Remove Advertisements

Question regarding heroics (from the overgeared perspective)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Question regarding heroics (from the overgeared perspective)

Postby Dimetrius » Sun Jul 27, 2008 4:41 pm

Greetings,

My paladin tank is an alt, so he got geared with every plate piece in Karazhan rather quickly. This means I can tank in ZA/SSC quite well, but it's been frustrating doing heroics. Guildies complain that there is too much downtime, because I go OOM to fast which is normal considering I'm doing it in MT gear.

So my question to you guys : do you have a separate heroic set and if so what does it contain?
Dimetrius

Postby Solarion » Sun Jul 27, 2008 6:17 pm

I don't have one myself, but such a set generally has lots of spelldamage and tries to avoid dodge/parry in favor of block and stamina.

If you don't have a set, there are a couple things you can do. You can take off some pieces of gear, or you can press X to sit down(sitting down is an automatic crit).
Solarion

Re: Question regarding heroics (from the overgeared perspect

Postby ldeboer » Sun Jul 27, 2008 10:46 pm

Dimetrius wrote:Greetings,

My paladin tank is an alt, so he got geared with every plate piece in Karazhan rather quickly. This means I can tank in ZA/SSC quite well, but it's been frustrating doing heroics. Guildies complain that there is too much downtime, because I go OOM to fast which is normal considering I'm doing it in MT gear.

So my question to you guys : do you have a separate heroic set and if so what does it contain?

Pull more mobs and take more damage means more heals means more mana.

I dont like sitting but I do turn my back to mobs to get some extra damage.

Make sure you take plenty of instance pots TK mana pots are usually cheap on AH or guildies, grab coilfang armorments and trade for pots for coilfang runs.

Hellfire you shouldn't have trouble with generally there is enough damage being dished out in those instances.
ldeboer

Postby ulushnar » Sun Jul 27, 2008 11:02 pm

I use my threat gear for most heroics unless the healer sucks. I also pull as many mobs as we can handle, chain-pulling if possible and I make judicious use of my sit key if I get too low on mana.

I also downrank to Consecrate rank 4 on all farm content.
Be careful when you argue with trolls, lest you become one.
ulushnar
Maintankadonor

Postby Dimetrius » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:14 am

Thanks for the replies thus far. I have been taking off gear as well, to the point of being "the man who tanks with no pants!" :wink:

Something I've been considering... I have some honor lying around and no intention to spec ret or holy. Is that "Aegis" set and the "Lamellar" pieces something that could be looked into? It lacks the real tanking stats, but being uncritteable due to resilience, loads of HP and spelldamage and even int look OK to me for a 5-man. Thoughts?
Dimetrius

Postby Dendrah » Mon Jul 28, 2008 12:39 am

if you got HP, armor, SD and are not crittable you can tank heroics.

Seeing your tankadin is an alt and your guildies complaining you probably have a decent healer behind you. Don't let him fall asleep. Make him work for his badges.
Dendrah

Postby Kyrael » Mon Jul 28, 2008 2:20 am

Just pull more mobs... should solve all your problems.

Means less pulls throughout the instance and more mana so you won't need as much downtime.

In heroics your job is not to take as little damage as possible. Your job is to take just so much damage that your healer has to work hard keeping you alive, but not so much that he fails and you wipe. If you are mana starved, your healer is most likely bored, and you'll be doing him a favor by giving him something to do.
Kyrael

Postby spelltank » Thu Jul 31, 2008 3:20 am

2 Specific things i use in threat sets that i wouldnt use for normal boss tanking and such:

http://www.wowhead.com/?item=30642
http://www.wowhead.com/?item=34470 - Or other threat trinkets, i just use this because i dont have any others

Otherwise, just make sure your dps is doing the job right, and dont bother maxing threat - if dps is good, you should only need to judge the mob once or twice with consecration to have enough threat to hold it until it dies. After the first mob dies, just put up seal of wis and swing at the remaining mobs, with a downranked consecrate. This should hopefully stop you using too much mana, if you still arent taking enough damage, try sitting or turning around.

Another nice trick if you have a healer with a lot of regen is to have a macro/use a mod to unequip and reequip your gear when you are out of combat, so your health will drop to around 5-6k or whatever, and you will require around 10k healing from your healer, and restore that mana.

With these sort of things in place, and BoW on, you shouldnt need to be drinking extensively. Just try to stack spelldamage and get a feel for what your dpsers are capable of, and dont try to do max threat, just enough not to threat cap them
spelltank

Postby Antagonist » Thu Jul 31, 2008 8:08 am

spelltank wrote:
Another nice trick if you have a healer with a lot of regen is to have a macro/use a mod to unequip and reequip your gear when you are out of combat, so your health will drop to around 5-6k or whatever, and you will require around 10k healing from your healer, and restore that mana.

Just quoting this to pull it out from the bigger post. It's a really clever trick that I'd never seen before and I like it quite a bit!
Antagonist

Postby Arnock » Thu Jul 31, 2008 2:55 pm

Dimetrius wrote:Thanks for the replies thus far. I have been taking off gear as well, to the point of being "the man who tanks with no pants!" :wink:

Something I've been considering... I have some honor lying around and no intention to spec ret or holy. Is that "Aegis" set and the "Lamellar" pieces something that could be looked into? It lacks the real tanking stats, but being uncritteable due to resilience, loads of HP and spelldamage and even int look OK to me for a 5-man. Thoughts?

I use the s2 lam shoulders for tanking, and yeah, if you are having trouble with mana, and if you have enough honor, go ahead and get some lamellar gear, it's got plenty of armor, spell damage, stam and int, which is nice for 5 mans/heroics if you have mana troubles

ALSO, look into getting 4pc d3, 10% mana cost on consecration is nice, in addition to the lower avoidance/higher spell damage you'd get
Courage not of this earth in your eyes
Faith from far beyond lies deep inside
Arnock

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice