Remove Advertisements

S2 gavel?

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

S2 gavel?

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:54 am

I'm not sure if this has been answered before, but I was wondering: Why is the best weapon for pallytanks only available from pvp? PvP as tank is utterly horrible, you get none of the healing abilities from the holy tree, and when you stack healing gear on, you lose all the survivability from prot.

Anyone else has any good advice on how to get that gavel? I'm 8k honor short, and a 2 hour grind today netted me a whopping 1k.

Alright, there are some better maces in later content, but I'm not about to go there until long after WotLK comes out.

Cheers :)
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 7:57 am

Because Blizzard is stupid®

They even stated they didn't like how pvp overrewarded compared to PvE and pretend to change that in WotLK, and that they want to mix up as in "you can do one to do other, kinda"
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15525
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:08 am

If I'd spent as much time in BG as I have in Heroics and Kara, I don't think I'd be at the gear lvl I am at now.

And it really sucks that I have to do the one thing my spec sucks at to get an item to do the thing my spec is good at. They really should release new badge weapons as well, and on par with the pvp ones.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am

Postby Snake-Aes » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:18 am

duruk wrote:If I'd spent as much time in BG as I have in Heroics and Kara, I don't think I'd be at the gear lvl I am at now.
But hunters, rogues, warlocks, warriors, priests, magi, and druids do.

PvP gear is still subpar compared to raid gear, but the problem is that getting pvp gear of superior tiers is too easy.
You can half afk your way into s2 gear, which is almost as good as t4 gear in many cases.
Image
I am not allowed to seduce the abyssal's lunar mate.
User avatar
Snake-Aes
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 15525
Joined: Thu Nov 01, 2007 3:15 am
Location: Thorns

Postby Frickit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:21 am

I had fun getting the mace to start out with. Plus its nice realizing that you'll never need honor again after that grind. Arena for the s2 shield was also kinda fun. Now that I have it I dont have to go back, simple.

Plus, Ive seen three other viable tanking weps drop in addtion to my Amani Punisher that Ive passed on. So there are other weps out there as well.
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am

Frickit wrote:Plus, Ive seen three other viable tanking weps drop in addtion to my Amani Punisher that Ive passed on. So there are other weps out there as well.


Oh? Could you give me a pointer? As I said, I'm not doing 25-man raids, and I don't think I will. I'm still using the KoT rep blade, but that one and my shoulders are the only items still blue. And as I'm far from doing more than the first boss of ZA, that gavel is my best chance for a weapon upgrade before WotLK comes with better gear.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am

Postby lesurk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:30 am

Be happy you don't have to arena for it like I did a year ago :D
lesurk
 
Posts: 46
Joined: Sat Jul 05, 2008 3:36 pm

Postby Frickit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:39 am

duruk wrote:
Frickit wrote:Plus, Ive seen three other viable tanking weps drop in addtion to my Amani Punisher that Ive passed on. So there are other weps out there as well.


Oh? Could you give me a pointer? As I said, I'm not doing 25-man raids, and I don't think I will. I'm still using the KoT rep blade, but that one and my shoulders are the only items still blue. And as I'm far from doing more than the first boss of ZA, that gavel is my best chance for a weapon upgrade before WotLK comes with better gear.


Theres one in heroic magisters terrace I think. Theres a pretty decent blue in Heroic Bot(I think it had better stats than the CoT one iirc). And the eagle boss in za is an easy fight. If you can down Nalorak you can run 20 feet to go kill Akil'zon. If you cant do the guantlet have a hunter pet target the tempest from around the corner and pull him down to eliminate the eagles from spawning.

If you arent doing 25 mans you should be good with the wep you have. Try to do some clears in Heroic MgT.
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby Colette » Mon Jul 07, 2008 8:47 am

Don't forget the sword from Zul'jin. It's definitely the hardest to get as far as heroics/10 mans go, but it'll last you till Hyjal if you start doing 25 mans.
Image
Image
User avatar
Colette
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm
Location: Exodar(US)

Postby duruk » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:08 am

Frickit wrote:Theres one in heroic magisters terrace I think. Theres a pretty decent blue in Heroic Bot(I think it had better stats than the CoT one iirc).


The PvP gavel is better, it seems to me. And I'm having a hard time finding groups to go there, most of my friends only want the normal one. I'll give it a try, tho. I've had some upgrades since my last attempt.

Frickit wrote:And the eagle boss in za is an easy fight. If you can down Nalorak you can run 20 feet to go kill Akil'zon. If you cant do the guantlet have a hunter pet target the tempest from around the corner and pull him down to eliminate the eagles from spawning.


We had a go at him a couple of weeks ago, but we didn't have the dps to get him down. Our healers went OOM at ournd 50% or so, so either I'm taking a lot more dmg and I need to gear up, or healers and dps needs to step up. Me and the offtank warrior were usually around 50k threat ahead :/

The gauntlet was easy tho, just walk backwards and pickup whatever comes down with a concecrate.

Frickit wrote:If you arent doing 25 mans you should be good with the wep you have. Try to do some clears in Heroic MgT.


It's not that I'm not doing fine with the weapon I have, but while I'm still running kara, a lot of guildies are working on Kael and Vashj and geared for those fights. When they come to me for an heroic or help in my kara group, I'd like to be able to keep up a bit better. And I try to improve myself as best as I can. And as far as I can see, the S2 gavel is the best tankadin weapon outside 25-mans.
Duruk, EU-Khadgar - Lvl85 Paladin Tank.
duruk
 
Posts: 117
Joined: Thu Jun 19, 2008 12:14 am

Postby Colette » Mon Jul 07, 2008 9:13 am

duruk wrote:Our healers went OOM at ournd 50% or so, so either I'm taking a lot more dmg and I need to gear up, or healers and dps needs to step up. Me and the offtank warrior were usually around 50k threat ahead :/


There's an awful lot of raid-wide damage going out in this fight. It's actually a kind of gear check for healers.
Image
Image
User avatar
Colette
 
Posts: 38
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:14 pm
Location: Exodar(US)

Postby towelliee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:26 am

How is season 2 better the Punisher? I dont get itttt
towelliee
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

Postby Frickit » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:30 am

Colette wrote:
duruk wrote:Our healers went OOM at ournd 50% or so, so either I'm taking a lot more dmg and I need to gear up, or healers and dps needs to step up. Me and the offtank warrior were usually around 50k threat ahead :/


There's an awful lot of raid-wide damage going out in this fight. It's actually a kind of gear check for healers.


Ya if people are taking too much chain damage the healers are going to have a hard time, it isnt the tank usually. But its a pretty easy fight to master with practice. The Punisher looks cool so gl getting it to drop.

The S2 gavel is one of the best weps your gonna get your hands on for sure, you just have to do the grind. I suspect that we were never meant to always get our spell damage from a wep but thats the way it is now...also its giving prot pallys an excuse to do some pvping. No biggy its worth it.
Image
Frickit
 
Posts: 1356
Joined: Sun Oct 14, 2007 10:34 pm

Postby towelliee » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:32 am

If i have the punisher is it worth getting the gavel?
towelliee
 
Posts: 1160
Joined: Tue May 27, 2008 8:09 am

Postby moduspwnens » Mon Jul 07, 2008 10:37 am

towelliee wrote:If i have the punisher is it worth getting the gavel?


[item=32963]Merciless Gladiator's Gavel[/item]
[item=33283]Amani Punisher[/item]

Not really. Not the S2 one, at least.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest