Remove Advertisements

Threat Problems since patch

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Threat Problems since patch

Postby Morza » Thu Nov 06, 2008 8:52 pm

First thing I tanked since the 3.0 patch was the Headless Horseman.I tanked him about 5 times a day almost every day for the Hollows End event.Now when my friend would pull off me I just taunted him back and payed no attention since she used to get close to pulling b4 the patch when salv was still a blessing (shes an arms warrior btw).Recently when i found out that we can use tanking weapons instead of spell Dmg weapons I have been running H mech everyday hoping to get http://www.wowhead.com/?item=29362 to replace my http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32963 and i noticed that my warrior friend pulls off of me ALOT more often.This switch from spell dmg to AP is really bugging me.Any suggestions on how to fix my problem or am I just really bad at tanking all of a sudden?

My armory link is in my sig and heres hers

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Slyfoxxy

Oh and 5 days and no Sun eater just these damn cloth boots
Morza

Postby Helpunot » Thu Nov 06, 2008 9:18 pm

I have been hearing a lot of moaning about tps from lower geared pallies on my server, they all keep asking me what my tps is. As of 3.0.3 I am still pulling on average about 2.5k threat with steady threat spikes depending on the encounter upwards of 5k. I am however now the best geared pally on my server according to everyone I have talked to.

So to answer you, I think it's more a problem with blizzard trying to tune stuff to where it will be more equal at lvl 80 and your gear not being in their sights so to speak. They may be tuning stuff around BT / Hyjal gear, or your warrior friend may just be a really good dps'er.

Here is an idea though, get urself some Strength itemized stuff, or AP itemized trinkets and use em on the easy stuff like heroics and well... everything but casters now. You may be pleasantly surprised on how much threat you can pull, and also judge light, it is ftw.
Helpunot

Postby Barathorn » Fri Nov 07, 2008 1:12 am

Its definately not the SD to AP change, its the change with the damage reduction to seals that has hurt us at the lower end of the Tier scale. All I can advise is that you use sharpening stones, AP food buffs and follow your rotation as best you can.

Once you get the sun eater, honors call, a S2 sword or the kings defender it does get a little easier. I am running at around 1500 AP buffed and although it isn't easy, its considerably easier than it is if your under that figure. Give yourself kings [sanc if you have 2 pallies] and get an arms/fury warrior to keep up battle shout for you, a strength of earth totem from a shaman really helps as well.

Hope that helps.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
Barathorn

Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby Digren » Fri Nov 07, 2008 9:09 am

Sharpening stones are a great idea. Since they don't exist at 80, Blizzard isn't balancing around them. You can get them cheaply, stack them on, and have an edge.
Digren

Postby Kellel » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:25 pm

also if you have some honor and marks laying around ... a friend of mine suggested I go with http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32052 instead of spending your time trying to grind out that sun eater ;) I was trying to grind out the S2 gavel before the patch hit ... when my buddy told me .. no no no .. get the slicer instead ;)

I have similar gear to yours .. and my threat with this weapon is easily 1500tps :D .. the key is big 1H dps + HotR multiplying it ;). Just using a 1H weapon with high dps, you'll notice a huge increase in your threat ... experiment while waiting for your sun eater to drop ;)

Oh and don't forget to put Potency (+20 str) on it ;)
Kellel
Maintankadonor

Postby Valerius » Fri Nov 07, 2008 12:40 pm

Actually, Wizard Oil is still a more beneficial temporary weapon enchant for us in that it benefits more of the abilities in our threat rotation. I always keep a supply with me and I've had no problem holding off T6 DPS in a mish-mash of T4/T5/Badge Gear even since 3.0.3.
Valerius

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice