Remove Advertisements

Post 3.0 Weapon Enchants (L70)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Post 3.0 Weapon Enchants (L70)

Postby Zakkarai » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:38 am

There are basically five possibly viable enchantments right now, for weapons. Here they are along with my thoughts/questions.

Spellpower
This has been supplanted in power by the healing enchant (43 versus 40 spell power) and due to the AP coefficient introduction, is overall the least desirable enchant for a protection paladin's focused threat.

Question: would this (or healing) still be viable for AOE threat (i.e. consecrate spam) on a spellpower weapon?

Potency
This is the new spellpower, increasing both block value and AP/threat.

Crusader
Anecdotal evidence suggested that, even at L70, Crusader was the superior DPS enchant compared to Potency.

Question: does this still hold? Does the frequency of the Crusader buff mean it's better than Potency for threat/block? I know it's random, but mongoose was random and it is still the enchant of choice for warrior tanks.

Mongoose
While this enchant does not provide the block value and direct AP contribution to threat, it does increase both dodge (and paladins have a very favorable agility-to-dodge ratio) and crit (which will help with HotR, AS, and Judgement).

Question: threat/mitigation numbers-wise, how does this compare to Potency and/or Crusader? Could it be the premier enchant?

Executioner
This enchant was used by a lot of warriors for threat-heavy fights. As all of our threat abilities are spell damage, it seems like this is the least useful enchant of all.

So, what's the consensus? Seems like Potency/Mongoose would be the ways to go, but there could be benefit to Crusader along the same lines as Potency.
Zakkarai

Re: Post 3.0 Weapon Enchants (L70)

Postby KysenMurrin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:33 am

Zakkarai wrote:Question: would this (or healing) still be viable for AOE threat (i.e. consecrate spam) on a spellpower weapon?

No*. The superiority of Spellpower weapons for large AoE damage is because of the item budget of the items; SP is 1:1 with AP for threat, but you can get a lot more SP on a weapon than you get AP, because the caster weapons sacrifice DPS for it. The enchants, on the other hand, are static, and Potency is always superior to Spellpower.

(*Well, technically "yes", since you only asked if it was viable, not superior.)
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby Sabreyn » Sat Oct 18, 2008 10:59 am

Consecration has the same AP coefficient as SP coefficient, so putting Potency on a spellpower weapon would be better for AoE tanking than putting SP on a spellpower weapon.
Sabreyn

Postby Snake-Aes » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:09 am

.noitautis elbissop yreve ni rewoplleps staeb ycnetop ,gnilaeh rof tpecxE
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor

Postby Eanin » Sat Oct 18, 2008 11:37 am

Snake-Aes wrote:.noitautis elbissop yreve ni rewoplleps staeb ycnetop ,gnilaeh rof tpecxE

If you don't have an otherwise strong healing weapon, you might considering putting Major Healing on you spellpower weapon, and letting it double as both your healing weapon and your AoE weapon.

In terms of the main tanking weapon, I have potency, but I am seriously considering mongoose as I'm so far ahead in threat, it's not even funny.
Eanin

Postby PsiVen » Sat Oct 18, 2008 5:30 pm

Crusader is okay. I wouldn't really recommend it, especially as it gets worse as you level up past 70, is only good for slow weapons, and with the new super-short TBC raid fights, has a highly random proc rate. I'm not going to bother changing it to Potency but I won't be leveling Prot anyway.

I could repost my usual wishy-washy stuff but I'm just gonna summarize my previous thoughts thusly:
MONGOOSE SUCKS DON'T WASTE THE MONEY
Gladiator Psiven, 90 Tankadin
90 Druid, 90 Mage, 85 Monk, 85 DK, 70 War, 70 Pal, 60 Priest, 60 Lock, 64 Rogue
Longtime addict of Space - Glory Through Conquest
PsiVen

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:07 pm

Mongoose really that bad?
Lightbeard

Postby guillex » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:26 pm

Lightbeard wrote:Mongoose really that bad?

Yes.
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Lightbeard » Sat Oct 18, 2008 6:39 pm

Guillex wrote:
Lightbeard wrote:Mongoose really that bad?

Yes.

Hm my guilds main paladin healer has a S# sword with mongoose prepared for Wrath

So post patch its now worse then 20str? intresting
Lightbeard

Postby Mneme » Sat Oct 18, 2008 7:17 pm

I am currently using 20 agi for the reliable dodge and armor.
There are few who deny at what I do I am the best,
For my talents are renowned far and wide.
Mneme

Postby Kurvia » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:09 am

Tested with 20agi on MH, 20str and mongoose on my Muramasa

Can argue each has it's pro's and con's

Rouge Tears at a Tankadin having server first Muramasa make Mongoose sparkle even more 8)
Kurvia

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 19, 2008 5:52 am

Mneme wrote:I am currently using 20 agi for the reliable dodge and armor.
The 15 parry rating from a weapon chain may be worth more avoidance depending on how much ddge yo already have.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Cearn » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:31 am

Majiben wrote:
Mneme wrote:I am currently using 20 agi for the reliable dodge and armor.
The 15 parry rating from a weapon chain may be worth more avoidance depending on how much ddge yo already have.

I thought DR only apllies to ratings. oO
Cearn

Postby majiben » Sun Oct 19, 2008 6:44 am

This thread talks about it. Basically anything but base avoidance and avoidance from talents is affected by DR.
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Constantine » Sun Oct 19, 2008 7:16 am

I also wanted to add:

After I put potency on my Sun Eater, it looks like a bas ass lightsabre thanks to the ridiculously bright green glow.

WTB potency with red glow so I can have the Emperor's lightsabre instead of Yoda's.
No armory link necessary. I am so awesome that if you clicked my armory link, your computer would explode.
Or perhaps whatever the opposite of that statement would be.
Constantine

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice