much else.

Tempered Saronite and Daunting are much better for Defense, And give a suitable amount of Stamina with it, so I'm sticking with that.

Really, the only Titansteel piece i can see myself getting is the shield, and that's only til the CoT drop.
Many fall, but one remains. - The Stranger
Men are but flesh and blood. They know their doom, but not the hour. - Patrick Stewart
Thornir

*Now with 100% more beef!*
Thornir

Postby majiben » Fri Dec 12, 2008 10:41 am

You're missing out on a lot of armor doing that.
majiben

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice