Remove Advertisements

Gloves - and Wotlk - enchant

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Gloves - and Wotlk - enchant

Postby Merodyn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:44 am

SO im abit unsure what to enchant to get on my gloves(the kirin tor rep reward ones)
Currently i just smacked on one of my borean armor kits on it(+12 stamina) but im unsure if thats the best alternative. As far as ive checked this far my options are -

armsman(+10 parry rating and +2% threat, dont really need threat right now)

Expertise

Or +20 agility on gloves

really unsure what to choose, so it would be great if someone who already figured it out could tell me :)

Merodyn at Dentarg EU
ImageImage
Merodyn

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:52 am

I suggest avoiding agility enchants. They give poor benifit to opportunity loss. +20 agility will only give twice as much avoidance as +10 parry rating in the best of cases (No DR). Would you say that a 2% increase in threat (about 2 talent points) is worth gemming one slot for dodge instead of str?
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Merodyn » Thu Nov 27, 2008 9:59 am

So i should go with armsman? i really dislike parry tho and i dont feel the need for threat. And about str, at least you get some more dps then, threat doesnt.

About expertise, how much expertise is actually favourable? since ive been thinking about that aswell, dont really have any expertise atm. And as far as i know parrygib is still ingame?
ImageImage
Merodyn

Postby majiben » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:20 am

Parry gib was never an issue for tankadins and is not an issue now the there are no crushing blows. Expertise is a valid choice for gloves but is not the strongest in terms of direct tanking stats (threat, avoidance and mitigation). Gloves and bracers don't have particularly strong front runner enchants. Go with what fancies you.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Dork » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:26 pm

I'm using parry+threat for the time being. Sure threat isn't a big issue for most people, but I still like to see how high I can sustain my tps. 2% threat helps with one of my "fun" epeen things, and really I haven't found threat to a complete non issue.

Consider this, Malygos phase 1, when done properly, will have your dpsers with 2x the dmg boost buff for the majority of the phase, while the tank is left with none. I haven't had anybody pass me and usually I'm way ahead, but there have been fights where there are warriors with huge dwound ticks creeping up on me enough to throw out multiple salvs. Hell, even locks and rets are up there. Mainly anybody who can apply some sort of dot with the dmg boost, because when he does the vortex in p1 I can't sustain very high tps during the vortex, you can spam instants and I direct my raid to heal off special attacks via JoLight to help with threat, but they still creep up on me with GINORMOUS (since they were applied with the huge dmg buff) dot/dwound ticks going during that phase.

Also, when we clear 25man naxx I just aoe tank all the trash in the zone. It's fast, it's easy, we can chat over vent while spamming our aoe zzzz mode abilities. For me, times like this I welcome any extra threat I can get on some of the mobs I might not be focusing my ShoR or that aren't getting hit by HotR, etc. Maybe, just maybe, the extra threat is helping me keep the 5th, 6th, 7th, whatever mob on me with consecrate/how just long enough to get to it with a ShoR. Then again, maybe it's negligible.

On top of the two above specific examples, I'm sure I could name some others. After that we have the bonus parry. With my current avoidance numbers, it's very welcomed. Sure I'm over 102.4, but my parry is still quite low relative to some other stats.

Furthermore, one of the alternatives, expertise, is quickly ruled out. I have 26 expertise just from my gear and glyph as it is. No, I don't try to itemize for it, nor do I gem for it, it's just there.

In short, this is what feels right for me right now and this is why. None of this is math based, it's all logic, most likely flawed lol, and feeling.

Sorry for the long explanation of why I chose my enchant, but it might help anybody who is actively debating their own glove enchant choice.
Dork

Postby Kilthanas » Thu Nov 27, 2008 1:29 pm

I like the threat and parry one but it just seems like total overkill. Without it I had zero issues keeping threat in Naxx with a 78 blue tanking sword.

I'm starting to think the Heavy Borean kit (18 STAM) might just be the best gloves enchant period.
Kilthanas

Postby rodos » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:41 pm

rodos

Postby Harlequina » Thu Nov 27, 2008 10:58 pm

Dork wrote:Furthermore, one of the alternatives, expertise, is quickly ruled out. I have 26 expertise just from my gear and glyph as it is. No, I don't try to itemize for it, nor do I gem for it, it's just there.

Same here hahaha... It's kinda annoying. I NEVER look to getting expertise, and barely even hit rating. But there's quite abit of it on a variety of gear.

They're both good for some reason, but I personally will never get that reason into my head. A miss can hurt, atleast if it happens on the pull, but can be fixed fairly easily.

A parry could prolly also hurt. Especially on a very hard hitting boss. But the expertise from the glyph is already alot.
Harlequina

Postby fuzzygeek » Thu Nov 27, 2008 11:13 pm

Kilthanas wrote:I'm starting to think the Heavy Borean kit (18 STAM) might just be the best gloves enchant period.

I'm enjoying the fact that stam stacking gives additional threat, personally.
fuzzygeek
Maintankadonor

Postby daemonym » Fri Nov 28, 2008 8:02 am

i'll be going with armsmen for the time being and if i end up not needing the extra threat or the minor avoidance, i'll go with strength.
Again. What grim vision this? Blood stained tomb, beer cans, and piss. This. Is no life...for a god.

Stokpile/Zurathustra of Ysera-US, Horde
Makin the WoW gold blog http://theahpile.blogspot.com/
I have 2 million gold. http://theahpile.blogspot.com/2011/05/i-have-2-million-gold.html
Total as of 5-3-11: 2,064,000g
daemonym

Postby Rorshach » Sat Nov 29, 2008 10:07 am

I would go with, and stick with, Armsmen.

While I am still far ahead in threat on any fight, I do notice that as we progress and our DPS gets more gear, the gap is closing. Our MTs got geared up much faster than any other raid role but the rest of them are catching up, generally it appears that warlocks are leading the bunch, sometimes mages. We may be completely beyond our DPS in threat at the moment but that will change so if you don't get used to TPS'ing your ass off now you may be in trouble later. Don't get lazy :P

I actually toss out a Hand of Salv now and again.

Now that I've reached defense cap with my gear without using a tanking weapon (and because Red Sword of Courage refuses to drop for me) I now use Split Greathammer to up my TPS. I regret the agility instead of strength but the DPS and expertise/AP plus my 2-set T7 bonus make it a better choice until Broken Promise or Last Laugh drops (although our MT Orc Warrior tank gets Last Laugh first of course).
Order of Medivh ~ Maiev US PVP
Sarcasm: it's a lifestyle
Rorshach

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice