Remove Advertisements

S2 gavel?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

S2 Mace!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Postby StopPokingMe » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:19 am

Season 2 Mace is far superior imo.

Resilience helps towards unccittable, meaning you can replace one of your def gems for a dodge gem which makes gearing a little easier. More spell damage, more aggro, more happy dps.
Image
User avatar
StopPokingMe
 
Posts: 80
Joined: Wed Jun 25, 2008 1:34 pm
Location: Phoenix, AZ

Postby Teyrocar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:37 am

I prefer the S2 mace simply because I like the flexibility of having a few points of Resilience. That way, if I get an upgrade that lowers my defense slightly before 490, I can still use it right away instead of waiting for my 2nd upgrade that would bump my defense back up. The small amount of extra spell damage is nice too.

However, the Punisher does have a small advantage in stamina, spell hit, and intellect, so if you already have it I wouldn't bother with the S2 gavel unless you're frequently defense-starved.

The sword off of Zul'jin is nice because of a slight stamina & intellect advantage, and the spell damage is nice too. However, the spell haste is wasted. I'd never roll against a caster DPS for it, the last time it dropped for me I let our warlock take it.


[edit] Wow, my sig is insanely out of date. Just go to the armory.
Image
Teyrocar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Bloodhoof

Postby Frickit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 11:45 am

I have the MGSW so I dont need the resilience...I also happen to think its one of the best shields to go for at that level. I prefer the extra stam/int on the punisher and the spellhit is useful despite what some might say. The extra raw threat from the S2 gavel is very nice though but the whole point is..who the hell wants to farm honor? Id rather farm arena points personally.
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby Teyrocar » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:01 pm

I like the MGSW but it's very situational when I can use it, and depends on what upgrades I end up getting and when, otherwise I find myself too far below uncrushable for my liking.

If you already have resilience I'd personally go with Punisher if you have access to that content. But the difference is so minor I honestly don't think it's going to make or break you. They both have their advantages, and a big part of which one you get depends on your access. Punisher never dropped for me, so I took matters into my own hands and got the S2 Gavel.
Image
Teyrocar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Bloodhoof

Postby Frickit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 12:14 pm

Teyrocar wrote:I like the MGSW but it's very situational when I can use it, and depends on what upgrades I end up getting and when, otherwise I find myself too far below uncrushable for my liking.

If you already have resilience I'd personally go with Punisher if you have access to that content. But the difference is so minor I honestly don't think it's going to make or break you. They both have their advantages, and a big part of which one you get depends on your access. Punisher never dropped for me, so I took matters into my own hands and got the S2 Gavel.


The two times the BotAE dropped I passed it to the off tank cuz it was a bigger upgrade for them. So for now Im stuck with the MGSW. Luckily the punisher dropped early on. I had the points saved up for a gavel and I just reversed them. My plan was a BotAE and a gavel...That might be a little better combo for a one pvp one pve upgrade scheme. But its negligible.
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 4:06 pm

Teyrocar wrote:The sword off of Zul'jin is nice because of a slight stamina & intellect advantage, and the spell damage is nice too. However, the spell haste is wasted. I'd never roll against a caster DPS for it, the last time it dropped for me I let our warlock take it.


I got the gear to switch a bit around to stay uncrushable, but I have no access to the later bosses fo ZA yet (don't really want to abandon my group to be boosted in ZA). So for me the the best upgrade I can see is the S2 gavel. The heroic MgT one seems inferior, but that's w/o doing any math on it. If Blizz just made a S2 gavel with PvE stats on that dropped in MgT...

However, I still think it's a major %&["up by Blizzard to let PvP gear be on par or better than badge gear for PvE. For the PvP community: Nice for you. For me? Sucks to do PvP as tank. Even AV, as there are usually 1-2 tanks aready wanting the one tanking encounter. Otoh, I'm still in the top 3 healers, even spec'ed as tank... Not much to brag about, but I'll take my credit where I can get it :)

Cheers :)
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am

Postby towelliee » Tue Jul 08, 2008 6:41 am

Being that S3 probably won't be out for some time and I already have about 11k Honor. Should I just go ahead and grind the honor for the Gavel? What else could I need. I already have the SHield Wall Shield for tanking trash and Heroics.

I mean its a what 13-14 boost in SD only? Resil makes it nice though for me to play around with gear.
towelliee
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

Postby Frickit » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:38 am

towelliee wrote:Being that S3 probably won't be out for some time and I already have about 11k Honor. Should I just go ahead and grind the honor for the Gavel? What else could I need. I already have the SHield Wall Shield for tanking trash and Heroics.

I mean its a what 13-14 boost in SD only? Resil makes it nice though for me to play around with gear.


you wont need anything more than the s2 really
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby Aerfalle » Tue Jul 08, 2008 7:29 pm

Frickit wrote:I had fun getting the mace to start out with. Plus its nice realizing that you'll never need honor again after that grind. Arena for the s2 shield was also kinda fun. Now that I have it I dont have to go back, simple.

Well... you can grind the spell damage trinket which is nice.

Personally I'm grinding a ton of s2 holy gear and will try for 1800 for s3 :P
Image
Image
User avatar
Aerfalle
 
Posts: 183
Joined: Wed Apr 16, 2008 12:09 pm

Postby Marker » Wed Jul 09, 2008 12:27 am

I find honourgrinding a bit better now that I've got ok gear. I'm normally the first into galvs room. Hell, I'm often down to half health before the people come, having built up a nice chunk of threat. After that it's straight for Drek and AoE tank as soon as it's enough people over there and enough towers are capped, maybe capping RH or towers while I wait. Having an extra tank or two is always nice anyways for the extra taunt or to put some of the add strain off the MT, since DPS normally goes balls to the walls in there.

How is the honourgain rate from the different objectives? When is it most optimal to start the Drek encounter? Do I loose much aggro if we down him with all warmasters still alive?
Marker
 
Posts: 121
Joined: Tue Jan 08, 2008 2:57 am

Postby Hierax » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:09 am

so something that was said in here....I just dropped from 485 to 484 for my heroic set...but I have 20ish resiliance.....

Can that guarrantee me still being uncrit ?
Image
Hierax
 
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 10:48 am

Postby Teyrocar » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:15 am

With that much resilience you can drop to about 479 before you become crittable.

There are also mods that tell you if you're crittable or not, as well as scripts that you type in (one is on Wowwiki). I use Tankadin.
Image
Teyrocar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Bloodhoof

Postby towelliee » Wed Jul 09, 2008 10:51 am

I use the Shield Wall from S2 and about to get Gavel to see if that works out better then my Armani Punisher.

So with Gavel and Shield how low can my def drop? Was thinking 480ish
towelliee
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

Postby Teyrocar » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:29 am

towelliee wrote:So with Gavel and Shield how low can my def drop? Was thinking 480ish

With the Gavel alone you can drop to 479. With the Gavel (18 ) AND the Shield (31) you can drop to 460.

Just keep in mind, however, that Resilience =/= Mitigation, and you'll still have to worry about maintaining uncrushability. That's been my main problem with switching to the S2 shield, I always seem to need that last bit of avoidance to push me over 102.4%.
Image
Teyrocar
 
Posts: 97
Joined: Tue Apr 22, 2008 6:35 am
Location: Bloodhoof

Postby Snake-Aes » Thu Jul 10, 2008 5:34 am

Teyrocar wrote:
towelliee wrote:So with Gavel and Shield how low can my def drop? Was thinking 480ish

With the Gavel alone you can drop to 479. With the Gavel (18 ) AND the Shield (31) you can drop to 460.

Just keep in mind, however, that Resilience =/= Mitigation, and you'll still have to worry about maintaining uncrushability. That's been my main problem with switching to the S2 shield, I always seem to need that last bit of avoidance to push me over 102.4%.

And defense is the second best stat to attain uncrushability.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15538
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest
?php } else { ?