Remove Advertisements

Dailies as prot suck

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Postby Mithos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:10 pm

I invested early on in a full spell dmg pvp set to grind with via arena, because my paladin was my only 70 char (and until about a week ok still was). I got about 800/900 ish spell dmg unbuffed with about 250/270 resi (more than enough to be crit immune actually...),27% crit ish and lots of mana/HP, just get a mage friend to give you water and aoe everything you can find :p.
Mithos

Postby Drae » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:38 pm

I stack spell damage with a few of pieces of the blue dungeon set (spell dmg/mp5 gemmed) and a couple of pieces of T4 for the bonuses. Then I run around with my lollipop and sporeggar shield and badge libram (the one that boosts righteousness damage) and things seem to go pretty quickly.
Drae

Postby rodos » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:57 pm

I'm sure glad I never rolled on a PvP server. Sounds like a pain.

For dailies (and I'm exalted with all the "daily factions"), I just chose the ones I could do quickly as prot in tank gear -- i.e. those with little or no killing, or that can be done with AoE. When single-target killing was unavoidable I went with all my +spell gear BoWis, JoWis, SoV or SoR.

My "prot daily list" would be something like:

Skettis: Bombing (high def = no dismounts), escape if you see the guy, otherwise skip it.

Ogri'la: Bombing (crusader aura is a big help here), simple simon, banish demons if you have good +dmg for pew-pew-exorcism.

Netherwing: You can do the flayer quest in 1-2 pulls as prot, booterang, gather supplies, mine/herb if you can, deadliest trap is easily cheezed (as Aldor anyway) but takes a while.

Sunwell: Bloodberries, sentinel conversions, kill demons, ley lines, bombing run, ships (again can be done easily in 1-2 pulls if it's not crowded), Ata'mal armaments (again, 1 pull if you get lucky with the drops), multiphase survey, sunfury attack plans (AoE the geologists). Add in the naga-killing ones if you like, but the key one has crappy drop rates.

Do the cooking and fishing daily too. Even with fishing skill of 1 you can do Crocolisks in the City.
rodos

Postby Fivelives » Thu Jun 26, 2008 10:29 pm

I'm not really QQing here, just want to know what's a good decent set for grinding out daily quests faster. I play off-peak hours, so farming MgT isn't really a viable option (the only late nighters are pvp'ers and aussies that generally stick to themselves on my server), and QD is pretty much overpopulated at any time of day. To the point where gathering up mobs aoe-style isn't really effective.

Good point on the rep pvp gear, didn't think of that. Also good points on throwing on my threat set (~700ish damage) and/or grouping up with someone for the dailies.

On my enhance shaman, I blow through pretty much any mob, I was hoping to get at least half the kill speed on my pally, but as is it's around a 2-3 judgement cycle (without imp judgements) per solo kill. I've always found it rather odd that I can take 30ish supplicants in one pull and finish killing them almost as fast as I can take around 2 mobs one at a time.
Fivelives

Postby Lakirby » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:29 am

I do dailies in my highest spelldmg tanking gear, I have about 650-700 spelldmg, with a few proc trinkets/SSO exalted caster neck. My mana pool goes fast, but I'm virtually unkillable. I'm on a PvE server though, so I don't have to worry about ganking (unless I'm ret in my Kara/ZA gear with my Torch of the Damned, in which case I'm tempted to smack flagged hordies!).
<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 9/9 BT
Retiring 11/07/08 - Tanking to the bitter end.
Lakirby

Postby Keldorn » Fri Jun 27, 2008 6:12 am

uke wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.

Nagrand, Hellfire, SMV and mining/herbing if you have the skills for quests for SSO. Or just run MGT?

Exalted with SSO is so easy to get that no-one who needs those shields has any excuse not to get them really.

Barathorn

MGT is pretty tough for my gear level, and those dailies are a pain without epic flying.

Eh? You're friggin T6 geared. I ran h-MGT and I'm barely in the T4-T5 range with badge gear, and did it with no problems. You're right, you are QQ'ing.

That, and I grinded about 95% of my SSO rep by 1. cobbling together a ret set + Oathkeeper 2.) respec my prot talent setup to spare a point into a seal of command. 3.) do dailies, running around and smacking stuff with a hammer. This doesn't include the Outland ones as well, the Nagrand, Netherstorm, and SMV ones do NOT require an epic flyer, as the areas to do them are relatively close to the flight points and VERY easy to do, just aoe grind the Netherstorm/SMV ones. The Terrorkar one is a pain, though, I usually skip it.

There really is no excuse for not having the SSO shields, except laziness and crying about anything that requires effort. It just takes a little time, and the effort compared to the benefit of a Nightbane-drop equivelant shield is just stupid-good.

Thats a bit of a retard thing to say PUT MORE effort in etc some people actually work for a living and when they get home are then requested to raid instances like BT and MH. This means little time to farm Rep or gear outside of End Game instances as a matter of fact in my case i have little time to even gather Herbs and Buffing food but i manage.

So get off your High Horse and stop calling people lazy.......
Keldorn

Postby uke » Fri Jun 27, 2008 8:33 am

Keldorn wrote:
uke wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.

Nagrand, Hellfire, SMV and mining/herbing if you have the skills for quests for SSO. Or just run MGT?

Exalted with SSO is so easy to get that no-one who needs those shields has any excuse not to get them really.

Barathorn

MGT is pretty tough for my gear level, and those dailies are a pain without epic flying.

Eh? You're friggin T6 geared. I ran h-MGT and I'm barely in the T4-T5 range with badge gear, and did it with no problems. You're right, you are QQ'ing.

That, and I grinded about 95% of my SSO rep by 1. cobbling together a ret set + Oathkeeper 2.) respec my prot talent setup to spare a point into a seal of command. 3.) do dailies, running around and smacking stuff with a hammer. This doesn't include the Outland ones as well, the Nagrand, Netherstorm, and SMV ones do NOT require an epic flyer, as the areas to do them are relatively close to the flight points and VERY easy to do, just aoe grind the Netherstorm/SMV ones. The Terrorkar one is a pain, though, I usually skip it.

There really is no excuse for not having the SSO shields, except laziness and crying about anything that requires effort. It just takes a little time, and the effort compared to the benefit of a Nightbane-drop equivelant shield is just stupid-good.

Thats a bit of a retard thing to say PUT MORE effort in etc some people actually work for a living and when they get home are then requested to raid instances like BT and MH. This means little time to farm Rep or gear outside of End Game instances as a matter of fact in my case i have little time to even gather Herbs and Buffing food but i manage.

So get off your High Horse and stop calling people lazy.......

Wow, you registered and made your first post just to call me out on a post that I explained even further in later points, all the while completely missing the point I was trying to make. I'm flattered.

If you bothered to read my later posts, I pointed out that, indeed, the only thing stopping someone from hitting SSO exalted was lack of time and effort. You do dailies long enough, you hit exalted. Easy peasy.

I ALSO broke down the fact that, even though SSO dailies can be a pain (which they can be on a PVP server), it was STILL the easiest, least painful way to obtain very high quality shields, necklaces, and crafting gear, of which anything else in its item level takes even significantly more effort.

Therefore, it all comes down to:

"If you're not already Kara/T4 geared, and need a nice shield, your best option is to grind SSO rep. Either go about the more difficult methods (which I explained), or just suck it up and do it."

Further, I do have a job, thank you very much. Second, I don't think someone being pulled into BT raids cares about the SSO shields that much.

If you're going to have your first post be this awesome call-out, that you dug up AFTER our argument was done and buried, try to get your info straight. Thanks.
uke

Dailies...

Postby Dimitry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 2:46 pm

I do some of the SSO dailies in a mish-mash of my tanking gear and some +spelldamage stuff for soloing. Unless I'm in the mood for pain, I just stick to the ones a prot Paladin can whiz through. Usually I do them in this order:

The Battle Must go On (demons = dead to pally)
The Air Strikes Must Continue
Keeping the Enemy at Bay (AOE grind tanking ftw)

While doing those, I also do Open for Business and Know your Ley Lines, then back to Outland for (in this order):

Gaining the Advantage (usually do this over a day or two)
Blast the Gateway
Blood for Blood
Sunfury Attack Plans (AOE grind + 1 caster mob, it goes quickly)
Maintaining the Portal
Multiphase Survey
Skettis Bombing run (sometimes)
Ata'Mal armaments (also a quick AOE grind)

It doesn't take that long and those quests yield a good amount of gold. If things go right, I can get most of it done in under an hour. I've found that concentrating on quests that play to the paladin's strengths makes it much more fun. The biggest thing was finding a good spot to do the sunfury attack plans quest. :)
Dimitry

Re: Dailies...

Postby Kelaan » Fri Jun 27, 2008 3:44 pm

Dimitry wrote:The biggest thing was finding a good spot to do the sunfury attack plans quest. :)

I would normally start at the place southwestof Area52, where the big pipe hits the ground to the southeast of the mana forge. There's a small group there, and you can also usually get a whole slew of blood elf geologists rounded up nearby. I'm sure there's a better way, but only once did I not get it done in < 2 pulls. ;)
Kelaan

Postby Dimitry » Fri Jun 27, 2008 9:27 pm

Southeasish of manaforge coruu (i.e.: north of the hellfire SSO daily area) there are groups of sunfury researchers. Ever since I've started doing the quest there, it's taken 1 or 2 pulls. :)
Dimitry

Re: well

Postby Talmus » Wed Jul 02, 2008 11:36 am

Mavrix wrote:Personally I just stack on as much spell damage gear as is possible and do them with 1H+shield. Survivability is completely a non-issue and killing things still goes fairly smoothly (though obviously not as fast as a dps class). The difference between this and possibly using ret gear/weapon would probably be whether you're BE or Alliance as well as which set of gear that you have is better quality.

I know the OP is doing a warrior but the thread went in the direction of paladins. I highly recommend this. If you followed the advice that the gear sticky gives and saved EVERYTHING that was remotely useful as you leveled you should be able to get very high spell damage in a 'slumming it' outfit of way outdated greens. There's always going to be drops that while they're not that good compared to your normal gear give nice amounts of spell damage. My tanking sets run very low on SD...somewhere around 200. I can go over 500 unbuffed with gear I carry around with me. Nothing on the island is going to hurt you in that type of gear and I find the dailies fly by when I go that route (although I do switch to something less squishy for the Dawnblade Reinforcements so I can kill all 6 at once ;) ). You're still not going to kill as fast as a true dps class but I find it goes fairly quickly.

My general advice on those dailies for paladins...first of all pick up all the quests first so you don't have to do it later. Head to the one with the wretched/sentries first and skip the mana-draining wretched. Do it at the same time as you're killing the sentries and if you don't have AT LEAST two of the drops from the wretched (three if you're not wanting to grind) by the time you've killed the 5 sentries then just skip that quest for the day (and if you have the bag space pick up where you left off the next day).

Head over and do the bombing runs next, doing the demon one first after topping off health and letting your mana regen top you off there (I run blessing of wisdom for all of this by the way...goes much quicker that way). If you have a set of uncrushable gear with nice block value it's worth using it for the Dawnforge bombing run since you can just pull all 6 of the guys on the boat and kill them at once really easily then (they'll barely scratch you - I just run seal/judge wisdom and then let wisdom run all 30 seconds while I cons/holy shield them down).

After that I run over to the blood elves and get my Ley Line. 90% of the time I don't bother killing the blood elves. If it's busy it just isn't worth trying to pull them - especially the marksmen.

Next run over to the demons, get your ley line, plant the banner, and kill 6 demons. If you're in SD gear like I mentioned they die FAST.

Finally, ride over to the naga and pull groups of 2-3 of the warriors...you can burn them down in your sd gear pretty easily and probably survive a caster add too (I like to bubble if I get a caster add or two casters just to save on the health). After that initial kill of 2-3 warriors I'll kill casters unless I see a good 3-pull of warriors and I work toward the spot to get my final Ley Line (and using any keys I get as I have the chance). I get 3 of the orbs, find a group of 4 murlocs to release so I only need 3 orbs, get that part done, and if I have at least 2 ores I'll finish that quest, otherwise you just skip it and save it until next time.

That last part is really the key. There are 3 quests here - the one where you kill the wretched, the one where you kill the blood elves, and the one where you kill the warrior nagas for the keys - that can be overly time consuming depending on luck/number of people killing at the same time. Don't beat your head against a wall - if it's not happening EASY then just skip it and if you have the quest log/bag space save the pieces/kills until your next session. If you have good SD gear and you use that order you can knock these out in about 30 minutes or so...I've honestly never timed it but I do it post-raid some nights at 3am so I know it can't be taking me THAT long. :lol:

Kelaan wrote:
Dimitry wrote:The biggest thing was finding a good spot to do the sunfury attack plans quest. :)

I would normally start at the place southwestof Area52, where the big pipe hits the ground to the southeast of the mana forge. There's a small group there, and you can also usually get a whole slew of blood elf geologists rounded up nearby. I'm sure there's a better way, but only once did I not get it done in < 2 pulls. ;)

Absolutely. If you have a flying mount just fly around looking for concentrations of geologists. Other than tossing a rock at you to start the fight they do NOTHING. Gather up 5-8 of them and burn them down. I rarely have to do more than one pull although I *did* have one day that required 6 pulls averaging about 4 a piece. :evil:
Talmus

Postby ldeboer » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:05 pm

LOL yes they do my advice sell your body for "services" to guild locks or mages to to take you with them :)
ldeboer

Postby Blutreich » Wed Jul 02, 2008 7:10 pm

well my tankadin and Spriest are now exalted with SSO so i only run dailies on my BM hunt muti rogue and (keep respeccing) lock
Going to spend my cab money on more shots and just take the ambulance home
Blutreich

Postby Shoju » Thu Jul 03, 2008 8:13 am

I have a full spell damage set to do dailies. 500 spell damage 7500 mana unbuffed. Dailies don't suck.
Shoju

Postby Bubbletank » Thu Jul 03, 2008 9:08 am

I did all the dailies with my friends. But I gave them 25% of the cash i Received.
Bubbletank

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice