Remove Advertisements

Spell Power vs. 2% Threat

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Spell Power vs. 2% Threat

Postby Kup » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:43 pm

Sorry if I missed this somewhere else but what is the point where 2% threat outweighs spellpower? I'm currently Kara/Badge/ZA geared and have 392 Spell Damage in my max threat set which I have 2% threat on my T4 gloves. I only use this set for trash and bosses like Dragonhawk in ZA where I'm on adds, not the boss as I'm slightly crushable in this set (like 99.5 rather than 102.4). Is 2% threat the right enchant or should I replace it with spell damage?

Here's what my math tells me but I am pretty sure I'm wrong. I figured with my current 392 spell damage 2% is equivalent to 7.84 raw spell power which with Righteous Fury equates to 14.9 spell damage, and if spell damage is equal to 90% of our threat adding 10% to 14.9 gives roughly 16.4 spell damage to be able to compare the two since 2% effects all of our threat rather than just spells. The 15 spell damage is simply an additional 28.5 spell damage with righteous fury.

If my math is correct at least for me the threshold for 2% threat to really be beneficial is somewhere around 700ish spell damage?

I think I answered my own question for my own situation but is my math close to correct?
Kup

Re: Spell Power vs. 2% Threat

Postby Maihes » Sun Jul 13, 2008 1:47 pm

Kup wrote:Sorry if I missed this somewhere else but what is the point where 2% threat outweighs spellpower? I'm currently Kara/Badge/ZA geared and have 392 Spell Damage in my max threat set which I have 2% threat on my T4 gloves. I only use this set for trash and bosses like Dragonhawk in ZA where I'm on adds, not the boss as I'm slightly crushable in this set (like 99.5 rather than 102.4). Is 2% threat the right enchant or should I replace it with spell damage?

Here's what my math tells me but I am pretty sure I'm wrong. I figured with my current 392 spell damage 2% is equivalent to 7.84 raw spell power which with Righteous Fury equates to 14.9 spell damage, and if spell damage is equal to 90% of our threat adding 10% to 14.9 gives roughly 16.4 spell damage to be able to compare the two since 2% effects all of our threat rather than just spells. The 15 spell damage is simply an additional 28.5 spell damage with righteous fury.

If my math is correct at least for me the threshold for 2% threat to really be beneficial is somewhere around 700ish spell damage?

I think I answered my own question for my own situation but is my math close to correct?

L2SearchFunction it does wonders.
Maihes

Postby Kup » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:03 pm

OK, first thing I said was that I apologize if I missed this elsewhere...

There was my apology. I was however very serious with my question, now if you have a link to another thread that covers this for me a link would be great, otherwise don't post just to bee an asshat. I am well aware that there is a search function, and the fact that I asked anyways means that I couldn't find it, if that's my fault, see the above apology and help, either way I have an unanswered question, hence the reason I asked. Thank you for your failed attempt to be a troll, now kindly provide me with said link or go fuck yourself.

Anyone care to actually help as these forums were designed for? And for everyone else I apologize for my mini rant.
Kup

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm

It's generally not a big deal to miss something that we discussed months ago that is no longer on the front page, and the search function isn't 100% useful, but this IS in the applicable sticky.

Here is the sticky: "Gems and Enchantments: A short guide":
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=4859

It links to this thread, which gets into more detail:
http://www.failsafedesign.com/maintanka ... php?t=7257

:)
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Jerey-Darkspear » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:27 pm

The sticky about gemming and enchantment probably has what you're looking for. Can't imagine it'd be sticky if it didn't.
Jerey-Darkspear

Postby Kup » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:34 pm

I read through there but that's what I dislike about these forums, that ones only 6 pages. Now there is a ton of great information here and thank you all for it but God forbid you have a question about gear... 154 pages worth of shit that 30% of has been changed due to patches. That is my mind is a good enough reason to take a quick glance and post a new question if I don't see it.

Thank you for the link!!!
Kup

Postby QuantumDelta » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:46 pm

Try seeing it from our side.
Morons who are too lazy to do something in their own interest come begging for the same question several times a week.
nani shini umareta no? nani shini koko ni iru?
ikinokoritai, umaranai kizum, hikari osoreteta
QuantumDelta

Postby moduspwnens » Sun Jul 13, 2008 2:57 pm

To be honest, I don't know how much better it can get than a sticky called "Gems and Enchantments" with a small paragraph specifically about glove enchantments, and a very short, clear thread linked below for more information.

However, if you have any suggestions as to how the forums are run, I'm sure a moderator would be happy to take note. :)
I rule.
moduspwnens

Postby Kup » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:11 pm

Understood, and that comment was directed more towards the gear thread with 150+ pages than gems and enchants with 6. I read the Gems and Enchants thread before posting but I must have missed the link for further details. In all honesty I did lose interest after thoroughly browsing the first and second pages.

As for the numerous people asking the same thing over and over, I hope people see the difference between my post and "hey guys which one is better?"

I have only had my paladin at 70 for around a month now and am trying to learn as fast as possible. I can be a bit of an elitist so if I see an answer that only half answers my question, I will ask another question that answers it fully.

Again thank you for the help, and sorry for any inconvenience.
Kup

Postby guillex » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:33 pm

Kup wrote:Understood, and that comment was directed more towards the gear thread with 150+ pages than gems and enchants with 6. I read the Gems and Enchants thread before posting but I must have missed the link for further details. In all honesty I did lose interest after thoroughly browsing the first and second pages.

As for the numerous people asking the same thing over and over, I hope people see the difference between my post and "hey guys which one is better?"

I have only had my paladin at 70 for around a month now and am trying to learn as fast as possible. I can be a bit of an elitist so if I see an answer that only half answers my question, I will ask another question that answers it fully.

Again thank you for the help, and sorry for any inconvenience.

No worries.

Just do remember, as was said before, that we go through tons of new people coming in, asking questions that have been answered before. Knowing how to use the search function properly (which means fiddling with it for a bit) is almost mandatory.

We've probably tripled in size since just before 2.1, and a lot of us are getting to the point of scratching our eyes out with this "same question syndrome".

Oh, pop by the Asylum sometime ... I like to put out cookies and coffee every once in a while.

Enjoy your stay! :)
Póg mo thóin
guillex

Postby Kup » Sun Jul 13, 2008 3:42 pm

Hopefully before too long I can help answer questions and be scratching my eyes out rather than giving you all a reason to scratch yours out :D
Kup

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice