Remove Advertisements

Dailies as prot suck

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Dailies as prot suck

Postby Fivelives » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:44 am

Short & sweet: Are there any gear guides for pre-raid non-badge ret gear? I'd like a set for dailies questing. Or, should I just go pick up a bunch of 'of the boar' or 'of the monkey' greens out of the AH and slap on my world breaker (lol last 2h I got) then go to town?
User avatar
Fivelives
 
Posts: 3029
Joined: Sat Feb 16, 2008 7:55 pm

Re: Dailies as prot suck

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 4:47 am

Fivelives wrote:Short & sweet: Are there any gear guides for pre-raid non-badge ret gear? I'd like a set for dailies questing. Or, should I just go pick up a bunch of 'of the boar' or 'of the monkey' greens out of the AH and slap on my world breaker (lol last 2h I got) then go to town?


2 options really,

1/ get a friend to help and do the dailies together

2/ get the blue ret gear from rep and a reasonable weapon

Choice 1 is far better than choice 2.

I believe there is a pre raid ret gear guide on the ret pally site, I think its called cromfeld? [sp].Check in the general forum in the Other Classadin Thread.

Barathorn.
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7100
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:46 am

I went the above route in cobbling my starter ret gear together, hit up the rep vendors in Outlands for the starter PVP gear they offered.

In addition to that: you got some gold to burn?

Buy on the AH: Hammer of Destiny, Legguards of the Shattered Hand, Boots of Zealotry, bracers of recklessness, all the Ragesteel armor pieces on the AH (shoulders, gloves, and maybe something else).

Get the SSO neckpiece, Sha'tar and Aldor rep vendors (if you're Aldor) both have nice dps rings to buy. I believe that the Skyguard vendor has a nice dps trinket when you're exalted with them as well.

Next time you're in heroics/raiding, see if you can snag any off-spec DPS plate and gear that drops if no one else needs it.

Outside of that, start running battlegrounds.

Put +strength gems in EVERYTHING.

I've actually taken to Ret PVP during the week, and Prot tanking on the weekends lately, as I've been sucked into the world of Ret 8) . A lot of the honor gear is good for tanking as well (S2 mace and shield come to mind)
uke
 
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 am

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:57 am

If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island. For money, the best places are Ogri'la and Skettis, since people are always on the isle nowadays anyway.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

well

Postby Mavrix » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:58 am

Personally I just stack on as much spell damage gear as is possible and do them with 1H+shield. Survivability is completely a non-issue and killing things still goes fairly smoothly (though obviously not as fast as a dps class). The difference between this and possibly using ret gear/weapon would probably be whether you're BE or Alliance as well as which set of gear that you have is better quality.
If necessity is the mother of invention, laziness must be the father.

Mavrix

Dalaran

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n&n=Mavrix
User avatar
Mavrix
 
Posts: 875
Joined: Sun May 06, 2007 6:18 pm

Postby Barathorn » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:00 am

moduspwnens wrote:If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.


Nagrand, Hellfire, SMV and mining/herbing if you have the skills for quests for SSO. Or just run MGT?

Exalted with SSO is so easy to get that no-one who needs those shields has any excuse not to get them really.

Barathorn
Sabindeus wrote:I feel like I should get a t-shirt made for me that says "Not Socially Awkward, Just Fat".

Brekkie wrote:The world will always need people to dig ditches.
User avatar
Barathorn
Moderator
 
Posts: 7100
Joined: Thu Jul 05, 2007 1:08 am
Location: Hitting Panda's over the head with a cricket bat shouting Get Orf My Lawn!

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:04 am

Barathorn wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.


Nagrand, Hellfire, SMV and mining/herbing if you have the skills for quests for SSO. Or just run MGT?

Exalted with SSO is so easy to get that no-one who needs those shields has any excuse not to get them really.

Barathorn


MGT is pretty tough for my gear level, and those dailies are a pain without epic flying. I suppose I'm QQing, but the Skettis and Ogri'la dailies are more centralized and have fewer players.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 7:15 am

moduspwnens wrote:
Barathorn wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:If you're on a PvP server, option 1 is really your only choice... and even then it's not too viable. I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.


Nagrand, Hellfire, SMV and mining/herbing if you have the skills for quests for SSO. Or just run MGT?

Exalted with SSO is so easy to get that no-one who needs those shields has any excuse not to get them really.

Barathorn


MGT is pretty tough for my gear level, and those dailies are a pain without epic flying.


Eh? You're friggin T6 geared. I ran h-MGT and I'm barely in the T4-T5 range with badge gear, and did it with no problems. You're right, you are QQ'ing.

That, and I grinded about 95% of my SSO rep by 1. cobbling together a ret set + Oathkeeper 2.) respec my prot talent setup to spare a point into a seal of command. 3.) do dailies, running around and smacking stuff with a hammer. This doesn't include the Outland ones as well, the Nagrand, Netherstorm, and SMV ones do NOT require an epic flyer, as the areas to do them are relatively close to the flight points and VERY easy to do, just aoe grind the Netherstorm/SMV ones. The Terrorkar one is a pain, though, I usually skip it.

There really is no excuse for not having the SSO shields, except laziness and crying about anything that requires effort. It just takes a little time, and the effort compared to the benefit of a Nightbane-drop equivelant shield is just stupid-good.
uke
 
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 am

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:03 am

moduspwnens wrote:I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Governor
http://www.armorylite.com/us/stormreaver/Governor/

uke wrote:except laziness and crying about anything that requires effort.


Things are a lot different on a PvP server. On my Paladin, I was in ~T5 Prot gear doing dailies. On my warrior, I'm in pre-Karazhan gear and specialized as protection. Dailies take a while, and with 8.5k HP and 0 resilience on a PvP server, it isn't fun. Such broad generalizations as the one quoted above aren't necessary.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Postby DirtyMetis » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:33 am

Is the Ret PvP gear generally considered more viable over the spell damage set for grinding out dailies as Prot?

I've got 2/5 S3 scaled built up already (surplus arena points after I had my 4/5 S3 healing set with no prayer of getting the rating for shoulders or weapon) with all the corresponding vindicator pieces, but never thought to use them for running around solo as prot. Guess I just figured the SD set would be considered more in line with a standard pally tank's role.
DirtyMetis
 
Posts: 10
Joined: Tue Feb 12, 2008 11:18 am

Postby Macallum » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:56 am

Meh - I tried the ret set without respecing and didn't care much for it. THoguh it was a pretty sad set (1200atk, 15 crit ~50 hit?) things did die faster, but I took a much bigger pounding thanks to lose of all my defence goodies.

Factoring in eating / resting it was about the same speed as just doing it as prot. (SD ~330)
Macallum
 
Posts: 16
Joined: Tue May 20, 2008 11:35 am

Postby Maswin » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:21 am

As I've found there's only 2 ways to do the dailies;

1. Chuck on some music, relax and just grind away until you're done - if it's the SSO dailies then there are plenty of ones you can do without too much killing so at least do those each day

2. Find a friendly healer who shares the same pain in grinding and make it mind-numbingly easy for the pair of you.

Honestly the 2nd option is the easiest and best bet, chances are you'll find a healer to help at some point during the day, if not just look for other dps'ers to help...there are more people of similar gear doing the dailies than you realise...
Maswin
 
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:10 am

Postby uke » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:41 am

moduspwnens wrote:
moduspwnens wrote:I really want the SSO shield on my warrior, but I can't get dailies done on the island.


http://www.wowarmory.com/character-shee ... n=Governor
http://www.armorylite.com/us/stormreaver/Governor/

uke wrote:except laziness and crying about anything that requires effort.


Things are a lot different on a PvP server. On my Paladin, I was in ~T5 Prot gear doing dailies. On my warrior, I'm in pre-Karazhan gear and specialized as protection. Dailies take a while, and with 8.5k HP and 0 resilience on a PvP server, it isn't fun. Such broad generalizations as the one quoted above aren't necessary.


I too am on a PVP server. Areas of the island were occasionally gank-fests, in which I'd just go to another area of the island for different dailies until the gankers moved on. I would occasionally get ganked, and run back to my corpse and move to another area. And I still grinded out the dailies to hit exalted.

I stand by my previous statement. The only thing stopping someone, even on a PVP server, from hitting exalted with SSO is lack of effort, especially since the payoff is so extremely worth it. You're going to get ganked. A lot. You can either 1.) pout about it and remain undergeared or 2.) just do what you have to do get it done. Even with the ganking/time required, the gear you get with it is still easier to obtain than anything near it's level.

Respec Ret for a while if you have to, and get some ret gear (lots from rep vendors and the AH), it makes it much easier.

Either get it done, or stop pouting that you can't find good gear, when it's very easy to get.
uke
 
Posts: 1957
Joined: Mon Mar 10, 2008 7:23 am

Postby Aurelie » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:45 am

uke wrote:Respec Ret for a while if you have to, and get some ret gear (lots from rep vendors and the AH), it makes it much easier.

Either get it done, or stop pouting that you can't find good gear, when it's very easy to get.


He's clearly talking about his undergeared warrior here, not his paladin. If you're going to be condescending and obnoxious at least read his posts?
Image
User avatar
Aurelie
Maintankadonor
 
Posts: 111
Joined: Tue Apr 15, 2008 9:22 am
Location: Illidan

Postby moduspwnens » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:50 am

It's cool, I understand his point, and I will eventually get exalted with SSO on my warrior. I do think I have a valid reason to whine in the "dailies suck as prot" thread, because dailies do suck as prot, and are specifically worse as a prot warrior with no real gear on a PvP server.

Blizzard designed the game to ultimately require PvP to farm effectively on PvP servers, but yet there are many guilds on PvP servers that raid and need to farm for materials (unlike PvPers), and this puts an unnecessary burden on tanks (who have no real PvP viability). I hope there is more equality in WotLK, although with the direction Blizzard is moving, I doubt it.
I rule.
moduspwnens
Moderator
 
Posts: 6211
Joined: Tue Nov 06, 2007 12:28 pm
Location: Shattered Hand

Next

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


Remove Advertisements

Who is online

In total there are 2 users online :: 1 registered, 0 hidden and 1 guest (based on users active over the past 5 minutes)
Most users ever online was 380 on Tue Oct 14, 2008 6:28 pm

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest