Remove Advertisements

Just entered outland questions

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Just entered outland questions

Postby Ängel » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:36 pm

Hello! As you can see by the title I just entered outlands and I am trying to gear. My question is should I be trying to pick up the quest gear with +healing damage or should I just continue to pick up + defense gear. Sorry if this is a dumb question, but I am very new to tanking.

Also is there any piece of gear I should definately pick up in Hellfire?
Ängel

Postby econ21 » Tue Sep 09, 2008 12:54 pm

Congrats - you are just starting to hit the lottery in terms of good tankadin (indeed paladin) gear. The early Hellfire quests give you some great rewards.

Often you get a choice of plate gear, some of which has int, mp5 or spell damage and so is "pally" gear; other does not have any "magic" stats and so is "warrior" gear. To be honest, for a tankadin, I find it a fairly even choice, but tended to go for the pally gear as maybe it helps us solo (we need mana for damage). Note that healing gear is rather different from spell damage gear though - the former has only 1/3 spell damage of its +health (and ideally is targeted at healadins); the latter has equal heal and spell damage (and is targeted at tankadins). Also gear with strength is generally aimed at dps specs (retadins, fury & arms warriors etc). But a lot of the early plate you find is kind of "hybrid" in spec, so you don't need to fuss too much.

The fel iron set is not pally gear, but is decent for your level if you are a BS or want to pay one.

To be honest, I would not go out of my way to buy gear from the AH - save the money for level 70 when the really good gear becomes available (along with the expensive mounts).

I would prioritise getting a good tanking weapon - one with spell damage - but again these come from questing. IIRC, there's one in the temple NW of Hellfire (Sentai's sword) and later another from killing a red spider in TF. Alakhazam is very useful for finding out which quests reward you with nice gear - you can just browse all the rewards for all the quests in a zone in one page.

Another tip: make getting Sporegar rep a priority when you leave Hellfire. The shield reward from their is great for AOE tanking (I am in purples and still have it in my bag).
econ21

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice