Zul'Aman Gear Drops, Which to use?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Zul'Aman Gear Drops, Which to use?

Postby jericho » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:12 am

Alright, I am a relatively new at tanking. I "grew up" Ret, but I found I just love tanking too much that I had to make my paladin a tank (my other toon is a prot warrior).

I recently was asked to tank ZA and got a few plate tanking drops along the way.

Jungle Stompers: I immediately put these on and gemmed/enchanted them. They were far better than my Shadow Labs blue quest reward.

Bulwark of the Amani Empire: Definitely right on there. Better than my Nightbane shield.

Should I put a spike on this? Do SBV enchant or just stick with the good catch all of stamina?

Battleworn Tuskguard: Another huge upgrade for me over and above my Dungeon set helmet.

The big question here is, how should I gem this? Go with 3 stam gems? Spell Damage/Stam, Def/Stam and Stam gems? Or some other combination?

Chestguard of the Warlord: I current am useing Panzarthar at the moment. I have the outside possibility to pick up Justicar at some point soon though. Is this chest piece worth it in my current setup?

A few other things... I have 338 Spell damage at the moment. I know its not a too tremendous amount. Should I be looking to improve my SP and Int just as much as normal Defense stats?

I am at 13587 unbuffed with ungemmed Chestguard+Tuskguard.

---

I figured I'd pick up the 100 Badge Pants relatively soon. However, I am really concerned about my mana pool. I was dissapointed that there was no Int on the badge pants. Losing 31 Int from my Justicar pants feels like it would hurt quite alot.

Any tips on gemming will be extremely helpful.
jericho

Postby ulushnar » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:16 am

The best chest you'll acquire this side of T6 is the Chestguard of the Stoic Guardian for 75 badges.

In the meantime, I'd personally take the T4 chest over the ZA one. Simply put the spelldamage will help your threat generation, which is a good thing if you're trying to stay above decently-geared DPs.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby ulushnar » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:19 am

Oh, and don't worry about +Int. The only time Intellect is useful is situations where you're not being hit enough (any situation where your warrior would be rage-starved), and even then, it's gonna take +40 int for one extra Consecration.

If you're tanking progression content, you should be taking enough damage that your mana pool is constantly refilling.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby jericho » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:47 am

Ulushnar wrote:If you're tanking progression content, you should be taking enough damage that your mana pool is constantly refilling.

That's the rub. I am honestly trying to have fun as a tank of a different class and prepare for the future. I have completely enjoyed the ride thus far. I am not going to be tanking any progression type content though. That is what my warrior is for. I am looking to be the best tank I can be right now for tanking Heroics, ZA, Kara and possibly stuff like SSC/TK and Hyjal on rare occasions.

I do plan on picking up a badge chest at some point. After reading alot of posts, I have the distinct impression that the 100 badge pants are the best thing I am going to see in terms of an upgrade. I have come a long way in a short time, but I still have a long way to go.

---

Any gemming suggestions for the helmet? Its a RYB socket set, so is it worth it to get the socket bonus or go 3xStamina? If you suggest getting the bonus, what do you think for the Red? Dodge? SP/Stam? What about the Yellow? Def? Def/Stam?
jericho

Postby Katerina » Wed Sep 03, 2008 10:58 am

Socket it to your needs IMO. Doyou need the avoidance to be uncrushable? Then gemming for dodge/def/stam is the way to go. Uncrushable with it ungemmed? Stack stam. :)

ZA trash usually hits hard enough to not oom me. At least not so much that I need to sit and drink. I wear a few pieces of healing gear (which has less armor/avoidance and more mp5) in any situation when my oom-ness is a bigger threat to the run than my face getting smashed in. <3 The healing shield from ZA has a yellow socket and (I think) 7mp5. It has the same armor/block as my tanking shield, so it, my t4 gloves, and my healing pants make good heroic tanking gear.

As a pally tank though, you don't want to stack int, if that is what you were considering. You can't get enough to make a difference, and it is easier to swap out a few pieces to threat gear when you otherwise overgear the instance than to gimp your boss-tanking set with int gems.

As a rule, if you don't need the avoidance, stack stam. :)

Oh! and gratz on your fat lootz. Lots of folks run that place twice a week to get those items. I've only seen the shield drop once on any of my four za toons and in spite of having done ZA a dozen or so times on my pally, still do not have the helm or the shoulders. :~
Katerina

Postby jericho » Wed Sep 03, 2008 12:03 pm

Katerina wrote:Oh! and gratz on your fat lootz. Lots of folks run that place twice a week to get those items. I've only seen the shield drop once on any of my four za toons and in spite of having done ZA a dozen or so times on my pally, still do not have the helm or the shoulders. :~

Thanks much. I honestly had the same thing happen to me on my warrior. I had never seen the boots drop for the warrior when I so desperately wanted them. Never saw the shield drop either. My guild ran be through there every reset for months to get me an upgraded shield back in the day. (Trust me, we had horrible luck on shields, no ALD, no Heart), I had started an arena team just to lose horribly on the prot warrior to try and get the s2 shield it was bad enough.

Anyway, thanks much. I am uncrushable with HS up regardless of the gems. So I guess stamina is the key. I find it harder to figure out what I want to do on the Paladin vs the warrior. On the warrior is mostly gemming for pure avoidance. Yet I think that would be counter productive with Paladin threat being Reactive. Or am I wrong? Should I still be trying to gem like I am a warrior tank and take for granted I am gonna get hit enough during content to produce enough reactive threat?
jericho

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice