Remove Advertisements

Hit 70, owned regulars, GOT owned by heroics

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Hit 70, owned regulars, GOT owned by heroics

Postby Rolfson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 8:33 am

Well, I hit 70 a few days ago and have been owning in regulars since then. So, i got uncrittable for heroics and figured I'd give them a shot. First try was in Ramps and failed miserably, but I went to SP and got through, not without difficulty. Heres my char link,

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Rolfson

What gems/enchants/gear upgrades do I need before I can effectively tank most heroics and/or Kara? Thanks for your input, Ill need it!
Last edited by Rolfson on Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 10:19 am

I tried your link and entering your name and only had a lvl 12 warrior show up. See if you can get us the right link and then we'll be happy to help :-).
Amirya wrote:some bizarre lovechild of Hawking, Einstein, and Theck
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:19 am

Edit: Ahhhh i found the problem, I put a period after the link. Fixed it now, thanks for pointing that out!

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... &n=Rolfson

there
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 11:45 am

Your gear looks pretty good for just hitting 70 :-). For heroics and raid trash you should wear a stamina trinket instead of your block trinket. You're in luck that it's the brewfest season which means you can get a +45 stamina trinket from the boss.

Try to get some of these rings. They are better for heroics and raid trash than either of your current rings.

You seem to be missing enchants in a few spots. Get defense to your chest and bracers. Make sure to pick up your rep enchant for your head from the KoT. You got the legs and weapon but forgot the enchant :-P. For your hands get +10 stam, +2% threat or agility if you still need to get uncrushable.

Do your dailies on the SSO island. The shield from their is great for both heroics and raids becuase of it's high armor. Run SV in your spare time to try to get the devilshark cloak. It's a great cloak but it can elude the best of us (curse you RNG).

When doing heroics make sure to use stam food, pop exilirs, bring a priest for fortitude, some CC and if you have a warlock with you kindly ask them to put curse of weakness/tounges on the mobs.

Overall very nice job gearing and following the stickies. Stick to the easier heroics and soon you be grabbing badges left and right.
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:03 pm

armory hasnt updated since, but ive gotten the KOT insignia for head and a few of the said enchants. As for rings and other items recommended, thanks for pointing me in the right direction

Also, ive been reading posts here since like level 30, so I spend quite a long time getting gear for 70 so i could start tanking once I hit it. Thanks though!

Edit: Just picked up the Delicate Eternium ring, but are any of those three you linked better than http://www.wowarmory.com/item-info.xml?i=29323?
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 12:11 pm

Looks like another bad link. Also WoWHead links show the item when you mouse over them.

EDIT: I got rid of the ? and it worked. The Tear is only good for fighting raid bosses if you need to stay uncrushable. It's a poor ring for heroics or raid trash.
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 1:29 pm

so of those three rings you linked to me, which two would you recommend going for? I already have http://www.wowhead.com/?item=24088
Rolfson

Postby majiben » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:10 pm

I posted them in terms of preference. But #2 and #3 are pretty close. #2 is a bit more stamina and mitigation while #3 is more avoidance but less stamina.
majiben

Postby Rolfson » Sun Sep 28, 2008 2:25 pm

alright, ill work on getting the first two, along with all the rest of my enchants and such. Thanks for all the help!

But do you think i should be able to tank at least some heroics besides SP and UB with current gear?
Rolfson

Postby Tharazaar » Mon Sep 29, 2008 1:34 pm

Hum, I believe you might give a shot to SV. Depending on your group it's not that different from regular.

The Bog Lords (only one is a must-kill) hits like a train and I think the last boss casts his spell faster on those water tanks.

If you bring some CC and maybe a class able to offheal in one pull or two you should be fine.

For heroic Ramps, the mobs in there hits very hard, but again, with some CC, and many LoS (and patience ehehe) it's doable.

Good luck!
Tharazaar - Human Paladin (Protection)
Idriloth - Night Elf Druid (Restoration)
Arthurus - Human DK (Blood)
Thorium Brotherhood
Tharazaar

Postby Rolfson » Mon Sep 29, 2008 4:47 pm

alrighty, thanks thararazaar. Ill see if i can try SV tonight and get back on how it went.
Rolfson

Postby kysu » Tue Sep 30, 2008 1:00 am

If survivabilty is your issue take a warrior with you to TC and demo shout. It makes a huge differance for your healer. I don't use cc so with 5 guys smacken me it helps alot compared to 2.
kysu

Postby KysenMurrin » Tue Sep 30, 2008 3:50 am

Hey, you're on my server. :D

Can't really offer much advice since a) I haven't tried heroics yet myself (working on it) and b) everything's been pretty much covered.
On the rings, I have both the Protector's Mark and the Delicate Eternium Ring, but what I usually do is swap out the Eternium for The Black Pearl for a little extra stamina.
You'll get a little more flexibility once you grind some reps up a bit - the Aldor chest is an upgrade over the Warbringer in terms of defense, and Majiben has already mentioned the SSO shield for EH. The SSO neck is also a big health boost if you can afford to swap out a defense piece for it.

BTW, I m jealous of your belt. I can't afford the vortices for it. Belt and shoulders seem to be the hardest spots to fill, for some reason.
I don't play WoW any more.
Donnan - Nangun - Kysen - Kysen - Mardun - Timkins

Mostly-Book Blog.
KysenMurrin

Postby wawel » Tue Sep 30, 2008 5:38 am

I would consider:
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=28203 with 3x 12 stam
and http://www.wowhead.com/?item=32073 ( it has some str so you may use it just after expansion ).

You miss 40 stamina enchant ( legs )
If you pick new shiled pvp/rep your build will be like
http://www.warcrafter.net/sandbox/114394

so almost 14k hp with BoK and +/- 250sd with Wizard Oil. Enought to take every HC.

ATM If its about hc's you could take: SP ( easy ), UB ( with cc ), Bota (you may use cc when fighting 2greenkeepers 1mender grps). Its 11 badges.
I wouldnt try BF/Ramps as mobs there ( ramps ) got MS ability or (BF) hits for 4k on plate.
wawel

Postby Lord_Paladin » Sun Oct 05, 2008 12:51 pm

Heroic mech is probably the easiest heroic out there for us. If you still have trouble, grab a lock since they make those... tinkerers?... easier.

Also, once you have enough rep/badges I'd recommend getting the block libram. It helps quite a bit, and your paladin dungeon set drops a piece in there (on normal) and it will last you quite a while.
Lord_Paladin

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice