Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests Here)

Get help with your character's gear

Moderators: Fridmarr, Worldie, Aergis, Sabindeus, majiben, lythac, Digren

Re: Gear Check/Advice Thread (All Specific Advice Requests H

Postby Thels » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:09 am

Have you tried to sim your character for DPS, then plug those values into AMR, find the BiS list, sim the BiS list for DPS, and plug those values into AMR again?

If so, what stat weights did you get?
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Halide » Tue Feb 18, 2014 9:11 am

I'm not 100% on simcraft, I couldn't find a setting to get the scale factors for dps as prot, where are these located? I currently get this
But this has given me another question, as i understand it the higher the negative number the more it reduces TMI? Why are mastery, dodge, parry and strength above haste? This is obviously a error, just curious what's causing it.(Simmed Halide, Arathor-EU against a T16H25 boss) My haste is only 46% odd, so it should still be valued higher until 50% right?
Halide

Postby theckhd » Tue Feb 18, 2014 5:30 pm

You didn't scale over TMI, you scaled over Damage Taken Per Second (as it says in the graph title).

You can change what metric you're using to calculate scale factors on the options page. Change it from "dtps" to "tmi" for TMI stat weights, or to "dps" for DPS stat weights.
"Theck, Bringer of Numbers and Pounding Headaches," courtesy of Grehn|Skipjack.
MATLAB 5.x, Simcraft 6.x, Call to Arms 6.0, Talent Spec & Glyph Guide 5.x, Blog: Sacred Duty
theckhd

Postby Thels » Wed Feb 19, 2014 2:54 am

What Theck said. Also keep in mind that SimC calculates weights by increasing each stat by 1000 (except for Hit and Expertise, which are decreased by 1000). This means that once your haste rating exceeds 20250, the value for Haste will no longer be reported accurately. Though with 46%, you should still be a little below this value.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Halide » Wed Feb 19, 2014 4:16 am

I have no idea how I missed the dps scale option, thanks for pointing that out.

The 4 piece is better than a full WF set for dps it appears (I changed the EF behaviour to cast as soon as you hit 3 stacks for maximum glyph of WoG uptime) or at least was with this gear set. The 4 set with EF'ing at 3 stacks had 732,980 dps, while a full WF set with default EF usage 730,224 dps, both had error margins ~ 160, 50k iterations, T16H10 boss. The gear sets are pictured below, the latter i used two crit gems to get the haste as close to 50% as possible, it gave a higher dps.

I'm fairly confident that all the none set pieces and thoks trinket are bis, but i can't figure out how to get a 2nd amp trinket to work correctly, i suspect the crit damage effect might take the none 4 set gear set slightly higher in dps, if the 2nd amp trinket even provides higher dps at all. Thanks for hand holding me through this :)
Halide

Postby Thels » Thu Feb 20, 2014 2:31 am

You can of course sim with Skeers, and then sim again with, say, the trinket from Galakras. Hard to say which one is better.

If you want more DPS out of the non-set pieces, it might be worth it to respec to Sacred Shield, as it won't eat holy power.

You can also mess with your rotation, by pushing AS and T90 to the top of the list, and see if that's a gain for you.

Also, I just noticed that your 4set set actually has 5 set pieces equipped. You are likely better off with replacing one of the 4 locked tier pieces.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Halide » Thu Feb 20, 2014 3:45 am

I may not have made it clear, this is as prot spec, with survivability not being a issue, isn't Galakras for ret only? The legs in my 4 set are actually the ret set legs, haste/crit, they're the best offset i could find while preserving the prot 4 set (Mastery is valued at 0 for dps). I spec EF because it's off the global and i'd be WoGing at 3 HP anyway, so may-as well get some survivability gain out of it.

I'm still trying to figure out the double amp thing, with a single amp trinket simcraft gives this
Dynamic Buffs
amplified
default_value:0.09
however forcing a 2nd trinket doesn't add a extra instance or increase the %, is there a way I can do this manually? Also, does anyone know if it's added or multiplied, if you have two amp trinkets? So 118% or 118.81%
Halide

Postby Nightwulff » Mon Feb 24, 2014 12:02 pm

Took a break from tanking for a while as RL got in the way and old guild fell apart. Been running as dps most of this expansion till new guild asked me to tank again. Got to 90, started finding gear and now I think I am ready to start tanking 10-man SoO. But am I? Here is my armory page:

http://us.battle.net/wow/en/character/s ... f/advanced

Am I ready? If not, at what point am I considered ready? I am hoping for an answer that doesn't tell me I need an XXX ilevel. I am above a casual raider but not quite a hardcore raider. I know how to play prot pallies and used to main tank in old guilds.

I am trying to find out what is baseline stats other than ilevel to be considered geared enough to tank 10-man SoO.
Nightwulff

Postby Taeron » Mon Feb 24, 2014 2:27 pm

Been stumbling on some heroic and even heroic warforged non-set pieces (helmet from Galakras,e.g.), but if I understand Theck's blog on 4-piece protection set bonus, it's stronger than normal > heroic/WF upgrades ...

I mean, it hurts looking at these heroic pieces in the inventory, but that 4 piece seems to make everything so smooth :)
Taeron

Postby econ21 » Mon Feb 24, 2014 5:44 pm

Nightwulff wrote:Took a break from tanking for a while as RL got in the way and old guild fell apart. Been running as dps most of this expansion till new guild asked me to tank again. Got to 90, started finding gear and now I think I am ready to start tanking 10-man SoO. But am I?

I guess you dps'd on another character? Because for tankadins, the dps gear is better than the traditional tanking gear you are wearing with parry/dodge. Generally, set your loot preference to ret unless the boss drops a sword, shield or tanking trinket you want.

I would ditch the strength/haste proc trinket if you can. Random spurts of haste are not that great for us.

On your question, I can't tell you what gear you need objectively, but you have somewhat less gear than SoO was tuned for. The rule of thumb is the previous tier's ilevel (522) is what a raid was tuned for, at least the first few bosses. You are not so far off, so I think it's doable with a supportive guild. The first four bosses of SoO are pretty easy to tank, imo. They are probably more of a test for other roles. Doing the first wing a few times would probably do a lot for you in terms of loot.
econ21

Postby Thels » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:49 am

Nightwulff: There are a few guaranteed upgrades that you can get your hands on without any luck involved:

http://wowhead.com/item=94265 - Haunted Steel Threads - Very nicely itemized 522 boots that most people wore for the entirety of T15, with only a drop from Ra-Den being a clear winner.

http://wowhead.com/item=98615 - Protector's Trillium Waistguard - Not very well itemized, but they're 553, which should be a clear upgrade over your 502 pants.

http://wowhead.com/item=103989 - Alacrity of Xuen or http://wowhead.com/item=103990 - Resolve of Niuzao can be bought on the Timeless Isle for 50k coins. Obviously better than your current trinket, though not too great of an upgrade, since they're still not very good for paladin tanks. You might also get some Burdens of Eternity while farming coins and use those to create 535 items.

Your item level is low. If your entire raid has your item level, you're better off gearing up through Flex first.

If the rest of the raid has a higher item level than you, they should be able to carry you through most of the instance, though Juggernaut will rely a lot on cooldowns (set up some external CDs there), and Garrosh will likely kill you. If the others are carrying you, I highly recommend gemming/enchanting more towards stamina. You currently don't have the health to survive 2 back to back hits from a lot of attacks, so getting more stamina would certainly help there. Yes, you will take more damage, but your healers will have to catch that up.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Thels » Tue Feb 25, 2014 10:53 am

Halide wrote:I may not have made it clear, this is as prot spec, with survivability not being a issue, isn't Galakras for ret only? The legs in my 4 set are actually the ret set legs, haste/crit, they're the best offset i could find while preserving the prot 4 set (Mastery is valued at 0 for dps). I spec EF because it's off the global and i'd be WoGing at 3 HP anyway, so may-as well get some survivability gain out of it.

My bad. The other benefits from the trinket of course still apply, but they don't weight up.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Tweety » Sat Mar 15, 2014 4:52 am

Lo all,

Not long come back from TBC raiding...
I've come back levelled up to 90 and decided to tank with my Pally..
Things going ok so far, just entered SoO Flex, and getting experience on Wings 1/2/3 (not tried 4 on flex yet)

I've seen a few posts above mentioning looting for DPS gear unless sword/shield/trinket...is this so through Flex raids or end content only?

http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Tweetster/simple My Char

I had http://www.wowhead.com/item=104765#dropped-by drop, should I replace it with my current chest?

Any tips on my current gear, and gear direction would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Tweety

Postby Thels » Sat Mar 15, 2014 10:19 am

Advanced view shows more than simple view.
http://eu.battle.net/wow/en/character/aggramar/Tweetster/advanced

First, get rid of Glyph of Mass Exorcism in your protection spec, and replace it with something useful, such as Glyph of Hand of Protection or Glyph of Word of Glory.

The 4 piece for protection is really good, so keep that. Only replace them with higher ilvl tier pieces.

For the other gear, higher ilvl is usually better, regardless of the stats that are on it, though there are a few exceptions. Regardless, you are interested in secondary stats in the following order:

Hit rating, capped at 2550 (2210 for draenei).
Expertise rating, capped at 5100 (4760 for humans with swords or maces and dwarves with maces).
Haste rating, capped at 21250 (unlikely you will reach this value).
Mastery rating, capped at 25400 (quite impossible you will reach this value if you go for haste first).
Dodge rating and Parry rating (dodge has a higher diminishing return, but since all your strength gives parry already, dodge might be better).
Crit rating (not very useful for tanks at this time).

However, feel free to take a Dodge/Parry flex item over a Haste/Mastery lfr item, as more ilvl also means more stamina and armor. It's a little different for rings and amulets, since they don't provide any armory.
ImageImage
Thels

Postby Tweety » Sat Mar 15, 2014 1:11 pm

Awesome reply Thels, thanks a lot for the info
Tweety

PreviousNext

Return to Gear Discussions and Advice